Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 29, 2010, 04:15 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,887 Posts
My Passer X is back to bussines, now conquering the swiss alps , the plane is ready and I had adjusted the trows for F5B, I know I cannot win a competition with it but I hope it will give me the feeling for the turns and I remeber I could do easily the 10 minutes with it finally new links now allow me to make a better "brake" I will see how it goes,

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:43 AM
Is everyone from California?
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
A Passer for F5B? Jeez. Careful with those light wings. I just picked up an Enigma for that. The passer remains my light air thermal ship for when I dont feel like setting up the winch or the high start.
yaitsfast is offline Find More Posts by yaitsfast
Old Jan 29, 2010, 08:58 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,887 Posts
Well I am not going to do F5B with it, it does not have enough power for it, I just want to start practicing the turns, and when I build mine I extra added a carbon fiber tube as wing reinforcement reinforcement (see the buildlog), we will see how it turns

EZ
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:46 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,887 Posts
Spring Update, I quited my intentions of F5B :P I found something that fits my interest better F5J of FXJ, many names, for electric power thermal duration. Coupple of weeks ago I was doing some training, somehting called carrousel, the aim is to fly 1h without landing, but you should always bring the plane close to you in a landing patter, the less motor used the better. On my first tryout with the Passer, (standard equipement) I made a 56minutes fligth with 9 minutes of motor, that gives me some 17 climbs of about 3secs I was very impressed. Again the passer demostrated to be a great plane, it handles very well thermal flying.

MOre flying to come, I will keep you posted

EZ
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:42 AM
Paul
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Nov 2008
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredo21 View Post
Heres mine ready for a fly. I have 2 Power options:
599g AUW with a 2S pack. 64W static draw
645g AUW with a 3S Pack. 174W static draw

30A ESC
10x6 Graupner CAMs folder prop
TGY AerodriveXp SK Series 28-26 1350Kv

Going to initially try the 64W option for a leisurely climbout.

Stuart
Hi Stuart,
I hope this forum is still active, my passer Ėx arrived and I was going to install the 4 servo setup. Motor, 2409-18 tower pro 1000lv/ 180w, donít know about the prop but I have 11x4, 10x6, 8 x 4.
I love your V tail servo set up, is it possible to get any more photos of the servo mount and suggestions on how to build the mount, I would appreciate this greatly, is it screwed or glued onto the fuse?
Happy to receive any advice on the passer from any one.
Regards Paul
spirroau is offline Find More Posts by spirroau
Old Apr 28, 2010, 03:16 AM
Never too much detail
Australia, VIC, Hampton
Joined Jan 2007
443 Posts
Hi Paul,

1.I epoxied two "ice cream stick" rails across the fus. The carbon fibre rail would screw to these.
2. Bolted two servos together by their mounting hole.
3. I glued with epoxy two hardwood blocks to a carbon fibre rail. These would act as mounting blocks for the servos.
4. I also double sided taped the servos to the CF, just for security.

It was a tight fit so lots of dry fitting to get the position of things right.
I have attached a "side view" which may help.

The Passer is still one of my favorite planes. Did some sloping with mine last weekend.

Stuart
fredo21 is online now Find More Posts by fredo21
Last edited by fredo21; Apr 28, 2010 at 03:22 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:03 AM
Paul
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Nov 2008
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredo21 View Post
Hi Paul,

1.I epoxied two "ice cream stick" rails across the fus. The carbon fibre rail would screw to these.
2. Bolted two servos together by their mounting hole.
3. I glued with epoxy two hardwood blocks to a carbon fibre rail. These would act as mounting blocks for the servos.
4. I also double sided taped the servos to the CF, just for security.

It was a tight fit so lots of dry fitting to get the position of things right.
I have attached a "side view" which may help.

The Passer is still one of my favorite planes. Did some sloping with mine last weekend.

Stuart
wow ! what a quick reply, thankyou Stuart, I will start building have all the materials in stock
cheers
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:15 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,887 Posts
Hehehe, that is a cool idea, I installed my servos just behind the motor, kind of protect the batery on hard landings :P I have new bateries and they are a bit toguth to fit but one they come in, they dont move .

I will love to hear your flying experiences with the Passer

EZ
Old May 09, 2010, 02:31 AM
Paul
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Nov 2008
523 Posts
maiden

Hi
Just about ready for the PX maiden
PX weighs in at 665 grams thatís with 4 blue bird servos, 2409 18T 1000kv towerpro http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5499 , 25 amps esc. 2200 2c lipo. 11x6 prop and receiver.
Have flapperon setup, donít know if I will need this until the maiden and any advice would be appreciated, Can post vid and photos if my flying mate attends the maiden in the next week or so.
Thanks Stuart, have set up the sevo mount similar to yours.
Cheers Paul
Old May 09, 2010, 11:44 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,887 Posts
HEy, for thermal flying, some 3 mm down is enough and makes it fly soo smooth. Iam not sure about your batery, I use a 3S 20c 1750 mAh and have 9 minutes of power motor, but with 2S Im not sure if you will have a strong climb. I think that for the 2S setup you need to use a 12x8 porpeller (but I dont have the Motocalc on this computer to be sure)

EZ
Old May 09, 2010, 04:10 PM
Never too much detail
Australia, VIC, Hampton
Joined Jan 2007
443 Posts
Mine is 612g AUW with a 1050 Rino 3S Pack. about 170W static draw.

30A ESC
10x6 Graupner CAMs folder prop
TGY AerodriveXp SK Series 28-26 1350Kv

Initially I planned to use a 2200 2S but wasn't impressed with the wattage provided on static tests. I used a 1750 3S for a while, which worked well however I had to put some weight on the tail to balance. I replaced it with a 1050 3S to get rid of the balance weight. I only do 5-8 Sec climbs then glide, it goes near vertical. Under power it pitches up so I mixed in a slight bit of down elevator with the throttle.

Re ailerons - I have them set for full deflection, as far as they can move. I also use spoilerons at 20 and 40 deg. I have limited aileron control with 40 deg spoilers. It pitches up a bit when I deploy the spoilers. Here is a video of a recent passer-x slope flight. The camera is mounted on top of the wing in the centre angled at about 45 degress to the front. The roll rate is not that high, and the decent rate under brakes is ok.
Ignore the video time stamp.

Kilcunda sloping (1 min 37 sec)

Stuart
fredo21 is online now Find More Posts by fredo21
Old May 10, 2010, 01:00 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,887 Posts
HEy Stuart Nice video, next time let the "nose" of the plane to be seen gives a better effect.

With the standar setup I can climb 150m in 30 sec then 10 minutes of glide , to brake I use the spoilerons down, with mix to elevator down to compensate, usually I dont need the brakes the plane handels very well on slow speed and I manage to land it on 3 meters ratio.

EZ
Old May 13, 2010, 06:54 PM
Paul
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Nov 2008
523 Posts
Thanks for the info, this all helps to have a good maiden,
Will let you know the results,
Cheers Paul
Old May 14, 2010, 01:51 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,887 Posts
Hey Paul Good luck with the maiden, just be carefull with the 2c bateries, that is a significant low discharge rate.

regards

EZ
Old May 15, 2010, 07:11 PM
Paul
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Nov 2008
523 Posts
Thanks guys for your assistance on the build.
Have taken your advice and dropped a 1550 3s with 10x 6 prop into the PX . The main reason was to have the CG correct, the 2200 2s was hard up against the motor which was a little worrying and the CG was still tail heavy with the 2200 2s.
Never flown a Vtail before and had it set up incorrectly the first flight donít want to report on it ďdohĒ.
Second flight, I think I have tooooo much throw because I am wing tip stalling and all over the place, but once my flying mate had a go he had the PX gliding beautifully but agreed the PX was a little hairy to handle.
So I have cut the throws back on the Vtail and ailerons and waiting for our next test flight. One thing I have done is insert two small 6mm carbon squares into the wing bolt holes to reinforce because the plastic bolts have started to pull through the wings,
Has anyone done modification to stop the wings from moving apart or just using tape as per instructions?.
Will report back next weekend, as usual work gets in the way of flying.
Cheers Paul