HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2008, 03:05 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
Discussion
What is the best radio for FPV?

Currently I have DX7, but it looks like it not the ideal radio for FPV since it is not compatible with head tracker, has a range of 1-2 miles and receiver (AR7000) has fail safe only for throttle (to engage the autopilot you have to put it on this channel, ESC on another, use mixing and it is still not the perfect solution). I have a choice to upgrade it to AR9000 or buy Futaba 9CAP.
My question is if somebody turns on transmitter on the same channel and his signal is comparable to or stronger than mine does it mean that he will "control" my plane or receiver will go to fail safe mode (for PPM or PCM)?
I have listen somewhere that synthesized radio does have so "clear" signal(and probably has shorter range) compare to radio with crystals. Is it true?
sokiii is offline Find More Posts by sokiii
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2008, 03:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Derby
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
futaba ff9? can be either with crystals, or synthesised. both PPM & PCM... upgrade path to 2.4ghz I believe.
a lot of the head tracker require the futaba connector
jbourdon is offline Find More Posts by jbourdon
Old Feb 25, 2008, 03:31 PM
Un-Registered User
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2007
46 Posts
I went with the Futaba 7channel Fasst. I think the only drawback with that compared to the 9CAP is the lack of ability to assign a different failsafe. I could be wrong with that but I don't know. I have yet to get a head tracker but from all my reading the 7channel 2.4Ghz one will work just fine with any one out there and you wouldn't have to worry about someone else on the same feq.
ryscar is offline Find More Posts by ryscar
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:22 PM
Free Flying
Joined Nov 2006
525 Posts
If you're using 2.4 GHz for RC control, you're not going to be able to use that band for video. Well, you could try, but many have (including myself) and found there to be issues. You'll be limited to 900 MHz video gear.

The other 'normal' lower frequencies would be preferable for FPV RC control.

On a completely side note, I just had a test this weekend using a 1 W 900 MHz modem from Max Stream. Even with the transmit power dropped to 100 mW I had some servo chatter.
anci3nt is offline Find More Posts by anci3nt
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:27 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,144 Posts
Interesting is that 900mhz with 2.4ghz?
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:56 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
I am using 900MHz 500mW video gear.
I am just curious what 72MHz receiver will do if there are two signals on the same channel. Would be nice if it goes to fail safe mode. Since I am living in dense populated area and flying far away there is always a chance that somebody somewhere suddenly turn on transmitter on the same frequency. My biggest fear is to lose control and then lose a plane with pretty expensive gear because of stupid interference.
sokiii is offline Find More Posts by sokiii
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:06 PM
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Ballerup
Joined May 2007
3,198 Posts
I had to construct my own RC system to get the range I need for FPV,
no systems commercial avaiable can give us the range we need.
but now I can simply get ANY range I can dream of, simply turn up the power and add a larger antenna, I can in thery get 100km range, that might not be legal so I can newer prove it, well I have also not soo large batteries either.
only legal for radio amateurs and such, see my webpage for details :-)
it is all there, the new UHF system with 40W booster is the place to look.
thomasscherrer is online now Find More Posts by thomasscherrer
Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:39 PM
Free Flying
Joined Nov 2006
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Interesting is that 900mhz with 2.4ghz?
72 MHz RC, 2.4 GHz video, 900 MHz Max Stream modem. The modem had a GPS attached and was transmitting the position at 100 mW. The board was an electronics test for another project. I say was because this is what happened Saturday:

Boom (0 min 3 sec)

EZ totaled, broke Max Stream modem along with other stuff. Video Tx, Dragon, GPS, RC Rx, one servo, and my A123 pack survived though! Attached is what the other lipo looked like (no fireworks).
anci3nt is offline Find More Posts by anci3nt
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:32 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Ouch. Throw that lipo in the battery bunker!!
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:31 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anci3nt
72 MHz RC, 2.4 GHz video, 900 MHz Max Stream modem. The modem had a GPS attached and was transmitting the position at 100 mW. The board was an electronics test for another project. I say was because this is what happened Saturday:

http://www.vimeo.com/727984

EZ totaled, broke Max Stream modem along with other stuff. Video Tx, Dragon, GPS, RC Rx, one servo, and my A123 pack survived though! Attached is what the other lipo looked like (no fireworks).
Hey that battery looks like mine!!! Good to know all your main gear survived! So were you trying to test how tough Dragon was to total impact? Just joking and trying to make you laugh a little BTW... nice impact vid
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Feb 26, 2008, 01:04 AM
Heli addict
Joined Feb 2007
640 Posts
anci3nt,

Did you do it on purpose ? Cause EZ won't keep dive vertical on its own... unless if it's very nose heavy...
vladz is offline Find More Posts by vladz
Last edited by vladz; Feb 26, 2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:37 AM
Ridgeway, Co.
Joined Dec 2007
132 Posts
Mr. Pibb mention using a Patch antenna on a DX7 for longer range, that would be nice if it works. If you have the $ you could also do what Crash9 does and use a Futaba 9C with Spektrum module (comes w/AR9000) so you don't have to buy all new RXs.
FPVpilot is offline Find More Posts by FPVpilot
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:38 AM
Ridgeway, Co.
Joined Dec 2007
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasscherrer
I had to construct my own RC system to get the range I need for FPV,
no systems commercial avaiable can give us the range we need.
but now I can simply get ANY range I can dream of, simply turn up the power and add a larger antenna, I can in thery get 100km range, that might not be legal so I can newer prove it, well I have also not soo large batteries either.
only legal for radio amateurs and such, see my webpage for details :-)
it is all there, the new UHF system with 40W booster is the place to look.
You are alway's up to something cool
FPVpilot is offline Find More Posts by FPVpilot
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:46 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,144 Posts
Hmm did you find a reason for crash? I've ran 72/900/2.4 before without a problem. I did a test up to 1000 AGL. I could have went higher, but the airport was right next door to that flying field. I didn't want to press my luck. This was using a 900mhz Maxstream. However it was about 12" away from my 72mhz RX.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...73380283&hl=en
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by typicalaimster; Feb 26, 2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:20 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
I did a test up to 1000 AGL. I could have went higher, but the airport was right next door to that flying field.
Wow. I think you DID press your luck! lol

"This is Dulles approach. We've got traffic in the pattern. Please go around". lol
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang