Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2008, 03:29 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
780 Posts
Discussion
Jaro Muller's Espada RL new rudder

Jaro Muller came out with a bigger rudder for the Espada RL. It takes a little bit of modding to put on the rudder, so if anyone is interested I can make a mod thread.

I was lucky enough to be the first person in the US to try it out, and let me tell you the rudder is awesome. The rudder helps in the landing circle as you can rudder the plane around more. It also helps while the plane is turning; some people have trouble turning the RL when they donít know how to fly it. With the bigger rudder the plane turns better, and feels easier to turn. So even Daryl P. will be able to fly it

While testing it I passed the radio around to the local pilots who fly RL's; they liked it so much I had to rip the transmitter out of their hands to get it back..... Most of them ordered one from SkipMillerModels on the spot.

Little Cody
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2008, 03:33 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,518 Posts
Cody,
You're becoming positively retro. A counterbalanced rudder? Those went away after Skip won the Worlds with an Aquila. Was he getting teary eyed and nostalgic when he flew your RL?

Jim Thomas
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Feb 28, 2008, 04:02 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5
Cody,
You're becoming positively retro. A counterbalanced rudder? Those went away after Skip won the Worlds with an Aquila. Was he getting teary eyed and nostalgic when he flew your RL?

Jim Thomas
Although not constructive, I nominate that for best comment of the day.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Feb 28, 2008, 04:06 PM
Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2001
879 Posts
JT's rarely constructive in his comments, but is usually quite humorous.

BTW, I like the big rudder . . .

Mark
MarcusT is offline Find More Posts by MarcusT
Old Feb 28, 2008, 04:12 PM
Denver
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
The new rudder is awesome. The plane seems to better groove in a turn, and it now has complete rudder authority in the landing circle.
Two thumbs up
Bobalew is offline Find More Posts by Bobalew
Old Feb 28, 2008, 04:25 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusT
JT's rarely constructive in his comments, but is usually quite humorous.

BTW, I like the big rudder . . .

Mark

You snake, give me back the Swift!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:36 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,686 Posts
That does seem very retro. Wouldn't it have been simpler (and easier to retrofit) if they had just increased the chord of the rudder? Oh well, whatever works. Its not as if I'm ever likely to fly one.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:54 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
St. Louis
Joined Apr 2002
1,454 Posts
Well, whatever works, and I certainly am not one to argue with Cody. But with that disclaimer, I'll venture that I always thought the way to make the RL turn better would be one degree more dihedral each side, rather than a bigger rudder. If Jaro would make such a joiner (and after all, Kolb did it), you wouldn't have to hack anything up, and I'll bet it would transform the plane. Ah well, just a thought.
tonyestep is offline Find More Posts by tonyestep
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:29 PM
Joined Jul 2002
529 Posts
Do you mean a rudder like this. It has the chord extended with uni carbon plus trim tape. A bit flexy but works.
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:53 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jan 2006
269 Posts
Yes I was quite teary eyed when the counterbalanced Jaro espada RL rudder showed up. It took some time as he made the bigger stabs first, even though I had requested the rudder first (I moded mine 2 years ago with Airtronics gap seal.) I received the rudder, I was miffed..I thought he had miss shipped and had shipped a part of the long awaited ESPADITA!!!! Then I got what Jaro was doing......he decided as usual to do it right... and increase the RL to proper aspect ratio and volume at the same time!Amazing.

Let me digress; it didn't need a bigger rudder for all flight modes, but around the landing tape, there were times when you couldn't force it over..I fly the PERFECT and it has massive rudder authority, even when the model stops flying. So I used it as the benchmark. Now,the EspadaRL has more then enough landing authority. Cody flew his, and I got to push it around a bit.It is greatly improved. Now with the larger stabs and high aspect rudder, the model asthetically ties together right as well. It's a well done "mod"!

skip

p.s . anyone who mentioned counterbalanced rudders on AQUILAS has really dated themselves.....don't worry ...most won't know what the heck your talkin about..highly modified "kit" airplanes and all...
maxer is offline Find More Posts by maxer
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:09 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyestep
Well, whatever works, and I certainly am not one to argue with Cody. But with that disclaimer, I'll venture that I always thought the way to make the RL turn better would be one degree more dihedral each side, rather than a bigger rudder. If Jaro would make such a joiner (and after all, Kolb did it), you wouldn't have to hack anything up, and I'll bet it would transform the plane. Ah well, just a thought.
What Skip said the rudder was made to improve the landing aspect of the model, it just happened that it improved the turning performance as well.....

Little Cody
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxer
anyone who mentioned counterbalanced rudders on AQUILAS has really dated themselves.....don't worry ...most won't know what the heck your talkin about..highly modified "kit" airplanes and all...

Skip,
Sadly this says a bit about the hobby/sport. Not enough of those that participate today have a sense of history and how we got to the cool, high tech, molded toys we fly today. They believe this is how its always been. No concept of a 4 channel, non-mixing radio, much less super-het or reeds. I can't say they're better off for having started flying later.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but that retro design element just cried out for something to be said

JT
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:23 AM
Questio scientia
Texas
Joined Apr 2003
216 Posts
Cody,

You mentioned about a mod thread..........I think it would be helpful. That way some of us won't end up butchering the RL.

Equest
equest is offline Find More Posts by equest
Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:54 AM
Toulouse , France
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Hello

A french pilot had already realised that mod : http://www.f3bfrance.com/doc/modificationespada.pdf

It seems to be really better....
Laurent
Laurent31 is offline Find More Posts by Laurent31
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:44 AM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
Modern trend: "Big tails are back in business."
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen