HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:09 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
167 Posts
Build Log
Sterling "Classic Dual Cockpit Mahogany Runabout" - First Time Build

Hi Guys,

I found a Sterling "Classic Dual-Cockpit Mahogany Runabout" on eBay. I went ahead and got it because it seems much easier than the Dumas models because of its one-piece deck and mahogany side and bottom skins. So far the build has gone great, and I purchased the package from M.A.C.K. designed for the model. Luckily they still had one. It would be great to hear your feedback and suggestions, and I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has built this model before or has pictures of their completed model. Just keep in mind that I'm 18 and its my first build .

-Kyle
kylewp is offline Find More Posts by kylewp
Last edited by kylewp; Feb 27, 2008 at 04:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:20 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,127 Posts
Hi Kyle,

Wow, I would say you are doing a great job so far! I know a lot of old geezers on here are getting all sentimental right now that an 18 year old is actually building a model instead of buying an RTR!!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:26 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
167 Posts
How 'bout this for some extra power?

(just kidding )
Last edited by kylewp; Mar 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:46 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,566 Posts
Sorry but a Cox .049 just ain't gonna be big enough.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:15 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
Sorry but a Cox .049 just ain't gonna be big enough.
Mostly because it does'nt run very well under water!!
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:22 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,063 Posts
Seriously Kyle, The side and bottom die-cut mahogany tends to warp in the box over a period of time. If yours are flat ok,if not, dampen them. Put them on a flat surface,cover with paper towels and a flat plank,add weight and let dry for several days. This will cure the warpage. If you use a cloth towel the dye in the wood will stain it. Welcome to the wounderfull world of scale boats!!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 03:09 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
167 Posts
Thanks Charlie
Old Feb 28, 2008, 03:21 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
167 Posts
What should I do to these fittings? I'm pretty sure I can grind/file all the flash off but what can I do to paint/polish them? I'm not sure what they're made of, but the pieces are really bendable, kind of like pewter.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 04:48 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,685 Posts
They probably are pewter and have lead in them. You can shine them up but they just get all tarnished as time goes on. I usually clean them up good removing all the flash and form marks and paint then silver or any appropriate color. You can chrome plate them if you want to. There are several kits out now that you can buy and do the chroming yourself. That looks the best if you want to spend the money. (Less than $100 )
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:24 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,063 Posts
Another way is to clean them up and use Alclad paint on them. You have to use a black paint base coat then the Alclad. Alclad is high priced but does a good job.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:29 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
167 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll post some more pictures when I make some more progress. Hopefully you'll see some mahogany!

-Kyle
Old Mar 07, 2008, 02:02 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
My partly built kit, an eBay purchase, arrived today. It's completed to about the extent that yours is, Kyle. The former builder got to the step where he attempted to glue the port side mahogany hull skin to the frames. Unfortunately, the thin mahogany strip partially split where it should attach to the frames toward the bow. Fortunately, I have several 4' long strips of mahogany that are plenty wide to replace that damaged strip. Wouldn't you know that that strip appears to be well glued back toward the stern. Perhaps the strip can be salvaged, and the split somewhat glued back so that it's not obvious.
The fittings set appears to be complete, as is the rest of the kit. However, the kit will have to get in line - a rather long line, I'm afraid.
Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Last edited by jeepers1940; Mar 07, 2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2008, 03:51 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
167 Posts
Bill,

I saw that kit on for sale on eBay. It looked like whoever started it did a pretty nice job. You already have one mahogany skin on, if I remember correctly. That means all of the sanding is done! That's what I'm working on right now. By the way, if you contact M.A.C.K. products by phone, they can put a nice package together for you that is specifically designed for the Sterling Runabout. The package comes out to just under $200 and has really high quality parts. It replaces some of the cheap stuff that comes with the model. See my picture to see everything that's included in the package. DONT KEEP BUILDING if you want to use this package. It will come with an instruction sheet that makes several modifications to the assembly process. I don't think your kit is built too far though.

I think this is a great kit because you can still build a great looking mahogany Chris Craft with no planking.

-Kyle
Old Mar 07, 2008, 05:35 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylewp

I think this is a great kit because you can still build a great looking mahogany Chris Craft with no planking.

-Kyle
No planking... but, but, but, that's the fun part.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Mar 07, 2008, 08:46 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob
No planking... but, but, but, that's the fun part.
Hahahaha Not so much for people just starting out. I'm sure I'll get around to a planked hull someday but for now, the mahogany skins look challenging enough!