HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:09 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,677 Posts
Discussion
Is there a cheap way to charge a 4S A123?

I'm thinking about building a plane to use an A123 pack. Because it's A123, I think I'll need the extra volts that 4S provides. I was reading about the $10 3S charger, but is there a way to cheaply charge 4S? Thanks for the help.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:14 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
FMA Cell Pro 4 if you are not in a hurry.,max. of 3A charge rate on 4S.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:00 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
Sorry guys, here I go again, drinkin' and thinkin' ......
Why can we not use ANY funky charger (with a balancer hooked up to each cell)and the a123lipodaptthingy???????
Now we are talking 25 bucks for the a123 balancer and an a123 cut off thingamajigggymodizzlsizzle
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:01 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
....mosizzle.dizzle.com?
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:14 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
But as the OP did not list what chager(s) he has or even if he is planing on using 2300 or 1100 mAh cells there is a lot of fill in the blanks here.

Yes a Lipodapter will work if he has a 4S Li charger or a Ni charger capable of charging 12 cells or more and if it has high enough amps. output or he is patient.

I use a very old AF 112PK Ni charger a Lipdapter to charge B&D VPX 1100 mAh 4S packs at 5amps.

The 12volt Pb setting on a Triton will also work but will not give a 100 % charge but then neither will the Daptors.

Charles
Old Feb 26, 2008, 03:29 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
The other option is a generic laptop powersupply from eBay switched to 14.4V. You can find them up to about 120W. Some folks use these with a fan added and some current limiting (a la zip line). You can get them either with AC input for use at home or 12V input to run off your car battery (or deep cycle). Given how cheap 200+W/10A chargers have become I would suggest they are a better, more flexible, no fuss solution.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Feb 26, 2008, 05:53 AM
marshall , va
Joined Jul 2003
784 Posts
this wont charge 4s a123 real fast but it will charge
$47
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1872
kmp647 is offline Find More Posts by kmp647
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:44 AM
Bartlett, IL
Joined Jun 2002
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
But as the OP did not list what chager(s) he has or even if he is planing on using 2300 or 1100 mAh cells there is a lot of fill in the blanks here.

Yes a Lipodapter will work if he has a 4S Li charger or a Ni charger capable of charging 12 cells or more and if it has high enough amps. output or he is patient.

I use a very old AF 112PK Ni charger a Lipdapter to charge B&D VPX 1100 mAh 4S packs at 5amps.

The 12volt Pb setting on a Triton will also work but will not give a 100 % charge but then neither will the Daptors.

Charles
I use a Triton with a Daptor. I charge at 3-5 amps and when the Daptor cuts off I re-start the charge at .2 amps until it goes off again a few minutes later. Wouldn't charging at .2 amps give close to a full charge?
stamper is offline Find More Posts by stamper
Old Feb 26, 2008, 01:42 PM
Sweden (Åkersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
The other option is a generic laptop powersupply from eBay switched to 14.4V. You can find them up to about 120W. Some folks use these with a fan added and some current limiting (a la zip line). You can get them either with AC input for use at home or 12V input to run off your car battery (or deep cycle). Given how cheap 200+W/10A chargers have become I would suggest they are a better, more flexible, no fuss solution.
Sorry but was is a "zip line" ? Any link?

Tanks in advance,

/Håkan
hakank is online now Find More Posts by hakank
Old Feb 26, 2008, 01:50 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer

Charles
The Goose on a Dapter will - I asked the designer and he also felt this was acceptable procedure
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:18 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
well I have used Sid's LiPo dapters many times and IMO even with double goose IMO it does not provide a full charge on A123 cells. Others may very well disagree. I have several Dapter assisted charges in my A123 charing thread .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603368

As someone else posted if you reduce the charge rate near the end or if you reduce it and restart to get a kinda false CV stage you can come close.

This is the very reason my Dan Baldwin designed charge terminators aka
DB Terminators which I use with my Zip chargers are set to stop the charge a 3S to 11.55 V (3.85 per cell). These charges terminate at approx. 7 amps. charge rate which happens to be very close to the 8A max. recomended for the Dapters. I have found that if stoped at a lower voltage the cells are not full enough to prevent rather rapid voltage decay.

My calibration tool was my TP1010C. If the 1010 could add 20 or more mAh capacity right after a Dapter, modified AF109 or Zip / DBT charge then the cells were not reaching full charge.

Of anyone is interested there is a charge graph here showing an official A123 racing charger in operation.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=26

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 26, 2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 03:41 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakank
Sorry but was is a "zip line" ? Any link?

Tanks in advance,

/Håkan

Zip cord is a term sometimes used to describe common lamp cord (electrical line). Since any wire has resistence it can be used in place of a power resistor to limit the flow of current.

My $10 3S A123 pack charger Thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747911

Charles
Old Feb 26, 2008, 04:56 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp647
this wont charge 4s a123 real fast but it will charge
$47
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1872
Not worth it IMO as you still need an external balancer (if you want to balance your LiPos or A123s) so it ends up costing the same as or more than an integrated balance charger anyway and I prefer integrated balance chargers myself. Different strokes...
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Last edited by kgfly; Feb 26, 2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:17 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,677 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've got a regular Cell-pro 4S, and a Parkzone NiMH charger, but I think the charge rate would be to low. Even my power supply is only rated for 3 amps(and only 13.8V). Part of the allure of the A123 is their ability to be charged fast. If I do it, I'll use the 2300 size cells.

Is there a way I could use something like Everydayflyer's Zip charger to charge 2 2S packs(which would then be run in series)?
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:04 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Quote:
Is there a way I could use something like Everydayflyer's Zip charger to charge 2 2S packs(which would then be run in series)?
Short answer , if you have to ask then no!!!!!

Have you read the first post in that thread?

Do you understand Ohm's law?

If you have a voltage source which is greater than the battery and it is capable of delivering enough current and you have a means to limit the max. delivered current to a level which is safe for the battery and if you have a means to limit the max. voltage to a safe level then yes.

Charles