SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 03, 2008, 10:14 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
the cherokee??? check out kyosho's website.
about the interceptor at RS
i have been interested in it to, i would spend my money on a phantom first, as its only $20 more expensive depending where you buy, or a ITC hulk or ironman if you can make a deal with a canadian(both of mine are still flying, great planes), it would be really hard to make a deal for a acrobat successor, but none the less if what they say on the back of the megatech box is true....
dude..this thing has unusually good reviews on the rat shack site. usually most of the reviews are horrible even on a really good product(think starscream)...
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Last edited by airpower; Dec 03, 2008 at 10:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2008, 04:24 PM
Advanced District5 Champion!
In the vicinity of the midwest.... home of large lots of land to fly in!!
Joined Mar 2008
2,364 Posts
the interceptor is simply a pinnacle of design.

when will I get my MCX back from repairs???
Ironbowser is offline Find More Posts by Ironbowser
Old Dec 03, 2008, 10:27 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
i expect 2 weeks
Old Dec 04, 2008, 01:22 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Aug 2007
158 Posts
Im really liking my interceptor, but it doesnt like wind at all, otherwise its a great plane to fly at night, especially with the lights.
gandhimtb is offline Find More Posts by gandhimtb
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:46 AM
Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Joined Nov 2008
136 Posts
I was telling my boss how much I liked my ITC Razor, though I've only had one decent flying session so far. He mentioned he'd always wanted a RC plane as a kid, and I figured there's no better time than now with all of the good cheap options out there, so I'm trying to convert him into a flying buddy. Before I recommend the Razor, I thought I'd check with the experts. What would you recommend for a complete beginner? It should be A) easy to trim - the better out of the box the...well...better B) easy to fly C) very durable to absorb crashes gracefully without breaking props, electronics, or the airframe D) inexpensive, probably no more than $40, though I don't know exactly what his budget is.

Of course, the Razor fits the bill nicely, but I just don't know what else is out there. Not to mention the Razor's electronics are notoriously ill-behaved in cold weather, and that fact seriously limits flying opportunities this time of year, even here in Texas.
4evrplan is offline Find More Posts by 4evrplan
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:33 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,776 Posts
I LOVE my Razor -- one of my BEST micro planes. They are currently on sale @ TRU for $20.

To trim, I've had to occassionally add a pea-sized lump of sticky tack to the nose, or put a small masking tape flap on the rudder. Flies well, glides well, and already has zero throttle turning.

VERY durable -- can nose into a parking lot, watch it bounce up 3 feet, and just go fly again. No need for super glue!

It would be my first choice....
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:39 AM
Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Joined Nov 2008
136 Posts
I've sent him an email with two recommendations, the Razor and the Firebird Phantom. That way, he can pick the one he wants based on entry price. We'll see if he takes the bait.
4evrplan is offline Find More Posts by 4evrplan
Old Dec 12, 2008, 06:48 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
the razor has also notoriously bin a short lived plane, firbird phantom is good, ever since the AA bipe went out how are we supposed to teach the fundamentals of flying on its most basic level, the MXPV is good, a little hard to turn at first, just tell him it only only needs about 1 second's worth of turn input on the radio to keep it turning nicely and blip it everytime time the turn slows down, on sale at big lots for $20
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:00 PM
Seattle Area
Joined Dec 2008
17 Posts
I want to pick up a cheap plane ($20 to $30 range) to play around with, I think it is something my kids will enjoy watching and I can see their interest for future investment (we have an rc field down the street). I am confused by all of the different planes referenced in this thread.

I have seen the Estes 4162 at TRU and a whole bunch of different Air Hogs. I waited to long to pull the trigger on the XPV 2.0 Shadow Hawk from Target and it went out of stock which looked like one of the better planes (now it is up at $80 on Amazon).

Can someone post a quick list of the different ones (maybe top 5 available now) and a brief opinion/where to buy?
jjct1 is offline Find More Posts by jjct1
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:21 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Personally, I think Airhogs rules! And when(if) the body gets trashed beyond repair, you can throw the guts into a home made plane(mini pbfs are awsome. Search mini pbf here on rcg, and you should be able to find Leadfeather's thread). I would highly recommend the X-Twin(only at Target), and the Aero Aces are good too, if you can find one. If you don't mind spending a little more, the Jetscream rules!
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:24 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
oooh, the Jetscream is on sale right now! GET IT FAST! http://www.target.com/Spin-Master-To...Airhogs&page=1 Or, here is the X-Twin http://www.target.com/Remote-Control...Airhogs&page=1
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:32 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
  1. Air hogs aero ace biplane: slow,durible, easy to fly.
    K-mart,toys R' us,Walmart,target.30$
    http://www.amazon.com/Air-Hogs-AERO-.../dp/B000G1T4ZK

2. mini xpv: easy to fly,long range,powerful,hard to find.
    kmart, toys r us ,wallmart. 30$
    http://www.amazon.com/XPV-Mini-Radio...463712&sr=1-11

3. air hogs jetscream: cool looking,easy to fly,no sticking out props,5min flight times
    kmart,wall-mart,toys r us, target. 40$
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2901097

4. air hogs mono wing: easy to fly smooth flying,long flight times
    kmart,wall-mart,target,toys r us. 30$
    http://www.amazon.com/Aero-Gray-Blac...9463772&sr=1-3

5. ITC razor: good radio,long range.
    toys R' us,kb toys. 40$
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3031755
Ignore all amazon prices.
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Last edited by sonicjet; Dec 16, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 02:13 AM
Seattle Area
Joined Dec 2008
17 Posts
Thanks sonicjet. Looks like most of the ones you list are out of stock online. Will have to go to the store and see what I find. How does the Air Hogs R/C Aero Ace Black 27MHz compare to the other Air Hogs you listed? I have seen these in the store (maybe different colors):

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3123841
Old Dec 17, 2008, 06:28 AM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjct1
Thanks sonicjet. Looks like most of the ones you list are out of stock online. Will have to go to the store and see what I find. How does the Air Hogs R/C Aero Ace Black 27MHz compare to the other Air Hogs you listed? I have seen these in the store (maybe different colors):

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3123841
The aero ace jet is little bit tail-heavy,so out of the box tape a penny to the nose,otherwise they are also good.
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:08 PM
Seattle Area
Joined Dec 2008
17 Posts
How does the Cox P-40 compare to the above?