HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:49 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,173 Posts
finally finished up this Passer-X build. Got bogged down with GPS problems and had to rewire the FPV system around a different OSD (Suppo Pigeon v2.0).

Hey, the camera grew a tail! Taped the wings together and made a tape hinge for the canopy.

Hope it is dryish tomorrow for a couple glide tests and maiden!

BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:16 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
458 Posts
Looks Great :-)
I'll be interested to hear of your flight performance and associated stats: weight, flight time, speed on the GPS of the OSD etc. PS - camera tail looks excellent
pheonix3 is online now Find More Posts by pheonix3
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:16 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,173 Posts
AUW without battery is 750g. I am using the HK 1300 30c 3S batteries at about 123g. total AUW is 873g. Might be a bit faster at that weight. still needs a few grams in the tail to balance at 66mm, but pretty close now. Wing loading will be approx 10.0 oz/sf

I am a bit unsure about the prop and motor match. Might be a bit too much prop for this motor.

camera tail is the tail from some plastic wheel pants I had lying around

I have ordered Last One Down Variometer which will run through the FPV audio channel to my goggles.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:37 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
714 Posts
Sleeve Passer Fuse?

Has anyone "sleeved" a Passer fuselage yet?
I had a little crash needing repair in 3 places on the front end and was thinking; why don't I just sleeve it for extra strength/the next crash...?

-8th
8thelephant is offline Find More Posts by 8thelephant
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:10 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
6,926 Posts
8th - I have sleeved a glider before and it does add a ton of strength at the cost of weight. I did both a full body sleeve and a nose only sleeve. The full body sleeve could have been used as a billy club

For the PX, I would suggest using a single layer of carbon weave. It is 1000x easier to cut, takes less epoxy and it is easier to put on the plane and overall much thinner.

Here is a link to an ad where a member was selling a nice piece of carbon weave...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=samurai

You may have to PM him to see if he still has some in stock.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
If one is really concerned with weight and wants just a little something to smooth over cracks there's a product that I use a lot. It's called Skyloft. It's lighter than any glass cloth, works with just about any glue or paint, and it's quite strong. It's also pretty darn cheap.

There's an old axiom: one can build a plane to fly or one can build a plane to crash. The lighter you keep it, within reason, the less likely you are to crash.

http://www.dbproducts.com/store/skyl.htm
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
714 Posts
JimNM & peterlngh:
Great suggestions!
I've seen a few sleeved Speedo 1.2 out there, done with good results, but it's a pretty uniform skinny fuse. Looks like I'd have to combine a few diameters to get full coverage on the Passer. Soller Composites seems to have a selection of sleeves/materials (http://sollercomposites.com/light-sleeves-sock.html) but I'm not sure if going with Carbon or Glass is the better choice for my 2.4ghz gear. The 1K Carbon looks really good, but I've not wrapped a mold in fabric for a very long time so perhaps the sleeve would be easier?

A little weight shouldn't be an issue since my Passer Thermo seems to float too much at my local slope. Been looking at light ballast options for this.

Skyloft looks interesting. Haven't touched dope in years either. But I'd give it a try if it's cleaner/easier than other methods

Thanks so much for the input
-8th
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
I haven't actually used dope myself, 8th. I have applied it with thin epoxy, CA, and water based urethane on foam. I have used straight epoxy and talcum powder, with either epoxy or CA, to fill the weave but any sandable primer works well. One of the nice things about Skyloft is that it's so thin one can use a number of pieces and the joints can be sanded smooth.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,173 Posts
This is too funny.

I decided to do the testing and maiden at a massive soccer complex for the soft grass area. What I did not account for fully was the many, many 100 ft tall light standards.

The toss test went great. Plane was perfectly trimmed. Launched her and took her up. Wanted to stay low because there is a lot of floatplane activity there and a heli went right over before I launched her.

Plane flew so swift and graciously. The launch was breathtakinging vertical and fast! Banked her around the end of the field to come back. But my skill at spotting the relative distance between a plane and a 100 ft pole at 300 yards out wasn't what it should be. I had the goggles ready but was not flying FPV yet, was going to do a circuit or two first by line of sight.

Well the worst thing happened - the left wing clipped the pole at about 90 ft up. keerayst! dropped to the ground in a hail of balsawood.

Now I have 2 gliders in the hospital. One with a crunched left wing. Everything else is OK (the tail feathers popped off fully intact and the motor is unharmed). The other plane (HK foam glider) with a crunched front fuselage. You know what that means? In medicine we call it an 'Allograft.' Seems the Passer-X will be getting Phoenix foam wings. It will add a few inches to the WS but unfortunately the wings are thicker and 120grams heavier. Might order another Passer-X just to obtain a new wing for the least effort.

In retrospect I should have put the goggles on right away. The depth perception of a line of sight flyer is severely impaired compared to the view from the FPV cam - I would have avoided the pole for sure if I had put the goggles on. I do have video from the FPV system but the video ends about 10 seconds before the crash.

the proposed grafting mockup:

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Nov 14, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:50 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2009
458 Posts
That's a real shame :-(
hang in there for the re-build.
pheonix3 is online now Find More Posts by pheonix3
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:23 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,173 Posts
hehe, just ordered 2 more complete Passer-Xs! lots of spares now.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:56 AM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,225 Posts
old thread but anywho
i just ordered one!!! yay!!!!

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
Welcome to the club, meanbaby.

If you or anyone else is still in the market for a really powerful budget motor, and want a screaming rate of climb, I would suggest a HobbyKing 2834 1250kv. I have two and love them. Mine weigh 66 grams with 3.5mm bullet connectors and turn a 10X6 folding prop at over 10,000 RPM. An 11X6 might overheat the motor but careful static testing would tell you one way or another. With an 11X4.7 slo-fly the 2834 will hover my 850 gram Yak 54 at around 1/3 throttle though it does heat up at full throttle. An 11X4 should work for the 10 seconds or less you would need to get to altitude though I have not tried one, yet, myself. There are few motors that can match its power to weight at any price and at @ 17 bucks it's nearly impossible to beat. Here's a link to the product page

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=17600

I also started a thread on the Specter 1800 from HK which is their clone of the Passer-X. There are some differences, mostly a slightly heavier airframe for the Specter, but they are close enough that they can be treated as the same in most respects. Feel free to ask, on either thread, if you run into questions that haven't been answered.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688351

Cheers!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:39 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
714 Posts
V-Tail Clamp for Passer, Passer X & Other Top Mount V-Tails

OK, I've finally done it!
V-Tail Clamps are now available for the Passer & Passer X with a tutorial and PDF instructions. I've installed this on both my Passer and Passer X kits and they've performed flawlessly through many flights thus far :-)

I had a handfull of these made and am selling them with and without hardware for $9.00+sh and $7.50+sh respectively. The hardware includes 2 plastic bolts and your choice of plastic or metal nuts. I'll do my best to make shipping as painless as possible, so please PM me if interested.

Here's the tutorial post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post24192092

Here's the FS post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post24192238
Old May 13, 2013, 01:05 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2009
53 Posts
lazer cut components

Decided to try something a bit different...
partly to try out the cut to order website https://www.ponoko.com/
and partly to brush up on my cad skills.

its nice to have everything fit together perfectly, rather than look its been chewed by a rat, like most of my installs do.

took about a week and $30 to cut. Im sure if i wanted i could have had about twich as much cut for the same money

this is all out of 1.6mm beach ply- which is about perfect.
jason128 is offline Find More Posts by jason128