HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream4002 View Post
All I've got to say is WOW! The Geebee is VERY fast! But it is pretty responsive and stable...

I also had a tree crash which damaged the cowl(not the top part) and dislodged the left landing gear.

SS
Trees are easy to hit when you fly near them.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
703 Posts
UMX Sbach or GP Super Sportster?

UMX Sbach or GP Sportster? The Sbach is the original UMX version, and the Sportster 40" version. My main concern is which will handle winds between
5 to 10 MPH better?
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:28 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkpilot View Post
UMX Sbach or GP Sportster? The Sbach is the original UMX version, and the Sportster 40" version. My main concern is which will handle winds between
5 to 10 MPH better?
5 to 10 mph isn't all that much. The non AS3X will fly fine in that wind. The AS3X will fly in 15-20 mph winds.

The big difference between the 2 is where you can fly it. The Sbach will fly in 1/4 the space of a 40" plane and won't freak out the neighbors like a 40" plane would.

If you are talking about only flying at an AMA flying field, the 40" plane might be better.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
5 to 10 mph isn't all that much. The non AS3X will fly fine in that wind. The AS3X will fly in 15-20 mph winds.

The big difference between the 2 is where you can fly it. The Sbach will fly in 1/4 the space of a 40" plane and won't freak out the neighbors like a 40" plane would.

If you are talking about only flying at an AMA flying field, the 40" plane might be better.
Now there's the rub. The "offficial" field I fly at is paved, but small and in the middle of a forest, with clearance similar to flying up and down a hall. I usually
have to make at least 2 passes to land my Flyzone Sensei. And at the end of the month, they'll probably close doen the access road to the access road, so I'll
pretty much be flying from a grassy area. Does the Sbach handle landings and
takeoffs well in a soccer/baseball field environment?
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:01 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Now there's the rub. The "offficial" field I fly at is paved, but small and in the middle of a forest, with clearance similar to flying up and down a hall. I usually
have to make at least 2 passes to land my Flyzone Sensei. And at the end of the month, they'll probably close doen the access road to the access road, so I'll
It hand launchs easy and plops down into grass without damage. Servo covers are really the only mod it would need. I also have harriered mine into a dense bush so I don't have to bend over the pick it up.

My Runway is 20 feet long by about 8 feet wide and the sbach easily operates off this. In a harrier, it flies slower than a T-28.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:56 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,692 Posts
Quote:
I land on a football field (American football) if it's too windy to land on the adjacent track. In a 5+ mph wind I can come in very slow and even and just plop it down. UNGN perfected the harrier landing which takes no space at all. There is a video. No way it's going to take off with those tiny wheels. Hand launch is OK but fast.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
I was flying the geebee for a second time earlier today. I set it on the ground and took off and after 3-4 seconds, the elevator went into full down deflection and got stuck and needless to say, it crashed nose first from 5-6 meters high(full throttle=full speed) The plane is now in pieces and unfixable. I sent a email to horizon about this... let's see if they're replace the defect plane...

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:11 PM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
double post... :-|

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
431 Posts
First 2s plane following Sukhoi XP? I was leaning towards the Mig because I figured that the Beast or Sbach would probably be similar to the XP only with better performance. Figured that the Mig was different yet so it wouldn't replace the kind of flying done with the XP. Any thoughts on that line of thinking?
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:37 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
First 2s plane following Sukhoi XP? I was leaning towards the Mig because I figured that the Beast or Sbach would probably be similar to the XP only with better performance. Figured that the Mig was different yet so it wouldn't replace the kind of flying done with the XP. Any thoughts on that line of thinking?
If you like flying the Sukhoi, if you get a AS3X Sbach, you might never fly the Sukhoi again.

Stuff you wish the XP could do, the Sbach 3D does easily.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
from what I understand the the Mig doesn't have that great of vertical.

sbach3d with as3x lots lots vertical- -- so much better than sukhoi xp, uses more airspace and landing area that sukhoi.

Beast3d with as3x--slower, needs less room to fly, can get lots of vertical if you swap out motor to 2300kv and 5043 prop.
beast 3d uses about same amount off airspace and runway as sukhoi xp.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:31 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
An AS3X Sbach with SFG's will fly in a smaller space and land easier than a Sukhoi XP.

I still can't land my XP on my tricky landing strip, but my AS3X sbach harriers in for a perfect touch down, easily and predictably.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:13 AM
os2
AMA 73766
United States, VT
Joined Jun 2012
104 Posts
Plane progression after Champ and T-28...

What 3rd plane would you say is a good next step to continue to build skills incrementally after flying a Champ and a UM T-28, but before trying to fly the most challenging UMX planes? (I've already got a GeeBee and a Mig waiting for my skills to catch up ... and an Sbach or Beast look great, but even further beyond my level.) Suggestions? Thanks
os2 is online now Find More Posts by os2
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:11 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2 View Post
What 3rd plane would you say is a good next step to continue to build skills incrementally after flying a Champ and a UM T-28, but before trying to fly the most challenging UMX planes? (I've already got a GeeBee and a Mig waiting for my skills to catch up ... and an Sbach or Beast look great, but even further beyond my level.) Suggestions? Thanks
If you stay 1S and don't have a good TX (like a DX6i), the Polecat is the perfect next plane. Even if you do have a good TX, the Polecat is great because it doesn't need Expo or D/R to fly (unlike something like a Sukhoi XP)

Flat wing, so you'll need to keep the wings level manually, but it isn't twitchy, and is very stable in pitch and yaw (so you can concentrate on becoming an expert flier in roll).

The Polecat flys as well inverted as right side up, so it teaches inverted flight and it lands beautifully, with no tip stall tendancies.

The AS3X Sbach is nearly as easy to fly and is much more cabable, but a mistake will cause considerably more damage with as Sbach vs. a polecat. I have re-attached my Nose and wings on my sbach countless times while my polecat has only lost its tail once, flying into a tree at full speed, and with a little glue and it was back flying. Because It won't do crazy manuevers like the AS3X sbach can, The polecat puts itself at risk much less and weighing 30g less helps reduce damage, too.

I am on record as disliking both the Sbach and the Polecat when they first came out, but they are absolutely great fliers and two of my most favorite planes to fly (out of at least 30).
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:02 PM
os2
AMA 73766
United States, VT
Joined Jun 2012
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
If you stay 1S and don't have a good TX (like a DX6i), the Polecat is the perfect next plane.
Thanks. I will definitely have a look at the Polecat in particular. (My TX is a DX7S and either 1S or 2S would be fine with me. )

BTW, I just looked into the 7S "preset" downloads on spektrumrc.com and noticed one exists for both the UM Polecat and the UMX Sbach. Cool. (It's probably irrational, but having the presets seems like an extra plus for someone with less experience. In contrast, I cannot seem to find a preset for the micro MIG or GeeBee?)
os2 is online now Find More Posts by os2