HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:41 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,241 Posts
Polecat.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:21 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2 View Post
Thanks. I will definitely have a look at the Polecat in particular. (My TX is a DX7S and either 1S or 2S would be fine with me. )

BTW, I just looked into the 7S "preset" downloads on spektrumrc.com and noticed one exists for both the UM Polecat and the UMX Sbach. Cool. (It's probably irrational, but having the presets seems like an extra plus for someone with less experience. In contrast, I cannot seem to find a preset for the micro MIG or GeeBee?)
I fly both the Polecat and my AS3X Sbach on full rates with no expo. Almost every other plane I have has some electronic fiddling with the rates or Expo for better "feel", but the AS3X Sbach and Pole cat are pretty much perfect straight up... I just bound and flew, with the only adjustment made is battery location: Forward for wind, back for Calm (and better Aerobatic performance).
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
from what I understand the the Mig doesn't have that great of vertical.

sbach3d with as3x lots lots vertical- -- so much better than sukhoi xp, uses more airspace and landing area that sukhoi.

Beast3d with as3x--slower, needs less room to fly, can get lots of vertical if you swap out motor to 2300kv and 5043 prop.
beast 3d uses about same amount off airspace and runway as sukhoi xp.
I tried it the other day with my MiG and had no problems going verticle and rolling it over. My greatest concern was the g-forces overcoming the velcro and tossing
out the battery. Didn't happen. BTW I got the Sporster, but haven't assembled or
flown it yet.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:46 PM
os2
AMA 73766
United States, VT
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
the Polecat is the perfect next plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower
Polecat.
Just wanted to say thanks for the excellent suggestion!
I got a Polecat last week, flew it about a half dozen times so far and it's just what I was hoping for as a step up from the T-28 - much more aerobatic and responsive but not out of my league - very fun.

So...for when I'm starting to feel overconfident on the Polecat and want to try a 2S micro, are the Beast, Mig and GeeBee in the same ballpark skill-wise, or are any of these noticeably more or less challenging to pilot? Thanks again!
os2 is offline Find More Posts by os2
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:12 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
In 3-6 weeks you'll be ready for Beast I think if you fly a lot.

I'd say Beast continues to be the most popular and well loved--for many good reasons.

I'd say go for a beast3d or sbach3d--can't go wrong with either--both are 'right' choices.
Sbach3d--quite fast--can go slow too. The beast3d is slower and can be set up tame
with low and high rates @ 70%--horns on outer holes, and 20% expo on everything.

Beast3d does not glide at low speed--sbach3d does.

with both-- flying in wind will not be a problem.

on the other hand a number of people have tended to say after
owning a geebee or mig----"wasn't my cup of tea"

gee bee harder to land and has least amount of flying possiblitites--
gee bee is fast.

2s planes don't like to crash--bad landings okay. if you crash 2s ---very fixable though.
1s planes crash and fly right away again--sukhoi xp very tough.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Last edited by flyrtim; Nov 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:37 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, Helsinki
Joined Nov 2011
144 Posts
Have flown the Champ and the Carbon Cub quite much now. Inverted flights etc goes well with the CC. Will now order a third plane for the "next level". Pondering between the Sbach and the Beast. My airfield is quite small and windy (CC can be flown okay). I want to do 3D maneuvers and practice hovering and harriers. What do you suggest? (My radio is dx6i)
vmmattil is offline Find More Posts by vmmattil
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmmattil View Post
Have flown the Champ and the Carbon Cub quite much now. Inverted flights etc goes well with the CC. Will now order a third plane for the "next level". Pondering between the Sbach and the Beast. My airfield is quite small and windy (CC can be flown okay). I want to do 3D maneuvers and practice hovering and harriers. What do you suggest? (My radio is dx6i)
For 3rd plane I suggest:
um sukhoi xp, um polecat, um-t28--none are great in wind--but good to learn with.

Champ and Ccub are both high wing planes---for 3rd plane I wouldn't suggest beast or sbach yet. I suggest trying a migwing or low wing plane 1s plane first.
if you get 2s 3d plane like sbach3d or beast3d now --boththese planes are great in wind-----you are very likely to crash--and repairs are possible---but the 3 planes I mentioned above are lighter and more durable.

if you are really determined to get sbach3d or beast3d now---set throws on ailerons and elevator really low and keep speed down.
So for example low rates at 55%, high rates at 65%. Also expo at 20%.
Last edited by flyrtim; Dec 10, 2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:57 AM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
For 3rd plane I suggest:
um sukhoi xp, um polecat, um-t28--none are great in wind--but good to learn with.

Champ and Ccub are both high wing planes---for 3rd plane I wouldn't suggest beast or sbach yet. I suggest trying a migwing or low wing plane 1s plane first.
if you get 2s 3d plane like sbach3d or beast3d now --boththese planes are great in wind-----you are very likely to crash--and repairs are possible---but the 3 planes I mentioned above are lighter and more durable.

if you are really determined to get sbach3d or beast3d now---set throws on ailerons and elevator really low and keep speed down.
So for example low rates at 55%, high rates at 65%. Also expo at 20%.
From what I understand a UM-T28 would be a step in the other direction from a CC. While a Polecat and Sukhoi XP would both be more symetrical and likely roll faster they will also be slower on 1s. I would say that getting a Beast or Sbach isn't really a big jump. I don't own either plane(getting a Beast for Xmas) so I can't speak first hand on which one would be better.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Last edited by AustinG; Dec 10, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2008
654 Posts
I have the choice between a Polecat with jr 3810 andorange dsm2 module, or mustang with stock tx for the same price. Which of these two combinations is best for an experienced pilot?
Thanks,
James
-james- is offline Find More Posts by -james-
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
From what I understand a UM-T28 would be a step in the other direction from a CC. While a Polecat and Sukhoi XP would both be more symetrical and likely roll faster they will also be slower on 1s. I would say that getting a Beast or Sbach isn't really a big jump. I don't own either plane(getting a Beast for Xmas) so I can't speak first hand on which one would be better.
I disagree

ccub is not very fast. umt28 flys more like sbach then the ccub.

but,
sukhoi xp is pretty quick. um-28 is not as durable though...so I would suggest
sukhoi xp or polecat--for practice with ailerons in symm wing planes.
sukhoi xp is most like sbach.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
I would not recommend the Su26xp without expo on the controls, but that's of course a personal thing. You may be able to control it without.

It is not an extremely fast flyer, but it is extremely quick on the controls. And saying that the 28 is not as durable is an understatement. The UM T28 is quite fragile, and the UM Su26xp is rather durable.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ls Thumbs View Post
I would not recommend the Su26xp without expo on the controls, but that's of course a personal thing. You may be able to control it without.

It is not an extremely fast flyer, but it is extremely quick on the controls. And saying that the 28 is not as durable is an understatement. The UM T28 is quite fragile, and the UM Su26xp is rather durable.
agreed

I like 40%+ expo on su26xp
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
I'm still flying mine at 50%+ expo, but will be reducing it as I get more experience. I have probably about 75-100 flights on #1. #2 hasn't seen the air yet, but it has gotten a 1.7g aileron servo, as has #1. A recommended upgrade.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ls Thumbs View Post
I'm still flying mine at 50%+ expo, but will be reducing it as I get more experience. I have probably about 75-100 flights on #1. #2 hasn't seen the air yet, but it has gotten a 1.7g aileron servo, as has #1. A recommended upgrade.
sounds like you are ready for sbach3d--if you don't already have one--awesome plane.

once you get one--sukhoi will likely just collect dust.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,259 Posts
I am a relative beginner (2-3 months) although I have a lot of experience of 1:1 scale. I have a 60" IC trainer and a PZ T-28D. I can fly these reasonably competently and do a few bog standard (and untidy) aeros. I also have a UM T-28 which I fly a lot in the park. I have maxed out the control throws along with a few other small mods but feel I have reached it's limit. Inverted is, of course, negatively stable and it won't KE etc..

My goal is to get into aerobatics and then 3D and I hope to buy a 3DHS Extra 47" next year to start to practice on.

I want something brushless that is going to be a lot of fun in the park but that can be contained in smaller areas when required. Choices:

1) UM Stryker. Seen the full one at the club and it looks SO much fun!

2) Sbach 3D with AS3X. I wondered if, being conventional, it would be of more use considering the path I want to follow.

3) No idea! I was going to put the 540QQ here but it is too big for the park. Nobody minds the tiny T-28! Any other options?

All flying will be park style and all landings will have to be into grass. Beast 3D is out of stock in the entire UK, BTW so not an option. In an ideal world I would get the Stryker and Sbach but the world is not ideal!
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround