HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2008, 02:51 PM
Crash test dummy
Alabama
Joined Dec 2005
265 Posts
Yippee!
Let's see your workshop!

Hi, Let's have a thread where everyone can post photos of your workshops. I have a new house with an attic room about 16'x26' that I will be turning into my workshop. My workshop that I built with the house got turned into a bedroom for my oldest son, so it's time to start over. I'm looking for some good ideas of how to set it up and what to put in it. Any photos or ideas will be appreciated.
dhelms9138 is offline Find More Posts by dhelms9138
Last edited by dhelms9138; Mar 06, 2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Add photo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2008, 06:36 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelms9138
Hi, Let's have a thread where everyone can post photos of your workshops. I have a new house with an attic room about 16'x26' that I will be turning into my workshop. My workshop that I built with the house got turned into a bedroom for my oldest son, so it's time to start over. I'm looking for some good ideas of how to set it up and what to put in it. Any photos or ideas will be appreciated.
Hello,

If you browse around in the forum and/or make a search, there is a thread showing dozens of pictures of workshops.

There is also threads listing what typically are usefull tools.

Sorry I cannot take the time right now to search for you and point out the URLs.

I wish I had a workshop. I work from my dining table.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:46 PM
Dallas, Texas area
Joined Sep 2003
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelms9138
So you like to use foam huh ??

My work shop is a disaster right now, maybe I will snap a few pics and post them when I get home.
chashint is offline Find More Posts by chashint
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:39 PM
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Feb 2006
857 Posts
Mine's a mess. No photos please!

Here's a link to some workshop pics on HeliFreak.com Some are very nice!

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....light=workshop
glucoseboy is offline Find More Posts by glucoseboy
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:32 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
I'll Play :)

Hi folks,

I suppose that I have a slight advantage to the average hobbyist because I've been designing and building furniture (in addition to my RC addiction) professionally for about eight years now, thus I've accumulated some machines.

Here's my present 1200^foot shop from a few angles. Note that this is just before I moved in more crap including a cadre of large scale aircraft that my grandfather had built before his death, as well as some of my father's scale aircraft.

It's a fun space to build in and having full scale machinery comes in very handy when building model aircraft. Examples that I couldn't live without are the large band saw and my two table saws. I also use my edge-sanding machine more than any other tool in the shop (besides the benches or perhaps the miter saw).

Hope that this is inspiring and note that anyone can start piecing together a real wood shop for relatively little expense. I'd recommend starting with a small table saw, then band saw, a drillpress is VERY handy, sanding equipment as already noted, and so on.

By the way, you can never have too many tools or shop space
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:27 PM
Crash test dummy
Alabama
Joined Dec 2005
265 Posts
Excellent workshop Haole. Those photos give me a lot of good ideas. I especially like the tables with the storage underneath. Good Idea!

Yeah chashint, I like foam. A lot of my planes are made of foam. I have several parkjets made from Jetset plans. I have an unlimited supply of white foam. 1" all the way up to 12" thick. Some of it is 4' x 8' sheets. High compression foam, medium density foam....you name it. I have a hot wire cutter at my office, but I'm hoping to bring in home and set everything up in one place. I want to build, or buy, a CNC machine in the near future and hopefully get into some CAD modeling. I'm pretty good with computers, and I draw house plans all the time. It's a different form of CAD though. I'm sure that I can pick it up with some help.

Thanks for the pics and the ideas. I'll post pics of my workshop as it comes along.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 01:00 PM
Joined May 2004
1,590 Posts
My hobby shop over looking the lake. About 2500 sq ft or so. Long retired I put this together for my man-cave. Sure makes building toy airplanes a lot easier and quicker. I have a lot of Euro equipment bought before the $ tanked. One really neat machine is a Jet floor spindle sander. A Horizon belt sander makes quick work of edges.

Shop has a 10 HP cyclone for dust collection so it stays clean with no effort.
dusty IV is offline Find More Posts by dusty IV
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:18 PM
Dallas, Texas area
Joined Sep 2003
875 Posts
Here is a shot of my club pylon racer in my climate controlled 'airplane' room.
Table saw, drill press, and bandsaw live on my side of the garage.
Like I said it is a disaster right now.
chashint is offline Find More Posts by chashint
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:34 PM
Joined Jan 2008
115 Posts
geez guys--these workspaces look almost....clean. *shudder*
KaneTheMediocr is offline Find More Posts by KaneTheMediocr
Old Mar 02, 2008, 10:19 AM
Keswick Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2006
34 Posts
Well my work space is not as spacious, it is in the house. My wife decided we needed to have somewhere to do our hobbies, so she gave me the dining room!! I just set it up last week, so there is not much going on yet.

Those work shops are brilliant! I am very envious of you guys, I can only dream of one day having that kind of space and equipment.....someday......

Well I lost the dining room as my hobby space, now I am jamed in to the furnace room. Small but cosy.
rcwannabee is offline Find More Posts by rcwannabee
Last edited by rcwannabee; Jan 24, 2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old Mar 07, 2008, 05:29 PM
Crash test dummy
Alabama
Joined Dec 2005
265 Posts
Man, that's an awesome shop. I want a CNC foam cutter so bad, but I can't justify buying one and I'm dang sure not smart enough to build one. I could build the machine itself, but the electronics would drive me crazy. I'm not very good with electronics.

Where do you buy cloth by the rolls and resin by the 5 gal bucket? I imagine it's cheaper that way.
Old Mar 08, 2008, 09:15 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,180 Posts
Wow, I'm envious. I have parts of a basement that I use to multiplex model building with other projects among overflow storage of household items. I'm not particularly proud of its cluttered condition but pictures represents modeling in a confined basement.

Kane . .,
My layout might be more representative of the majority of us (with basements).

Alan
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Old Mar 08, 2008, 03:20 PM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
Cellar Dweller

Alan,

My grandfather used to build 1/4 scale beasties in the cellar of his home. His airplanes were so big and the stairway so restricting that he had to use an old trap door in the floor--originally there to lower the oil heater down--to bring his planes up!

After his death in '97 I began to convert his barn over into my first real woodshop. This was in Connecticut...

Anyways, here are a few shots of that old barn shop and you can see a giant-scale plane or two hanging around! Built in a cellar by my dear ol' Gramps! Why he never organized his machines and used this building is beyond me, aside from the fact that it needed electrical service run to it.

Carl
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole