SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:06 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Which?

E-flite UMX MIG15 DF BNF
E-flite UMX Beast 3D BNF basic
Blade MCPX v2

forgot this one: E-flite UMX Geebee

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Last edited by starscream4002; Aug 18, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:21 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream4002 View Post
Which?

E-flite UMX MIG15 DF BNF
E-flite UMX Beast 3D BNF basic
Blade MCPX v2

SS
Depends, what do you like to fly?
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:42 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
I want something fun to fly and it really needs to be durable and longlasting(servos, motor, blade gripper, etc)
I like the scale looks of the MIG15 and I think it is the fastest of the two. I think it's the easiest to fly among the them... Can it do aerobatics?
I like how cool the beast looks and the fact that it's aerobatic and can hover. But it's not as fast as the MIG.(Or is it?) Could someone compare the flight time of the two on the same battery?
I really want to step up from the 4ch coaxial heli I own and want to learn to do some serious heli acrobatics and do some sport flying. But what concerns me is that the MCP X might not be able to take any abuse... and the motors and servos would wear out too soon. Is this correct?

In terms of plane experience, I can fly 3D planes comfortably(almost)
In terms of heli experience, my last heli was a 4ch coaxial

Which do you think is best for a pilot like me?

Thnx, SS
Last edited by starscream4002; Aug 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Oct 2006
325 Posts
Starscream4002:
Sorry for your confusion. I have all of the above aircraft except my MCPX is version 1 rather than V2 which I think has the AS3X and a few other mods for greater response and control. To your possible surprise, the Mig 15 is the hardest to fly. Although it is the BEST Micro EDF you could buy, its low thrust in its current form limits its flight envelope making the controls VERY mushy at low speeds. This requires more skill and gives you fewer options to "pull-out" of that near crash Couple that with the STOCK battery giving only 3min of flight time can cause the impatient to be stuck at the bench with repairs.

The Beast is the best at flight! The 3D version also has the AS3X system which truly turns this into a 3D Acrobatic. The flight envelope is WIDE and it's fun to fly whether slow or fast. Obviously, there are NO problems with thrust. I think the Mig 15 is faster, especially if you do a low deck strife..how fun! However, there are battery and motor mods to make the Beast into a race horse too! Just to be complete, I think the UMX Stryker is the FASTEST Micro.

I like the Blade MCPX. Can it hold up to the larger 130X in performance, maybe not. But because of its low-weight it can take the most abuse of any CCPM I've ever flown. The V2 can probably do more confident acrobatics. From my lack of enthusiasm you could probably tell I fly planes better.

In the end:
MOST FUN: Beast, MIG-15 then MCPX (you know I'm not a heli guy)
MOST DURABLE: MCPX, Beast then MIG-15 (Beast can be made just as tough with the lower wing strengthening mods available)
FUN/DURABILITY RATIO: Beast, MCPX then MIG-15

For the things you want, the dual ratio is the key! Good luck.
Aloha Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Aloha Flyer
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:46 PM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Thanks a lot! How does the beast3D compare to the Geebee and Sbach342?

SS
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:28 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
What's the difference between the UMX Beast 3D, the UMX Geebee and the UMX Sbach342 in terms of flight performance?

SS
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Oct 2006
325 Posts
I have the original Beast...not the 3D, nor Sbach or Geebee. I can only compare the Beast and maybe the Sbach. Although I don't have the Sbach, I modified a ParkZone UMX Micro Sukhoi SU-26 to 2S, both have similar airframes eg midwing pattern/acrobatic.

The Beast will have a WIDER flight envelope (slow to fast) than the Sbach BUT because of its wing configuration, the Sbach should be straight line faster. Both can do acrobatics and 3D, but the Beast can do it at slower speeds. Since the Beast 3D has the AS3X system, its maneuvers will be smoother and less choppy.

It comes down to how much areobatics you want to do or what airframe looks better in the air to you. If I had YOUR money, I would buy ALL 3 of your choices including the MiG-15. If you like to fly prop you couldn't go wrong...BUT if you could ONLY have one for now... BEAST 3D
Aloha Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Aloha Flyer
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:09 PM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
thnx alot! Will now decide between the geebee and the beast(will get the one that looks better)
I guess they both fly pretty much the same... almost...

SS
Last edited by starscream4002; Aug 20, 2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:32 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
I really want to step up from the 4ch coaxial heli I own and want to learn to do some serious heli acrobatics and do some sport flying. But what concerns me is that the MCP X might not be able to take any abuse... and the motors and servos would wear out too soon. Is this correct?

In terms of plane experience, I can fly 3D planes comfortably(almost)
In terms of heli experience, my last heli was a 4ch coaxial

Which do you think is best for a pilot like me?

Thnx, SS
Going from 4ch coax heli straight to cp is quite a jump. Have you considered the Blade SR 120? I've been flying mine for a year now - gym in winter and basement/quiet evenings in summer - and have learned a lot! It's fixed pitch so no 3D but paired with a good tx it's a blast to fly. Check out the "E-Flite Blade 120 SR Thread" forum.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:52 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Actually I have lots of CP experience from the sim and also 3D airplane experience. I've also flown the solo pro once (high rates) but it seems like my coax flies the same.

SS
Last edited by starscream4002; Aug 22, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:07 AM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Actually I have lots of CP experience from the sim and also 3D airplane experience. I've also flown the solo pro once (high rates) but it seems like mine flies the same.

SS
Cool, then you're way ahead of me! I just picked up my first airplane, a Carbon Cub, a couple of weeks ago. I had heard that it's supposed to be more for an intermediate pilot but the lhs owner is also our club instructor so I can "buddy box" with him for a while.

We did crash the CC twice the first time we took it up but it was a QC problem with the plane - elevator servo locked up on the second and third flight - so HH is replacing the plane no questions asked.

I also bought a Champ to sort of break myself in on the whole airplane thing - heli's are a whole different story and my thumbs are all crossed up. That and I have to keep my fingers crossed that I don't crash it!
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:40 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,352 Posts
have over 100 flights on my micro t28 now and wondering what you guys think would be a good next micro? i dont care for 3d but would love my second plane to be faster and more manuverable. pole cat or beast? i love the idea of a biplane but want something that i can still slow down nice for landings on smooth hard dirt. i think take offs and landings are 1/2 the fun so belly landing in grass if of no interest to me. thanks, walt
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:35 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
have over 100 flights on my micro t28 now and wondering what you guys think would be a good next micro? i dont care for 3d but would love my second plane to be faster and more manuverable. pole cat or beast? i love the idea of a biplane but want something that i can still slow down nice for landings on smooth hard dirt. i think take offs and landings are 1/2 the fun so belly landing in grass if of no interest to me. thanks, walt
What TX do you have?

If you have a DX6i or better and have mastered a T-28, the Sukhoi XP is a lot of fun and way more manuverable than the T-28, yet still flies for 8 minutes on $2 Nanotechs.

The Beast is very good and Batteries are 1/4 the cost of what they were when the original beast came out, but the Beast isn't good for learning aerobatics, like a sukhoi. The Sukhoi will bounce on grass if you make a mistake and you toss it back it into the air.

The beast will CRUNCH and you are done for the day.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:28 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,352 Posts
thanks. i have the dx6i. do you guys like the pole cat?
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:30 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
thanks. i have the dx6i. do you guys like the pole cat?
The Polecat is "nicer" than a Sukhoi (better foam finish), and easier to fly without expo than a sukhoi, but has issues with the motor impacting the RX brick during a crash, shorting the board and burning out the rudder FET. It isn't as agile as the XP and the rudder is too small for some aerobatics.

If you have a TX with Expo, you will probably be happier with the way the Sukhoi flies. Swap in a $13 2030L Long throw Servo on ailerons and it it will fly even better.

The Sukhoi is "harder to fly" than a T-28, but is actually MUCH EASIER to perform rolling manuevers and fly inverted than a T-28, and it will perform stunts that are impossible on the T-28.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN