HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:48 AM
micro scale builder
United States, DC, Washington
Joined May 2008
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjalil21 View Post
I am in the Kendall/Dadeland area. I just recently purchased two 1400mm warbirds and I was curious where people fly planes that size in my area....I was also considering Miami Dade College Kendall campus on a Sunday. The fields in the back (North side) of the campus seem more than adequate and they also have a freshly paved parking lot that can serve as a nice runway. I would imagine that the school would be completely empty on a Sunday morning. If anyone has any ideas or experience flying in the Kendall area, I would appreciate your input.
I cruised by the MDC fields this morning (Sunday) at about 11am, they are indeed very nice. The track & field complex or the soccer fields next to it would be more than adequate. There were a few people jogging, etc. I'm not as excited about the question of legality..some people might not be thrilled with 1400mm (~50 inch) wingspan aircraft zipping around I only have experience flying my micros in parks, and even when I do that I make sure I'm alone to avoid any questions of safety... Do you own anything smaller? Maybe we could test the waters by flying some smaller aircraft first.
tmtbiker is offline Find More Posts by tmtbiker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,692 Posts
If you just drive east there is nothing there? I looked on google maps and it looks like there are so many open fields (about 20, 25 mins away). I even found this place called "Lindberg's landing strip" which I don't know anything about yet (but can assume what it is from the name... ).
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Feb 2012
18 Posts
Thanks for the feedback...I tend to agree that MDC Kendall campus might get crowded or be too small...however, I was planning on getting there around 7:00 - 8:00 am.

I don't mind going to Tamiami (FIU) Park; I just want to make sure I have pavement to take-off/land. I don't trust my warbird's gear on grass or gravel. Does anyone know where exactly within Tamiami Park do people fly their birds?

I finished assembling both an A-1 skyraider (63") and a p-51 (57") mustang this week and I am eager to get them up in the air this Sunday.
gjalil21 is offline Find More Posts by gjalil21
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:47 AM
Say watt?!
United States, FL, Miami Lakes
Joined May 2009
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjalil21 View Post
I don't mind going to Tamiami (FIU) Park; I just want to make sure I have pavement to take-off/land. I don't trust my warbird's gear on grass or gravel. Does anyone know where exactly within Tamiami Park do people fly their birds?
they use the fairgrounds parking lot. The one where you park on when The Fair is going on; which will be very soon so take advantage before you can't fly there til April.

It's gravel and low grass but I think you'll be okay. As long as you cave 2.5 or 3 inch wheels, they'll roll just fine on grass and even better on gravel.
killerwin is offline Find More Posts by killerwin
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2011
119 Posts
Does anybody still Go to Ives estates park? I have been there a lot lately and haven't seen anybody...
mat3415 is offline Find More Posts by mat3415
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:21 PM
micro scale builder
Joined May 2008
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat3415 View Post
Does anybody still Go to Ives estates park? I have been there a lot lately and haven't seen anybody...
no, for me that's 35 miles, 45 minutes with no trafffic
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:05 PM
Say watt?!
Joined May 2009
278 Posts
Quote:
I go there every other week. PM me if you want to meet up there.

There are always guys there on weekend mornings from about 8 to 12 noon.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:07 PM
Say watt?!
Joined May 2009
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtbiker View Post
no, for me that's 35 miles, 45 minutes with no trafffic
Really? Where are you; I know a kid from Kendall (bloodynightmare) that used to go to Ives and he said it took him 20 minutes; granted, he did say he drove like a maniac to make it there that quickly. lol
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:59 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2011
119 Posts
do u fly by the gate to turn into the park or on top of the "hill"? Has anyone flown a fuel plane there?
mat3415 is offline Find More Posts by mat3415
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:33 AM
Say watt?!
Joined May 2009
278 Posts
Quote:
do u fly by the gate to turn into the park or on top of the "hill"? Has anyone flown a fuel plane there?
I fly by the entrance. A lot of fuel planes there on the weekends.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Quote:
I cruised by the MDC fields this morning (Sunday) at about 11am, they are indeed very nice. The track & field complex or the soccer fields next to it would be more than adequate. There were a few people jogging, etc. I'm not as excited about the question of legality..some people might not be thrilled with 1400mm (~50 inch) wingspan aircraft zipping around I only have experience flying my micros in parks, and even when I do that I make sure I'm alone to avoid any questions of safety... Do you own anything smaller? Maybe we could test the waters by flying some smaller aircraft first.
I fly at MDC occasionally and once I got kicked out by security when I flew my Radian about a year ago. He came up to me and told me I couldn't fly there. Someone had called him out to get me to stop flying he said. Then as I landed, he was amazed by the plane and the whole electric RC and glider thing and started asking a bunch of questions. LOL. Nice guy.

After that, I never fly anything motorized there and have never again been bothered. (I regularly fly My Alula EVO and/or My Taboo DLG).

Here's a couple of vids of me flying the Alula EVO there:

Dream-flight Alula Evo hand launched glider in zero wind (1 min 42 sec)

Alula EVO Toss & Catch (3 min 25 sec)

I've also flown a couple of power kites there with no problem.

eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Last edited by eosglider; Feb 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:05 PM
micro scale builder
Joined May 2008
322 Posts
eosglider, thanks for the info. I have a SuperTalon in the box, and it is next to be built. It would still need ~30s of power to get it to altitude though. I've also preordered the UMX ASK-21, which could be perfect since it comes with its own mini hi-start. The only problem is it won't be here until mid-may, so we might as well just say June 1st....

it's been about 2 years since I've flown with anybody else, and I miss it!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:58 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
512 Posts
Quote:
eosglider, thanks for the info. I have a SuperTalon in the box, and it is next to be built. It would still need ~30s of power to get it to altitude though. I've also preordered the UMX ASK-21, which could be perfect since it comes with its own mini hi-start. The only problem is it won't be here until mid-may, so we might as well just say June 1st....

it's been about 2 years since I've flown with anybody else, and I miss it!
Wow, that ASK-21 is tiny!

For now get that Super Talon built and come out to Tamiami Park. Or just come and chat it up. Lots of fun even without a plane of your own.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Flying buddy

Just got in to helis. I have a 4 ch nine eagels bravo sx. I fly next to tamiami airport in a open field. Camp matacumbe entrance. Laterz kenny Happy 420
MiamiHeli is offline Find More Posts by MiamiHeli
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:59 PM
micro scale builder
Joined May 2008
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiHeli View Post
Just got in to helis. I have a 4 ch nine eagels bravo sx. I fly next to tamiami airport in a open field. Camp matacumbe entrance. Laterz kenny Happy 420
I live just around the corner in the hammocks, i've got a few micros including the mSR heli if you ever want to fly.