Old Feb 28, 2008, 02:25 AM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Discussion
Micro SSX Bipeplane BUILD

Hey everyone.

I ordered my Micro SSX Biplane from James about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it is nearly finished. I just am waiting for James to take a look at the motor and esc because I believe the motor way bad. but either way, I am already in love with this plane just sitting on my work desk.

Buying the kit: I searched long and hard online to find another kit to build, I recently built the Greatplanes Fundango and I was not overly pleased with the kit or the outcome of the plane. I have found a new love for electric and wanted something that I could just take down to the school here and fly around. I found the Micro SSX slow stick and thought it was pretty neat, so I headed to the Millennium RC website and that is where I first say the Micro SSX bipe and I told myself I had to have it.

I spoke with James on the phone as well as several messages through RC groups and he was awesome to work with and I will be doing business with him again thats for sure.

The kit:

When the box arrived I was surprised at the size, it was tiny. I opened it and found this:

The start of the build:

The build started out well and was quick. so quick that I forgot to take pictures of most of my progress, but this will give you an idea of how it went.

I have some more pictures of the build I just need to get them uploaded. I will update this thread shortly.

Come back and look for the finished product in a few days
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:38 AM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Just thought I would update this again. Told ya I had more pics for ya

Here are some more build pictures

Notice the 45degree angle in the rudder and elevator, the alirons are also like this.

This is the technique that I used. I took a sanding block and placed the edge on a sheet of 1/4inch balsa. than used another sheet of balsa to raise the item I was sanding so it didn't move down and give me an untrue 45 degree angle

and some pictures of the SSX bipe covered and almost complete

Well that it for now! I will update as soon as I get my motor and ecs.
Old Mar 03, 2008, 09:12 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Wow!

Awesome build thread! You have talent!
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2008, 10:08 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Here is a little video of the motor spinning.. nothing special just show everything works. I hope to get a test flight in within a few weeks. Weather is a little unpredictable right now...

Old Mar 15, 2008, 07:47 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Just wanted to update again on the thread. here is some placement of electronics.

Old Jul 14, 2008, 01:44 AM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Well, I maiden this bird this evening, and I have to say.... Where is the power!!!!! I had a heck of a time getting her off the ground. from watching other SSX videos, I expected it to just jump off the ground with a good steady climb rate. My setup is the setup package offered to me at the time of purchase.

I am by no means disappointed with the airplane, just think I needed some more get up and go. I let off the throttle just a little bit and she wanted to drop out of the sky. Here is a "SHORT maiden flight video". The first try failed, as my expectation of climb was off, second flight was success full, but was lacking a massive amount of power. maybe upgrade to a bigger motor for next flights?

Micro SSX Bi-plane (0 min 35 sec)
Old Jul 14, 2008, 07:31 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettOZ84
Well, I maiden this bird this evening, and I have to say.... Where is the power!!!!! I had a heck of a time getting her off the ground. from watching other SSX videos, I expected it to just jump off the ground with a good steady climb rate. My setup is the setup package offered to me at the time of purchase.

I am by no means disappointed with the airplane, just think I needed some more get up and go. I let off the throttle just a little bit and she wanted to drop out of the sky. Here is a "SHORT maiden flight video". The first try failed, as my expectation of climb was off, second flight was success full, but was lacking a massive amount of power. maybe upgrade to a bigger motor for next flights?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_EhMF4FbB8
What power package are you using?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:58 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
DN Power 450 15C with Castle 9 ESC, 1806N 19g Brushless
Motor-KV:2100, 2 - 7x3.5 props. So maybe I need to switch to the Hacker style motor for better performance.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 07:17 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
DN Power 450 15C with Castle 9 ESC, 1806N 19g Brushless
Motor-KV:2100, 2 - 7x3.5 props. So maybe I need to switch to the Hacker style motor for better performance.
I did some testing today and collected some data.

Plane: Micro SSX Biplane (5 ĺ oz with no battery)
CG: Center upper and lower spar
ESC: Castle 9
Motor: 1806N 19g Brushless 2100 KV
Prop - 7x3.5 GWS Direct Drive

Battery:
730 2S or 480 2S (Equivalent to DN 450)
Watts: 33
Amps: 5.3
Flight characteristics: Good vertical power, good airspeed, overall good performance

DN 450 3S
Watts: 84
Amps: 9.5
Flight characteristics: unlimited vertical power, incredible airspeed, overall very good performance

All measurements are static
I am not sure what is happening with your setup. I would take some readings and post your results. I am sure we can salve the problem.

Check the motor, make sure it is turning freely, and check the nut that holds the bell on. Make sure it is tight. If it is loose add some locktite before you tighten it. Check your CG the plane looked tail heavy. A hacker motor will not make a difference.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:52 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
I am not sure how to go about finding data for my setup!

I can tell you that my plane is 6.2 oz though, with out a battery. I used regular monokote when I covered it, I am guess the extra weight is making a big difference.

I don't have any tools other than a Multi meter to test things, is there a way to get info using it?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:54 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
I am not sure how to go about finding data for my setup!

I can tell you that my plane is 6.2 oz though, with out a battery. I used regular monokote when I covered it, I am guess the extra weight is making a big difference.

I don't have any tools other than a Multi meter to test things, is there a way to get info using it?
If you used Monokote, you should check your wings for warpage also.

If your meter is capable of reading amps, and it is rated for 10 amps, you can use it to measure Amps. That will give us a good idea of what is happening.

Where is the CG?

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:05 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
My multimeter does read amps and has a selection for 10A. Now where do I place my leads of the meter to get a correct reading?

My Wings are perfectly straight, no warping at all.

My CG is at 1.1" back from the top wing spar
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:59 AM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
stupid question... is your prop on the right way?
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:41 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
My multimeter does read amps and has a selection for 10A. Now where do I place my leads of the meter to get a correct reading?

My Wings are perfectly straight, no warping at all.

My CG is at 1.1" back from the top wing spar
I watched the video again. It looks like you have plenty of air speed. I would set the control throws to a less sensitive setting. In addition, move the incidence up so the lower wing is at zero; looks like it is slightly positive.

Plug the meter leads into the amp ports on the meter and hook the meter in series with your battery and ESC. Post a picture of your meter and I will give you more details. You may need to get a hold of some extra male and female JST connectors so you can rig a test harness. You will also need some banana jacks and some 18-gage wire.

The prop you show in the pictures is a 6-5 prop. Are you sure that you are using the 7-3.5?

Your CG should be good.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:26 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
James,

I was almost positive that I was running a 7x3.5 prop, but I just looked and its a 6-5.

I guess I assumed they were the 7x3.5 because when I checked your website thats what it said came with the package that I ordered, but when I ordered the bipe it was still pretty new to you guys and I am sure things have changed alittle bit with some more time in the air and testings.

Furthermore, I checked the incidence and its set at Zero.

Here is a pic of my volt meter.

NEW NON BLURRY PIC!
Last edited by BennettOZ84; Jul 18, 2008 at 09:02 PM.