HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 04:06 AM
anti-wind activist
Joined Dec 2002
474 Posts
how does the Air Hogs X-Twin ('stunt' jet), compare to the rest of air hogs stuff?

btw...what an absolutely retarded name to give it, much like the "Alien" UFO. a bit generic and confusing, considering that x-twin = the whole aero ace line, in silverlit branding.

is it easy to turn?
can it loop?
is it real fast?
require a large area?
is the nose protected?
how does it compare to jetscream?
how does it compare to other aero-ace classics like the aa jet, bipe, sport, etc.?
thrashaero is offline Find More Posts by thrashaero
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2008, 04:24 AM
Heidelberg, Germany
Joined Apr 2000
298 Posts
Great thread SONICJET--THANKS!!

Hi SONICJET,
A few years ago I purchased the original Plantraco 'Butterfly' made of balsa and tissue. I felt comfortable doing so since I had built balsa and tissue/ silk-span RC back in the 60s. Although it flew well, it proved to be much to delicate for my taste. More recently they have come out with the 'carbon version of the 'Butterfly'. I know its expensive,, so was the original, but I was wondering if I can improve on my experience with the first one from a durability stand point with this 'carbon rod' version? And does it or will it fly nearly the same as the balsa version?---On an unrelated matter, I know that you have not yet experienced the New Jump Jet being made available as of yesterday from Snelflight/Alien air---Of which many have been following under the Alien air thread, I have kind of been involved with that as has XLCRLEE through our conversations, and if you would like SONICJET, I will post my observations either to you or through you when mine arrives here in a few days here in Germany --do not want to hog your thread with my information on the JJ. I believe that EXCRLEE will tell you that we are both gentelmen in that regard. (LEE, you better back me up on that!!) Any way thanks for starting this thread, it will no doubt serve every one so very well!!--best wishes, Rhett
Rhett is offline Find More Posts by Rhett
Old Mar 19, 2008, 05:08 AM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashaero
how does the Air Hogs X-Twin ('stunt' jet), compare to the rest of air hogs stuff?

btw...what an absolutely retarded name to give it, much like the "Alien" UFO. a bit generic and confusing, considering that x-twin = the whole aero ace line, in silverlit branding.

is it easy to turn?
can it loop?
is it real fast?
require a large area?
is the nose protected?
how does it compare to jetscream?
how does it compare to other aero-ace classics like the aa jet, bipe, sport, etc.?
the plane really differs from one to another... look for one with copyright 2007 those have better qc unfortunately the cg still is different in different planes but luckly it can be set up to loop or go fast.

Quote:
Hi SONICJET,
A few years ago I purchased the original Plantraco 'Butterfly' made of balsa and tissue. I felt comfortable doing so since I had built balsa and tissue/ silk-span RC back in the 60s. Although it flew well, it proved to be much to delicate for my taste. More recently they have come out with the 'carbon version of the 'Butterfly'. I know its expensive,, so was the original, but I was wondering if I can improve on my experience with the first one from a durability stand point with this 'carbon rod' version? And does it or will it fly nearly the same as the balsa version?---On an unrelated matter, I know that you have not yet experienced the New Jump Jet being made available as of yesterday from Snelflight/Alien air---Of which many have been following under the Alien air thread, I have kind of been involved with that as has XLCRLEE through our conversations, and if you would like SONICJET, I will post my observations either to you or through you when mine arrives here in a few days here in Germany --do not want to hog your thread with my information on the JJ. I believe that EXCRLEE will tell you that we are both gentelmen in that regard. (LEE, you better back me up on that!!) Any way thanks for starting this thread, it will no doubt serve every one so very well!!--best wishes, Rhett
Thanks, a lot of people say that the cf butterfly is not worth it because you aren't going to really need full proportional controls also it flys just as slow as a palm z, if you want a cheaper option get a palm z or go to www.indoorflyer.co.uk and build your own using the picco z tx ,iz2 rx,palm-z prop ,50 mah batt and one of their bird acts- that will get you real close to the cf butterfly in performance(this set up is proportional) while under 100$

You can make an review thread for the jj.
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:19 PM
Heidelberg, Germany
Joined Apr 2000
298 Posts
Thanks

I kind of thought so regarding what you said, but your opinion was much appreciated, I really in fact think that Plantraco had a good idea when they first came out with it 'Worlds Smallest RC plane,, in its own case' and no disrespect to Plantraco, That was yesterdays news,, but I still respect thier involvement, in micro indoor flying, and thats why I asked about the NEW 'Carbon Butterfly' update which of course is a newer offer based on thier existing and popular but very fragile first offer, of the balsa version. Could you or any of your respondents, perhaps be a little bit more specific as to my original questions, is it more durable, ( I Hope) than the original balsa version?--Does it (the carbon version) fly as well or better than the original balsa version? And to what degree? and at nearly 300 dollars retail, perhaps less on the street, complete with every thing needed to fly, aluminum case included, can that sort of price be justified these days with other similar offerings on the Market at the moment for a similar type, small RC aircraft?? thanks for your consideration, and input---best wishes, Rhett
Rhett is offline Find More Posts by Rhett
Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:37 PM
"raven" didn't fit, heh
southeast Alaska
Joined Nov 2007
934 Posts
Rhett -- the Carbon Butterfly is worth every penny. i never flew the normal (balsa/tissue) Butterfly, but Plantraco says the CB is even slower and more stable and videos seem to confirm that

hate to admit it, but i've crashed my CB a good deal. and it's held up well. in fact, the two brakes i've had were both from someone picking-up/handling it wrong (someone else, not me of course, nope, no). one was a cf rod that snapped just outside a connector, another was mylar starting to come lose on the elevator. less than a drop of CA fixed both. my mylar hasn't torn at all, and that was what most concerned me when i first ordered the plane

it can ROG in about a foot, and land on your coffee table, something i understand the original couldn't do. also, it's got enough power to loop if the pilot has the skill, heh

i think you can get the plane-and-case-only package if you already have a tx (i seem to recall the plane-and-case was $220). i recommend at least a couple extra batteries -- i have a total of 5, and can get close to a full hour of flying at a time

--grandfather raven
grandfather ra is offline Find More Posts by grandfather ra
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:47 AM
To invent is nothing... But to fly is everything.
Joined Mar 2006
454 Posts
Wash-out

To add wash-out on these planes I found simply massaging twist into the wings works well.

See demo in this youtube clip.

Rolling Fury by Air Hogs wing slats modification (3 min 22 sec)

Good luck,
SA
SlowAero is offline Find More Posts by SlowAero
Last edited by SlowAero; Mar 20, 2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 03:12 PM
United States, ME, Augusta
Joined Feb 2007
19 Posts
My local k mart has three different planes on sale right now,all with the aero ace name.One is a bi, one a mono and one looks kind of like the x twin.
All three 19.95, which is the best?
I'd also like to cast my vote for the nano hawk as an awesome indoor flyer and the mini xpv for outdoors. I've had good luck and alot of fun with both of these planes.
xt600 is offline Find More Posts by xt600
Old Mar 22, 2008, 03:25 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
i would get the mono, many people here say bipe, other say mono, so i say there equal
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Mar 22, 2008, 04:16 PM
Joined Mar 2006
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowAero
To add wash-out on these planes I found simply massaging twist into the wings works well.

See demo in this youtube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiaBsPPXT4g

Good luck,
SA
Very nice job on the video ! It makes me want to give this plane a shot.
rms42155@comcast is offline Find More Posts by rms42155@comcast
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:35 AM
To invent is nothing... But to fly is everything.
Joined Mar 2006
454 Posts
Thanks rms,

The one in the video was bought in July (channel B). I have been flying it quite allot. Just picked up a new one (blue channel C) and man what a difference new motors make. I am very happy. I'll probably swipe motors from a jet I haven't flown much to freshen up the channel B one.

Do give the Fury a try. If you have any issues I'll be glad to help any way I can. Feel free to PM me. I didn't add any 9mm extenders to the tail on this one and it seems fine. Don't think you need them.

It took me a bit of practice to tune-in to this particular model/control system. I fumbled at first. I watch the angle of the fuse carefully to constantly manage the attitude with elevator blips. Also hand launch and fly at less than half throttle and pull back the power when it begins to dive in turns. When powering up in climb, blip down ele to keep from looping.

Someone said learning this different mode of operation may mess up their coordination controlling their big planes. There may be something to that. Guess I am a master of none guy. I fly Picco-Zs, AA bipes, sports, fixed pitch helis, 3Ds, sailplanes, IFOs, homebuilt airplanes (the kind you sit in and have to buy gas for), drive a car, a motorcycle, sometimes windsurf, walk and chew gum, among other things. The diversity is good fun for me.

All the best,
SA
SlowAero is offline Find More Posts by SlowAero
Last edited by SlowAero; Mar 24, 2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:42 PM
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,452 Posts
Ok, so this is the 'what plane should I buy' thread, so I'm going to do something I've not done before, and ask that question - I have about $100 to spend on an rtf, the three choices I've come up with are: the avion(propo rudder and thrust), the plantraco classroom fighters (already got a tx) and the revell piloto(not sure if propo rudder or not). I want this plane for flying indoors in a large sitting room and out the front door on still evenings. I realise that the avion is ir, but it seems to have a much better range than the palmz/nanohawk from the videos I've seen, and my pz does alright outdoors out of direct sun. Main concern I have about a classroom fighter is the speed and the weight - don't want to be only able to fly it outside and in absolute stillness, again my palmz does surprisingly well in a light breeze. Read good things about the revell, esp like the fact it's rf not ir, but don't want a non-propo rudder. Also, going to buy a minium on Friday (I love payday!), this will be for outdoors only as there is nowhere in Plymouth to fly indoors at the moment, although I'm seeing about setting up a club and finding a venue. I've read the citabria flies slower but can handle a light breeze better, maybe because of the extra few g, maybe different prop. What's peoples' experience of these two planes? I've used the search function til I've gone round in circles and still can't work out which planes might be best. Also open for other suggestions for LRF, but can't spend more than $100 and do prefer rudder as opposed to diff thrust. Thanks in advance for your help!
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:46 PM
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,452 Posts
Oh, should have said that I can fly an swp til the battery runs out, same with aa bipe and the palmz, as well as my lipo modded aerosoar, and pretty good now with 5#6. Just want a slow relaxing little plane for the doorstep that won't scratch the neighbours' cars if I do happen to crash into them... And got a nice park and a few bits of wasteground within a few minutes walk to fly the minium at, and a fully surrounded carpark behind a large diy store with 40' walls all round about 10 mins walk away.
Last edited by thewildweasel; Mar 24, 2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:32 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
try a parkzone slo-v 99$ slow and similar to a gws slow-stick for the park
or a hobby-zone phantom.
just reread your posts -unless you have a big house the avion and fighters will not fly in your house dont know about the piloto,the parkflyer phantom can fly in high winds.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:54 PM
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,452 Posts
sonicjet, thanks, I'll look into the phantom, but can't have anything that's at all big (over 24"!) or I'll get moaned at by the missus. Solved the lrf, just found a brand new avion on ebay for a lot less than they normally are over here, about half price when you factor in p&p, so that's on its way. Will prob get the piloto too if it's propo rudder, and you just know that I'll end up with a classroom fighter at some point and and and.....
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:23 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
The phantom is 28inches but the wing is very easy to remove(2 rubber bands)...it's weight is 8.5oz...it is very agile but it is also very durable!
that avion is good but if it breaks megajunk will do nothing for you tho .. mine broke the first day but that was my fault .