HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2003, 07:53 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,766 Posts
Discussion
Any interest out there....

After drawing up plans for an 80" B-29 (see "B-29 plans" thread), I got some interest from fellow E-zoners about similar planes.

Currently I'm drawing a set of plans for a DC-4 that's about the same size. It will be a little more involved than the B-29 in that the nose and tail will need to be carved and shaped from foam rather than just having a straight cuts. I have also drawn formers and a building crutch for it so you could build up the fuselage with formers and plank it. Other than that, it will have the same 4xSP400 on 8 cells power system. The DC-4 is on 3 sheets and is basicaly done. About a weeks more work and they should be ready to ship.

The next drawing project was inspired by the last page of MAN this month: a Tu-95 Bear. This one should be more similar to the B-29 in that the fuse will consist of a main tube and a tail cone. The nose will require some carving, but the engine nacells are basically tubes. I'm just starting these drawings, and was wondering if there is any interest out there in these plans?

Disclaimer: Right now I have more time to draw than the build. I will make these plans available with the understanding that they have not been built and flown. Since both designs are based on a proven design, it's more question of how well rather than if.

-Jim
Jim Young is online now Find More Posts by Jim Young
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2003, 09:06 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,322 Posts
Hi Jim

I have a Bear partially drawn too.... for speed 400's. Have not worked on it for a couple of years now. Bought a plastic model for some shapes other than the round parts you mentioned.

I hate all those versions with the large "chins".

some day I'll get back to it.

Tom
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Jan 06, 2003, 09:56 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,766 Posts
Tu-95 Bear Plans

Here are the "Bear" plans so far. Sorry about the resolution, but they should be good enough to get an idea.
Old Jan 06, 2003, 10:01 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,766 Posts
Bear Plans

The Bear right now has an 80" wing span, 74" length and about 760 squares. The B-29 only has 560 squares, so it may make sense to reduce the size a little. However, if I do that the wing tips get kind of small. Any thoughts out there?

Any one interested in being a beta builder?

-Jim
Old Jan 06, 2003, 10:06 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,766 Posts
DC-4 Plans

Here are plans for the DC-4....

Again, the wing span is 80" and it has 750 squares. The fuse can be built as a foam core sheeted with balsa or built up with formers and sheeted with balsa. There are two more plan sheets for the wings and the fuse sections/formers. I did these plans at the request of a guy from Ohio.
Old Jan 06, 2003, 01:48 PM
Brookville, Ohio
Joined May 2000
317 Posts
Jim,
I would be very interested in plans for the Tu-95, esp. after following the thread on your B-29. Paul
marshall is offline Find More Posts by marshall
Old Jan 06, 2003, 03:51 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Lookin good Jim!
Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98