HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:59 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
either one works really. the nano tech ones are only a tiny bit better.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2011, 04:12 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
I think it is absolutely worth going with a DX7, ESPECIALLY if you are sure you will be in the hobby for future years. The DX6i is a great value and will do what you need to be able to fly; but you cannot really grow with the radio. I had my dx6i for about a year before moving on to a better tx.

Personally after coming from a JR 6102 to the DX6i, I felt the DX6i was miserable; after using Futaba and JR transmitters, the DX6i feels like a cheap plastic toy. In my opinion, the DX7 feels like a more professional transmitter. Next time you are in your LHS, pick up a few different transmitters and start moving the sticks and flipping switches and you will see what I mean.

My Tx progression has gone from the Jr 6102, to the DX6i, to the JR 9303 and now I am flying the JR11x... I hope to not have the need for a new transmitter for a very long time

Another super incredible transmitter has just been released by XPS with 16 channels, and more telemetry options and programming capibilities than anything else I have read about. They are going to be selling these at I think around $230 +1 XPS! Here is the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243767

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitzsim View Post
Thanks for the replies. You all rock. I'm so glad I found this forum.

It looks like I'm going to go with the T-28

For 2 dollar's I may as well buy a bunch of the turnigy 160's from HK. Heck of a lot cheaper than the eflight 120's and the best part is they work with my charger. WOOT.

I've thought about the DX7. Is it worth spending the extra 50 bucks for 10 more model memory and 3 position flaps? Maybe. That I will have to seriously ponder. Anyone's 2 cents on that would be grateful.

Oh almost forgot with those 2$ turnigy batteries what C rating should I be looking for? I see two different models on the HK website. 30C and 20c w/ 40C burst.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:40 PM
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to keep an eye on that xps controller.
dfitzsim is offline Find More Posts by dfitzsim
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:16 PM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Personally after coming from a JR 6102 to the DX6i, I felt the DX6i was miserable; after using Futaba and JR transmitters, the DX6i feels like a cheap plastic toy. In my opinion, the DX7 feels like a more professional transmitter. Here is the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243767
The JR-manufactured DX6i doesn't feel like a cheap plastic toy, except to those trying to rationalize a 7 purchase. My best friend has the DX7 and he prefers the toggle switches on the 6. Both tx's are completely plastic, the DX7 just has Chinese chrome paint on it disguising its full plastic construction. Also, the DX7 is not balanced, hang it by its lanyard hook and you will see what I mean. Additionally, there is some hearsay about the DX7 being discontinued, you should look into this before buying a possible last of the mohicans transmitter. If I were you, I would get the new DX6i with DSMX and be set for the next 4 years.

Now that I've stood up for the 6'ers out there, I will say that, obviously, both are perfectly fine transmitters, it just depends on what you want to fly. I'm going to law school next year, and could care less about getting into super complex thrust vectoring df's or flybarless helis that would require 7 or more channels. I just enjoy stress free flying inside and outside around my house. Also, ask yourself if you really need more programming beyond DR and EXP, and if you need 3 modes rather than 2, etc, etc. it's a matter of utility, not plastic.
Peace, sorry for ranting.
John

OH YA, go with the T-28!
represent is offline Find More Posts by represent
Last edited by represent; Feb 16, 2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: additon
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:35 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
I will agree that if all you need is DR and EXPO, the 6i is an economical and practical choice. I would also agree that I like the stick positions on the 6i more than the 7.

"feel" is subjective; and to me, the 6i "feels" like it is of a lesser quality. My point of the previous post was that if you think you will be in the hobby for the forseeable future, the 6i will only accomodate you for a short period of time before you are back in the market looking for a new tx.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:09 PM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
"feel" is subjective; and to me, the 6i "feels" like it is of a lesser quality. My point of the previous post was that if you think you will be in the hobby for the forseeable future, the 6i will only accomodate you for a short period of time before you are back in the market looking for a new tx.
You're right, wasn't trying to butt heads, just let people know that the 6 is perfect for "light to medium rc use."

Wish it had more model memory though!

John
represent is offline Find More Posts by represent
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:23 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
I do wish they would update the 6i when they start sending out the DSMX versions.

Things I would like to see, in keeping with a 6ch radio:

backlit screen
throttle timer (for us electric guys!)
replace 2-position switches with 3
servo speed options (for flap channel)
more than 2 mixes
SD card for expanding model memory
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:04 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Thankyou for this thread! Heres my question:

Bought a cheapo HK J3 (see here) in military colours, and want to know if the following is a decent setup for it (470g weight, 37" wingspan, wing area 13.7dm^2):

Hextronicks 24g 3000kv motor w/ 8x3.8 prop
30A ESC
800mah 2s 20C lipo battery

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:48 PM
USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
I have a 24g hextronik motor (aka "blue wonder") in a Twisted Hobbys Xtra Slick, and I'm guessing it gets about 350-400g of thrust on a 2s turning a 9x4.7 prop. You might want to try a bigger motor if that flying weight is accurate. This is just what I've experienced from my use of that motor. You might want a second opinion. And the 30A esc seems a little excessive...the esc I'm using is only 12A.
3dflyboy1 is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyboy1
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
Last edited by 3dflyboy1; Feb 19, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:00 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Thanks 3dflyboy1 (brilliant board name by the way!), just the info I'm looking for. I might see about getting that prop you mentioned.

On the ESC, I didn't have a clue so figured a 30A ESC wouldn't hurt apart from being slightly heavier than a smaller one. The NanoPlanes Babyshark uses the same motor and they specify a 30A ESC... but then again that plane is touching 100mph in a 3s battery.

No idea if the flight weight is accurate or not as I've yet to take delivery of the model.

Thanks again for the advice - boingk
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:20 PM
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
You're very welcome. For a 2s, anything 12A and above should be fine. And if lowest possible weight isn't you're goal, the 30A will be just fine.

Which hextronik motor are you using? the higher or lower kv? If it's the lower kv (I believe its 1400 or 1500kv) the 9x4.7 prop would work nicely. (only on a 2s batt)
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:28 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Its the 3000kv motor... anything more than I've propped it would probably kill it on 2s from what I've heard. If I wanted to go 3s and give max thrust then I'd need to prop it at 4.75x4.75 or equivalent.

Cheers - boingk
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:19 PM
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
You're right. With the higher kv motor, it has a higher rpm but less torque than the 1500kv and can't turn as big a prop. Anything bigger than 8x3.8 would heat up the motor too much. You would have to use the 1500kv version to run a 9x4.7 prop. I don't know about the 3s option, as I've never tried it.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:40 AM
United States, IN, New Palestine
Joined Jun 2004
425 Posts
UM J3 Cub vs. UM Champ

They seem fairly similiar with the Champ coming with slightly higher MAH 1s batteries. Anyone had experience with either to know the difference between the two and which one is better and why? I couldnt find much on here regarding these two. I'm looking to get it for my dad who isnt completely a beginner but really needs to start with something a little easier than the P-51, ext.

Thanks in advance.
SilverHeli2000 is offline Find More Posts by SilverHeli2000