HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:15 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
6,926 Posts
Got the missing parts in today. Had a little free time and what do you know....? The passer its almost done.

I made a few small errors like punching all the way through the wing top when mounting the servos. Good thing I saved the covering flaps that were cut out from the bottom side of the servo pockets. I flowed some CA along the doubler inside the servo pocket as the first one popped free as I drilled the pilot holes.

I made a U shaped wire to hold the motor leads away from the motor can.

I made a balsa doubler to span the wing bolt . I often use too much grunt on those and I did not want to break the top sheeting on the wing.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Last edited by JimNM; Jul 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:31 PM
Prog Rocker
Down South
Joined Jul 2009
327 Posts
Maidened mine today, flies great!
Camelboy is offline Find More Posts by Camelboy
Last edited by Camelboy; Jul 14, 2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: text
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:51 PM
Fixed wing fanatic
United States, OR, Hermiston
Joined Apr 2011
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratous View Post
I'm running hitec. I've got the motor in the nose (obviously, lol) followed by the rx and esc side by side, then the battery, then the servos under the wing saddle. I took the antenna down past the battery and hot glued the boda part ontop of one of the servos. Been working fine for me so far.
Awesome. I think I am going to go this route. Thanks man!
neddis is offline Find More Posts by neddis
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
I deflowered my HK Specter 1800 which, as you may know, is their version of the Passer X. Mine turned out quite a bit heavier than I wanted but it still has an excellent glide. My bare airframe weighed almost as much as HobbyKing's claim for a AUW but I could save a few ounces in the power train if it seems to suffer. However, I am very impressed with the glide even at almost 800 grams.

My first test glide nearly ended as a lawn dart. After about 5 clicks of up trim I needed the spoilerons to keep it in the field on the second test glide. About 10 seconds at 70 degrees got me as high as I wanted in the twilight and I could make multiple circuits of the field even with no lift. It rolls cleanly with almost no altitude loss.

My setup is:

HK KDA 22-20L
HK 9.5X8 prop with 32mm spinner.
11.1v 20C 1300mah lipo
HK "Blue Series" 4A ESC
Turnigy/FlySky micro 6 channel RX
4X HXT 900 servos
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:46 AM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
498 Posts
Well done, Peter! Any idea why it was heavy? That said, 800g is not all that bad. Most turn out 700g or less. Nothing in your set-up looks heavy. Glad it's worked out for you. Welcome to the X Club!
Straight Up is offline Find More Posts by Straight Up
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
Thanks, Straight Up.

I think I got a heavy airframe. I could save about 30 grams with a lighter motor and go with a somewhat smaller battery but those are the only places where I might have gone a little lighter. I'm also going to lose a few grams when I replace the long, plugged, servo extensions with soldered ones. I think I'll probably end up replacing the stock push rods as well.

I'll be chronicling future flights here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688351
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:29 AM
Prog Rocker
Down South
Joined Jul 2009
327 Posts
I managed to get my PX AUW @ 628 grams.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
6,926 Posts
I was ready to button her up and go to the field, when I decided to do a little more bench testing on the servos and get the throws closer to trimmed. Boy, I'm glad I did. I had chosen a no-name 25 amp esc because it fit nicely, had long motor leads and the right sized bullet connectors. After 60 seconds of motor running, btw - it will hover at about 60% throttle - I was working on the epa and expo when the right aileron started to go to full up deflection every time I bumped the end of the elevator throw... hmm that would be a wreck had it been in the air. I forced myself to switch esc - less than 20 minutes including soldering bullets , to a 35 amp with a dual bec. that ought to work, even with the HK 9 gram servos.

Maiden asap (like tomorrow if I'm lucky)
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
A lot of people have lighter Passers, Camelboy. Of course, mine is the HobbyKing Specter. I might have just been unlucky and gotten a heavy one or maybe the manufacturer is sending "seconds" to HK. It's also possible that the two are not identical and the HK version is just heavier. In any event I didn't do anything that would add weight to the airframe and I don't see how one could get anywhere near the 680 gram AUW claimed by HobbyKing without going with smaller servos and a much less powerful motor using a 2 cell battery.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:56 PM
Prog Rocker
Down South
Joined Jul 2009
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
A lot of people have lighter Passers, Camelboy. Of course, mine is the HobbyKing Specter. I might have just been unlucky and gotten a heavy one or maybe the manufacturer is sending "seconds" to HK. It's also possible that the two are not identical and the HK version is just heavier. In any event I didn't do anything that would add weight to the airframe and I don't see how one could get anywhere near the 680 gram AUW claimed by HobbyKing without going with smaller servos and a much less powerful motor using a 2 cell battery.

Yeah, maybe I just got a little lucky. However, I used only three servos, the 1300mah thunder power prolite battery, 22t/930 torque motor which weighs 2.1 oz,
9x6 carbon aero-haut prop, and a carbon rod for the tail. Enough power for me, climbs pretty quick.
Last edited by Camelboy; Jul 15, 2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: text
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
I think I would have to gnaw off my left thumb to fly without positive yaw control, LOL.

I could save an ounce or so on the motor and can save a few grams by replacing the pushrods but, since the bare airframe was just under 600grams, there's only so much I could do. If it proves to be completely hopeless at thermaling I might try to "fix" it but based on my one test flight so far I really think it will be fine. In the mean time I'll enjoy having a glider that gets to altitude in about 10 seconds!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:06 PM
Old Bold Pilot
USA, MI, Rochester
Joined Nov 2008
568 Posts
Looking for Ideas for new Exit Cooling Holes

Am looking for ideas for new exit air cooling holes. When I repaired a broken fuselage, the fix plugged the exit hole at the back. So no cooling air is comming out the back.
I am considering putting a hole in the back top of the canopy (won;t weaken the fus). Also considering putting a hole in the flat spot on top of the fus just behind the wing (might not make the fuse weaker).
Any comments or ideas are welcome.
Thanks,
Dave F
>< *>
got-one is offline Find More Posts by got-one
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
Cooling and such.

Hi, got-one.

I just drilled a 3/8 inch exit hole in the bottom about mid cord and enlarged it a bit with the dremel. I also added some small scoops made from plastic spoons to the cooling holes. The ESC gets stuck to the canopy with Velcro which gets it away from the battery and adds a little extra friction to the fit of said canopy.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:14 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I note that the HK Specter does have some visible differences that may account for the slightly greater weight. The most obvious is the tail structure which is built up on the PX but is solid with holes on the Specter. There may be other less obvious changes. HK probably just wanted to be sufficiently different to give it another identity. I suspect that the difference in weight wont make much difference in performance. Also HK has been known to fudge a little on other weights like their LiPo's.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
Quote:
I note that the HK Specter does have some visible differences
That's kinda my guess too but I think the most likely is that they are assuming a 50g motor and leaving the battery out of their "flying weight". I also noted that the fiberglass is surprisingly thick and, while I haven't seen one close up, I think the Passer looks a little thinner. They might also use a cheaper, heavier, covering film. At least I didn't have to add any weight to get it to balance. I even moved the RX behind the servos so it's almost to the back of the wing saddle. If I went to a lighter power train I might end up needing ballast and end up at the same weight.

Plus, if test glides prove anything, I won't be disappointed in its performance in lift. After 40 years and forgetting more gliders than many will ever fly I don't think I've ever had a plane fly farther on a hand launch. A good airfoil and a clean design go a long way towards making up for a couple ounces in weight.