HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post
I am a relative beginner (2-3 months) although I have a lot of experience of 1:1 scale. I have a 60" IC trainer and a PZ T-28D. I can fly these reasonably competently and do a few bog standard (and untidy) aeros. I also have a UM T-28 which I fly a lot in the park. I have maxed out the control throws along with a few other small mods but feel I have reached it's limit. Inverted is, of course, negatively stable and it won't KE etc..

My goal is to get into aerobatics and then 3D and I hope to buy a 3DHS Extra 47" next year to start to practice on.

I want something brushless that is going to be a lot of fun in the park but that can be contained in smaller areas when required. Choices:

1) UM Stryker. Seen the full one at the club and it looks SO much fun!

2) Sbach 3D with AS3X. I wondered if, being conventional, it would be of more use considering the path I want to follow.

3) No idea! I was going to put the 540QQ here but it is too big for the park. Nobody minds the tiny T-28! Any other options?

All flying will be park style and all landings will have to be into grass. Beast 3D is out of stock in the entire UK, BTW so not an option. In an ideal world I would get the Stryker and Sbach but the world is not ideal!
The Sbach 3D will do 3D manuevers in a much smaller space than a Stryker. If you want to actually learn 3D manuevers, a larger flat foamy is a better route to go than a 16" full fused plane. The small planes react much faster and are harder to hover and do manuever that require corrections.

a 35" flat foamy is about as threatening as a kite to bystanders, so you could fly it anywhere you can fly a UM T-28.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:48 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
999 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I think I will have to get a Crack Yak 32" or similar when I get to the 3D stage but at the moment I simply want something more fun than the T-28. It's OK but the bigger version I own is a lot more capable.

Every time I am about to order the Stryker, I decide I need the Sbach and vice-versa

Keeps my credit card happy I suppose!
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Dec 2006
145 Posts
Hi, all. I am a huge fan of ye olde WWI biplanes, the old wood-and-fabric kites that jousted in the skies over western France. About 8 months ago I bought a Flyzone Albatros, but encountered many difficulties with the plane due to its breaking gearboxes every other flight. Most of my wrecks weren't even hard crashes, just gentle nose-overs when landing on the dirt field where I fly. I finally shelved it when the brick died, it now shuts off motor power at anything above 5% throttle despite a fully charged battery.

Well here I am 6 months after shelving the project and almost done with school, and I'm looking to get back into flying. I see that Flyzone has released a bunch of new planes, and supposedly improved their quality as well. I bought enough spare parts when I started to build a new Alby using the guts from a parkzone UM P-51, but I honestly much prefer the rotary-engined old birds over the inline-engined ones.

Here's my big question. Should I build a new albatros using my current set of spare parts and a Parkzone brick (and P-51 motor)? Should I buy a new S.E.5a? Should I buy some new spare parts and mix the wings and tail of an S.E.5a with the body of a Nieuport 17 and Parkzone P-51 brick to make me a Sopwith Camel? Or would I get a more robust plane with the body of a DR1 and top wing of an Albatros, to make a Fokker D.VIII "flying razor"?

BTW, does anybody know if Flyzone's new brick with rotating servos can be modified for continuous rotation? I am very tempted to get one for my micro RC galleon sailing ship, but continuous rotation in both directions is a must-have for sail control.
kotori87 is offline Find More Posts by kotori87
Last edited by kotori87; Dec 18, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:36 AM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
I dont mean to sway off topic but some help would be much apreciated I "discovered" that the Beast 3D will be in my possesion from Christmas morning onwards ha ha and for the past two weeks I have been extatic, accumulating and analyzing every scrap of information available on the Beast 3D and its predecesor the UMX Beast. SIMULATOR wise Im fine with 3D planes and can perform basic 3D manuvers to what I consider an acceptable standard mucking around with wind direction, consistancy and strength, BUT thats a sim, My experience with real rc aircraft includes 4Ch coaxial choppers then this year I moved to planes like the Champ (which i love) and the hobbyzone Super Cub both 3CH planes. I would really appreciate opinions from anyone willing to contribute Thanks

PS: I go to boarding school so my rc options are limited with respect to size and avalability of parts so I am OVERLEY cautious when it comes to dinging up the aircraft. The large throws and exesive power along with the lack of dihedral intimidate me :/
Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee is offline Find More Posts by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:30 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The Sbach 3D will do 3D manuevers in a much smaller space than a Stryker. If you want to actually learn 3D manuevers, a larger flat foamy is a better route to go than a 16" full fused plane. The small planes react much faster and are harder to hover and do manuever that require corrections.

a 35" flat foamy is about as threatening as a kite to bystanders, so you could fly it anywhere you can fly a UM T-28.
Get the Sbach. I have and like the Stryker but you will not get anywhere fast with it. It's IMO harder to fly that the sbach and not capable of many 3D maneuvers. Also, the SB handles the wind better with as3x. The only downside to the SB is that you will need some servo covers for the bottom if landing in grass because if you use the gear you will break the decorative pants first flight.
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Last edited by Dannyboy85; Dec 20, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:57 PM
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
999 Posts
Thanks for that input Danny. Looks like it's gonna be an Sbach with AS3X then I would be flying it without the gear so looks like I will need to learn harrier landings (easy in Phoenix - what about real life?) and buy some servo covers - from the Carbon Cub I assume?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that input Danny. Looks like it's gonna be an Sbach with AS3X then I would be flying it without the gear so looks like I will need to learn harrier landings (easy in Phoenix - what about real life?) and buy some servo covers - from the Carbon Cub I assume?
They are pretty easy at least for me.... and the SB is quite tough so even without a harrier you will be able to belly it in easily. I bought a lot of the carbon cub covers off ebay so if you need a few let me know. Only thing I have damaged on my Sbach is the top of the rudder and that happens when I ditch and it lands upside down.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:34 AM
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
999 Posts
Danny,

Thanks

Have you taken the gear off on yours?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:56 AM
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Danny,

Thanks

Have you taken the gear off on yours?
They are just a quick disconnect so you can go back and forth. I mostly fly with them on since I have a path to take off from. But it takes much more skill to land on the wheels at least for me.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:48 AM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
sub'ed
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
656 Posts
Three way tie

I'm considering on of three EDFs, and would like input. The three are Starmax
F9F, F/A-18, and the HK F4D Skyray. Have mastered E-Flight UMX MiG-15,
and 50mm T-45. Have tried the F9F before with bad results. Would be flying with
1300 mAh 25C battery, using a Spektrum DX6I.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:42 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,080 Posts
Go ahead and post/research this in the micro EDFs section. We mostly deal with rtfs, as is common at this scale, the jets you mentioned are larger and take more work. Good luck buddy!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Last edited by airpower; Jan 04, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Go ahead and post/research this in the micro EDFs section. We mostly deal with rtfs, as is common at this scale, the jets you mentioned are larger and take more work. Good luck buddy?
Kind of funny, because that isn't mentioed in the opening post fo this thread:

"All who want to find out if they should get something(or is something better than another) inquire here.

After getting tired with people making "Should I get this plane?" and "Is this plane good?" threads, I have now made an official thread."
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:59 AM
Australia, QLD, Qunaba
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Today, 06:36 PM
#16110 Report

Hi all just wondering if the Sbach 342 3D takes the same batteries as the Beast 3D??? Also just wondering what the Sbach is like to fly. I am thinking of getting one as company for my beast
Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee is offline Find More Posts by Dlta Nvmbr Ynkee
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:08 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,080 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=sbach+beast

Valkpilot, I'm just saying that your questions are a slightly different area of the hobby that doesn't necessarily pertain to this forum. While the original post of this thread does not state rtf aircraft, the name and subject of the forum does,
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Last edited by airpower; Jan 04, 2013 at 11:58 AM.