SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2010, 03:19 AM
Never too much detail
Australia, VIC, Hampton
Joined Jan 2007
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirroau View Post
Thanks guys for your assistance on the build.
Have taken your advice and dropped a 1550 3s with 10x 6 prop into the PX . The main reason was to have the CG correct, the 2200 2s was hard up against the motor which was a little worrying and the CG was still tail heavy with the 2200 2s.
Never flown a Vtail before and had it set up incorrectly the first flight don’t want to report on it “doh”.
Second flight, I think I have tooooo much throw because I am wing tip stalling and all over the place, but once my flying mate had a go he had the PX gliding beautifully but agreed the PX was a little hairy to handle.
So I have cut the throws back on the Vtail and ailerons and waiting for our next test flight. One thing I have done is insert two small 6mm carbon squares into the wing bolt holes to reinforce because the plastic bolts have started to pull through the wings,
Has anyone done modification to stop the wings from moving apart or just using tape as per instructions?.
Will report back next weekend, as usual work gets in the way of flying.
Cheers Paul
Paul,

I taped the wings together and have a small piece of very thin ply between the wing bolt holes to stop pulling the bolts through the wings and hold the wings together.

Stuart
fredo21 is offline Find More Posts by fredo21
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2010, 03:19 PM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
I always use the tape and I had never a problem. it is good to make a first layer of tape on the wings halves, in that way you dont "un glue" the thermo cover :P My english is failing today

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:43 PM
Air Strike Inbound!
sesame street
Joined May 2010
117 Posts
you passer - x boys need to try a 325+ watt setup...

a buddy and I just built one with a full hobby king parts build.

3s 1000 milliamp nanotech
turnigy KD 22-20 1000kv 28mm brushless outrunner
30 amp ESC
9.5 x8 folding prop (clipped 10x8)
two servo ruddervator tail setup
at WOT she pulls just about 29 amps.

thermals great, slopes great, incredible warmliner vertical climb.

doing limited motor run it has very good endurance, she'll climb out nice and fast on 1/3 stick throttle - at full she's a monster.

downside - leading edge of the wing is soft balsa, and crushes easy... but for a cheap chinese kit - it's alot of plane for not much money - well worth the price
also SHE DOESN'T LIKE TO LAND, comes in a foot of the ground and just hangs till you run out of runway might need to try a spoiler mix on a 6 channel radio...

definitely a keeper
Snuffalupagus is offline Find More Posts by Snuffalupagus
Last edited by Snuffalupagus; Sep 18, 2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:15 PM
Never too much detail
Australia, VIC, Hampton
Joined Jan 2007
477 Posts
I use my ailerons as brakes with the maximum up deflection I can get. It pitches up a bit when brakes are deployed, nothing a bit of forward stick doesn't fix. I have brakes on a switch for 1/2 or full brake. Only problem is limited aileron response under brake. But I also have rudder so its not that bad. Helps heaps trying to land where you want.

Stuart
fredo21 is offline Find More Posts by fredo21
Old Sep 19, 2010, 03:48 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
I use the same mix as Fredo Full ALeirons up with elevator compensation. I sue the RUdder for final adjustments, you can also just activate the Spoilerons for shorts period to slow down and take down the plane and keep the aleiron control.

EZ
Old Sep 29, 2010, 03:45 AM
Air Strike Inbound!
sesame street
Joined May 2010
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
I use the same mix as Fredo Full ALeirons up with elevator compensation. I sue the RUdder for final adjustments, you can also just activate the Spoilerons for shorts period to slow down and take down the plane and keep the aleiron control.

EZ
I tried this mix this weekend and it works well -
the soft wing leading edge bit me on the butt this weekend. a leading edge to leading edge midair collision with a 1.3 meter nano floh put a NASTY cut in my left wing. major carnage. I managed to land the plane safely ( unfortunately - the nano went down HARD - wing ripped off with the fuselage nuts ripped out of the fiber glass fuse) even though I managed to straighten her up and fly away from the collision (a credit to the inherent stability of the plane - the collision occurred at about 25 feet above the ground ) it looks like someone exploded a small bomb under the film coat of my passer - it was much worse than it looked from the outside of the film coating. need to do plenty of wood and patch work.
Snuffalupagus is offline Find More Posts by Snuffalupagus
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:14 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
THAT is sad to hear, unfortunatelly the guys on R2Hobbies are not selling spare parts any more :P, I will be building a composite wing for my passer, new tail group and power unit, all in all Pimp my Passer it will be a Passer XL

Regards

EZ
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:44 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
Just an small update, I made a standard tail for my Passe, I just dont like how the Vtail works in thermals, now I have to make lots of measurements to have the decalage corrrect, maiden and pics will come next weekend, when the weather is good. I also reinforced the tips, that were a bit beated up.

I am amazed with this plane, it is still in good shape despite me

EZ
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:47 AM
Lower Blue Mountains, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
346 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm just finalising my setup of a brand new Passer X. Could someone please let me know where their center of gravity is?? Just fiddling with electronics locations but I don't know the balance point.

Thanks!
Dr. |2udie is offline Find More Posts by Dr. |2udie
Old Dec 01, 2010, 02:15 AM
Paul
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Nov 2008
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. |2udie View Post
Hi guys,

I'm just finalising my setup of a brand new Passer X. Could someone please let me know where their center of gravity is?? Just fiddling with electronics locations but I don't know the balance point.

Thanks!
Hope to see some maiden photos ?. I have my CG set at 63mm from the LE but I move the lipo around to suit the wind conditions.
Cheers Paul
spirroau is online now Find More Posts by spirroau
Old Dec 02, 2010, 03:39 PM
Joined Jan 2006
346 Posts
Thanks so much for the info Paul.

Haven't had maiden photos, but here are some install photos. Of course nothings finalised yet, but that's where i'm more or less mounting everything.

I've put the pair of 9g servos (for V tail) under the wing so as to allow for a 2200mah lipo up the front with no need to add additional weight. AR7000 and 25amp Plush esc. Also just the standard Eurgle motor and 11x6 folding prop.
Ready to fly weight is right on 700g.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:46 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
OK looking good, and good luck with the maiden

EZ
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:30 AM
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
Hi Guys and Dolls

Passer x is half price at the moment on R2 hobbies website, need to register to qualify, also half price electric fox and servos.

Regards

Phil
Dofusme is offline Find More Posts by Dofusme
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:08 PM
Joined Jan 2006
346 Posts
Wow that's a bargain. Missed out by a couple of weeks!

Hmmm I'm still undecided about this setup. Not sure if I should use the 2200mah 3s with the servos where they are in the pic above, or use a 850mah 3s and whack the servos in the nose alone with the battery.

I'm thinking that at 700g with the 2200mah it might be a bit heavy? Whereas with the 850mah it can be down to 600g. Any thoughts? Will the Passer still have enough wind penetration at 600g compared to what it would at 700g?

Any thoughts??
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:12 PM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
Till XMAS - 50% off for registered users on r2hobbies !!!!
I ordered the green one + eargule 800kv 59g motor.

Does this kit comes with spinner ? with hub ?
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx