SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2003, 12:22 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,188 Posts
Mustek GSmart Mini3 Camera: $89 Online source

The USA Mustek Web site is selling the GSmart Mini3 (3.1 megapixel) camera system for only $89.99 USD. UPS surface shipping is under $10. USA sales only.

Details: Click Me.

I have no idea on how well Mustek's online store performs. However, it might be a better source than the Souther Calif supplier that has been discussed on eZone.

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2003, 05:18 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,188 Posts
I just thought I would say that ordering the camera from Mustek was painless. Mid-January I ordered mine via the web and it arrived in a few days.

After I received the Mini-3 I called to see how much extra USB cables would cost. They were helpful and friendly. However, the numbers to them are not toll free (would have been a nice touch).

The camera shipped from Southern California. Total to my door, with tax and shipping, was $105.23 USD. Not a bad deal for a true 2.1 megapixel camera that weighs almost nothing.

By the way, unlike the Aiptek PenCam software, the Mustek application is fully compatible with the early versions of Win98 (gold). Aiptek works best on Win98SE.

The Mini-3 software is also Twain compliant, so Twain enabled apps (like Photoshop) can extract images directly from the camera. Very convenient for lazy azz folks like me.

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM
Old Jan 22, 2003, 05:48 PM
Birmingham, AL
Joined Aug 2002
276 Posts
Same here. smooth transaction.
Richard
Richard Ingram is offline Find More Posts by Richard Ingram
Old Jan 25, 2003, 07:23 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
The link above says that the camera weighs only 1.5 oz (.09 lbs), is that correct. Is there a removable memory (SD, etc) ability with this camera? If I wanted only simple movie clip ability from a GWS BEaver, would this or a Pencam be the best choice? Not interested in learning all that would be necessary to wire to my receiver or my curtek controler, unless there is an off the shelf product already available. Thanks for any info you can give.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Jan 25, 2003, 08:13 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,188 Posts
Quote:
The link above says that the camera weighs only 1.5 oz (.09 lbs), is that correct.
I just lent my camera to a friend to use, so I can't confirm the weight at the moment. However, 1.5 oz sounds about right. And that includes the internal battery!

Quote:
If I wanted only simple movie clip ability from a GWS BEaver, would this or a Pencam be the best choice?
The frame rate on the GSmart is about 50% faster. However, both will produce video that is a bit jerky if there is a lot of motion.

Quote:
Not interested in learning all that would be necessary to wire to my receiver or my curtek controller, unless there is an off the shelf product already available.
For videos, the PenCam and GSmart can be used as-is. Just press AVI record, then toss the model airplane in the air.

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM
Old Jan 25, 2003, 08:27 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Thanks for the help. As it looks like the GSmart may be a little lighter, I think I will go with that, unless someone here has feedback to indicate otherwise.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:54 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Nov 2001
131 Posts
G3 and Cam-Man?

Have you got your Mustek to work with the CamMan?
Is the Mustek lighter than the Pencam?
Can you add memory to the Mustek?

Sorry for all the questions but I will have my CamMan done soon and plan on buying a camera this weekend. If the Mustek is a better way to go then I will get it instead of the Aiptek
ebourlet is online now Find More Posts by ebourlet
Last edited by ebourlet; Jan 30, 2003 at 01:00 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 01:02 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Nov 2001
131 Posts
G3 and Cam-Man?

Have you got your Mustek to work with the CamMan?
Is the Mustek lighter than the Pencam?
Old Jan 30, 2003, 02:28 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,188 Posts
The current CamMan chip will work if you use the extra circuitry shown on Page 4 of the schematics. However, I have developed a new GSmart CamMan chip that reduces the component count to a PIC and a resistor, just like the Aiptek mod. I will post details in a few days.

Both cameras are great candidates for aerial photography. The GSmart Mini-3 has higher resolution but it is more expensive.

RC-CAM
Old Jan 30, 2003, 09:46 AM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,258 Posts
Mustek Not-So-Direct

Hi RC Cam-Man

What is your secret for contacting Mustek?? I tried to order a G3 with overnight shipping (they offer it) using my Visa card. Four days later and another missed weekend, still no camera and no phone call/e-mail from Mustek. The only number that I could find on their website was for technical assistance. I've called it several times and get a recorded message that the average wait is 20 minutes. I finally got an e-mail from them that said the bank would not confirm my shipping address Wha?? The card is a debit card that takes $$ directly out of my checking account. Anyway I e-mailed them 3 times explaining that my billing address and shipping address MUST be different. In the stix of New Mexico I don't get mail delivery at my house and UPS won't deliver to my PO Box Still no response to my e-mails and no debit to my checking account

Got any hot tips on getting these guys to sell me a camera?? I really want to try it.

Rich
rloose is offline Find More Posts by rloose
Last edited by rloose; Jan 30, 2003 at 09:52 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 11:41 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,188 Posts
Quote:
The only number that I could find on their website was for technical assistance.
The Mustek phone number is 949-790-3800. I did not have any trouble getting through. I do not recall if I had to wait for a live operator.

Quote:
I finally got an e-mail from them that said the bank would not confirm my shipping address Wha??
Sadly, with so much credit card fraud going on, some firms have tightened their credit card security. In cases where the billing and shipping addresses do not match, the bank will not protect the online merchant or mail order seller from fraud. If the retailer cannot verify the address, they may refuse the order too.

So, it is at the retailer's discretion. Where I work we get very nervous in these situations. But we eat the risk every time. Not all firms can afford (or are brazen enough) to do that.

Not that any of this info will help you, but it does offer a plausible explanation to your dilemma. Perhaps Mustek will allow you to mail in a postal money order? Otherwise, there is that other vendor mentioned elsewhere in this forum that sells the camera. Perhaps they will ignore the little details and ship you one.

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM
Old Jan 30, 2003, 01:30 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Nov 2001
131 Posts
Mustek

1.Is the Mustek lighter than the pen cam without batteries?
2. Can you run the Mustek on the receiver battery
3. Does the Mustek have an expansion slot for more memmory like the Pen Cam?
Old Jan 30, 2003, 01:43 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,188 Posts
Quote:
1.Is the Mustek lighter than the pen cam without batteries?
I'm not sure. I don't have an Aiptek to weigh.

Quote:
2. Can you run the Mustek on the receiver battery
No, it may damage the camera. The Mustek has its own LiPO cell that is buried inside (not end-user removable) and is charged by connecting the camera to your PC.

Quote:
3. Does the Mustek have an expansion slot for more memory like the PenCam?
The Mini-3 does not. If you need this feature then their more expensive LCD models might work out. For example: MDC3500 (3.1 megapixel)

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM
Old Jan 30, 2003, 02:53 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Nov 2001
131 Posts
Do you have the problem with the camera timing out when it is used with it's internal battery? If so have you got the CamMan hookup worked out to work around this yet?
Old Jan 30, 2003, 03:28 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,188 Posts
Quote:
If so have you got the CamMan hookup worked out to work around this yet?
The Mustek timeout is fully managed by the CamMan PIC chip.

I will share the details as soon as I can. My Mini-3 is still being borrowed, so there is not much I can do until it comes back.

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM