Ok, here the pics I promised... Better late than never yeah? lol
LooseSox is offline Find More Posts by LooseSox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:03 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,347 Posts
Third maiden was a success. The esc can't be programmed without a card, so the prop did not fold. I am quite happy with the climb and the handicapped glide. When I get the parts sorted out, this is gong to be a great little glider.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Glad you're back on track, Jim. What kind of ESC are you using? I would be a little upset if I needed a card to set the brake.

I had some amazing flights with the Specter today. My final flight was especially fun because I shared a thermal with 2 vultures for most of the 25+ minutes I was in the air. I must admit that it makes it easier when one can follow a bird into lift but I'm afraid the poor creatures couldn't stay with the Specter! (To be fair, I don't know that they were trying to stay with it but I was a lot higher than they were when I decided to bail out of the thermal.)
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:07 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,347 Posts
I threw in an old Apollo 35 that came with an Ultra Fly P51. That esc has dual bec circuits, so I am not worried about using the amp hog HK 9 gram servos - and it fit the fuse and I had it in the spare parts pile. The $9.00 that I spent on Ebay will be forgotten as soon as I get the Passer X in flight ready status. I had to kludge a folder yoke - it works, but not good looking. I will order a new spinner next month.

Nicely done with your flight with the birds! That is almost too cool to explain to non-glider people, but darn near a religious experience for me You out climbed the birds - that is a goal for me to reach for

We had a good day at the field, even though I just put one short hop on the PX - the DLG crew were running amok and I had the best day yet for me and DLG. I had 3 flights over 6 minutes and the last was a 12 minute flight that I ended early due my standing lunch date with my wife. The air was gentle but forgiving.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
It's never a bad idea to stick with equipment that has already been tested. After my long layoff I was compelled to go with all new stuff and it's caused me a couple headaches. That being said, I'm very happy with all of it. even the cheap stuff from HobbyKing has worked out so far (Much knocking on wood!). Now that I've learned more about the new technology I figure I can make informed choices on upgrades should any of the components prove short-lived but I can't fault the performance.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:28 PM
Fixed wing fanatic
United States, OR, Hermiston
Joined Apr 2011
183 Posts
So I finally got a folding prop on my P-X. I was flying it today and was really just disappointed at the glide performance. I kept thinking that you guys all led me astray in buying this thing. Then I started to think as I was struggling to find lift enough to keep it in the air... So in the middle of my second battery I brought it down and taped a dime to the tail. There was a DRAMATIC improvement in glide ability. I guess CG is important. I thought I was around 70mm behind the leading edge, but I must have measured or converted wrong.

I am new to gliders, but not to flying. That small of an adjustment made a huge difference. I went from an 18 minute flight on the first battery to a 25 minute flight on the second one with only 4 mins of motor run time each flight.

I am still frustrated with my folding prop situation. I am now running an APC 10x6 folder on an E Flite 4mm collet (no spinner) with heat shrink around the shaft so that the prop hub fits snug on the shaft. Is there anywhere other than espritmodel.com that I can get a 30-32mm spinner and folding prop for a 4mm motor shaft?
neddis is offline Find More Posts by neddis
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Hi, neddis.

You might be able to find one at HobbyKing though I haven't checked their stock lately. I have found that the spinners I've tried from them use interchangeable collets. I also managed a decent job of drilling one to fit by screwing it into a block of wood and using a drill press. I used the back plate "glued" on with a couple drops of Loctite to keep the prongs from spreading.

Another option might be Hobby Lobby. Again, I haven't checked in a while but they seem to have a fair selection and restock often.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:10 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddis View Post
am still frustrated with my folding prop situation. I am now running an APC 10x6 folder on an E Flite 4mm collet (no spinner) with heat shrink around the shaft so that the prop hub fits snug on the shaft. Is there anywhere other than espritmodel.com that I can get a 30-32mm spinner and folding prop for a 4mm motor shaft?
Hobby King has some 32mm's but they frequently don't provide all the pertinent dimensions (blade hub width, blade hinge pin dia, etc) so it's kind of a crap shoot what you are going to get. Air Craft has a pretty good selection here. Another source is Hyper Flight in the UK as seen here, but they are kind of expensive by the time you ship them. Nice spinners though. You can also try RCDude here. They have spinners for both APC and the Graupner/Aeronaut types of folders.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:26 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,347 Posts
http://www.aircraft-world.com/

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...nners+-+MP+JET

Ships from Japan for a few bucks. Dave is a great guy.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
One thing I have found with the HK spinners is that the ones with a screw tapped into the yoke are for a 6mm shoulder. Like this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...m_Adapter.html

The spinners with the elastic stop nuts have a 8mm yoke. Like this one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0mm_shaft.html

I realize that they aren't exact fits but serve as examples. I'm using the spinner, with an 8mm yoke, that came with a 10X6 prop but they seem to be out of stock at the moment.

Speaking of CG. High performance airfoils can be very sensitive to CG although I've found the Specter (HK's knockoff of the Passer-X) doesn't seem very sensitive. It is better at around 70mm than it is around 65mm. Another thing to keep in mind is to make sure the prop is folded back when you check the CG. If you are just using your fingers; here's a pic of a simple balancer that one can make with a couple pencils and a block of foam or wood. I just sand the erasers down to a wedge.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:57 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,166 Posts
Quote:

I am still frustrated with my folding prop situation. I am now running an APC 10x6 folder on an E Flite 4mm collet (no spinner) with heat shrink around the shaft so that the prop hub fits snug on the shaft. Is there anywhere other than espritmodel.com that I can get a 30-32mm spinner and folding prop for a 4mm motor shaft?
I've spent hours researching this one. Only places I found were RADICAL RC and the one above (aircraftworld). See http://www.radicalrc.com/search/spin.../searchCat/289
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:13 PM
Brazil
Joined Jan 2007
35 Posts
Passer Glider Slope Soaring in Pirapora, BR, 23-07-2011 (3 min 37 sec)

This is one video of my old Passer on slope !

Nice bird !
Leandro_Foltran is offline Find More Posts by Leandro_Foltran
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:56 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,347 Posts
OK, I can tell you guys that I have successfully flown, thermaled and landed the PX. I have some more work to do - but I am impressed.

Right now I am a little nose heavy (repairs will do that to you ) and I need to get a proper folding spinner. The mosquitoes and biting flies convinced me to end the day early so I can sleep for my night shift tonight. The PX ensured that I will be dreaming about flying.

The flat-flat-flat wing is not super thermal friendly, and the thin profile is a little hard to keep oriented. I will add some broad stripes of white to the underside of the wing before I go out again. The added dihedral idea is looking better to me - as it would also keep the wing tips a little further from the ground on landing. I will have to fly this one at a groomed field until then.

Gotta go - still grinning!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Good news, Jim. You can find pictures of what I added for contrast here. I especially like the fact that the yellow bits on the ailerons show up when I pop the spoilerons and the blaze orange (Rustoleum Fluorescent Orange over flat white primer) shows up about as far as I can see it at all.

Keeping in mind that there are some subtle differences between the Passer-X and my Specter; I would suggest feeling it out a bit more before adding dihedral. Now that I have it all trimmed, and it's especially sensitive to lateral balance, I find it makes wonderful flat turns. I just establish the bank I want and pull a tiny bit of back stick and it will hold a turn all day with just an occasional touch of rudder.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1688351&page=3
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:01 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,347 Posts
Thanks for sharing you experience Pete - it all helps. You are right, I do have some more work to do before I make any radical changes.

Fly well, amigos