HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:55 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,865 Posts
32 or 35mm spinner to stay even with the fuse?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:00 AM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,358 Posts
Mine measured 32mm - YMMV
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:41 AM
Joined Sep 2007
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Hi Stgds,

If you Passer-X happened to be red, get the Multiplex Merlin spinner which fix perfectly and look good .

Regards,
Edwin.k
edwin3162 is offline Find More Posts by edwin3162
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Let me measure... 31.7 mm (32) from HobbyKing, with a 2-3 mm gap between spinner and firewall for motor cooling.

Gambler
RCGambler is offline Find More Posts by RCGambler
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:44 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
765 Posts
Passer V-Tail Clamp is uploaded :)

For those of you asking about the V-Tail clamp I designed for the Passer, here it is: http://www.shapeways.com/model/42324...tml?gid=sg5095

Made a little manual for it too.
8thelephant is offline Find More Posts by 8thelephant
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:32 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Thanks 8th, really nice diagram and instructions. I'm curious which method you have used so far and if you went with option #1 how did you put a bevel into the blind nut?

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:47 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Thanks 8th, really nice diagram and instructions. I'm curious which method you have used so far and if you went with option #1 how did you put a bevel into the blind nut?

-Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan, I went with Option #1 since I'm a freak when it comes to clean lines and uninterrupted forms.

I tried many ways of putting the notch/bevel in the nuts and finally ended up getting a 3mm metal bolt long enough to clamp in my vice with 2 nuts on the end. The bolt is basically sacrificial since you're going to cut into it's end a bit.

The 1st nut is just there to keep the last one from spinning and they're clamped in the vice flush to the 1st nut. 3 slices were made with a Dremel tool & metal cutting disc; 1st down the center to the depth I want for the tip of the triangle, then the 2nd & 3rd just meet the 1st cut from either side.

I didn't give any exact dimensions for the notch as it seems each molded fuselage is a little different, so you'll probably cut/sand a bit and then trial fit the nuts. About 1/2 the depth of the nuts had to be sanded down to match the angle in my fuse.

It takes a little practice to get the cuts as you want them freehanded, so buy a bunch of nuts to experiment with. The Result is really worth it for me since the bond to the fuselage is really solid. Even for Option #2, I'd probably round out the top of the nut to engage the fuse better as I've had a few of those "glued by the factory" come off on gentle landings.

Oh, wait a while to touch the nuts & bolt after cutting/sanding as they get really hot after a few min with the Dremel.

Cheers,
-8th
8thelephant is offline Find More Posts by 8thelephant
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:59 PM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGambler View Post
Mike,

I found the Passer to be VERY sensitive to yaw, and this is why I finally had to dial down the expo on the rudder to 35% and this is still too much.

Gambler
Congrats on your successful maiden. I also agree the diherdral is spot-on. Just be aware that "expo" is a setting used to reduce sensitivity around the control centre, and is INCREASED (either in the positive or negative scale depending on the radio - Futaba's default is negative) to reduce sensitivity, but you retain full deflection at full stick movement. It sounds to me like you've reduced the dual rate or possibly the travel volume to 35%. If your rudder is too sensitive you wouldn't reduce the expo.

My Passer also goes vertical with strong throttle. I mix throttle-to-elevator to avoid looping it when I slam on the power. Might be worth a shot?
Straight Up is offline Find More Posts by Straight Up
Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Mar 2010
19 Posts
Hi to all,
I've been very close to order the Passer, but have found the posts, in this thread, about R2hobbies' 40% discount in April. Does anybody know, is it an annual event?
Vit* is offline Find More Posts by Vit*
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:05 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,865 Posts
Not sure but I have all the gear and I am waiting for it.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:14 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Just hope they don't have some wry sense of humor and are playing the April fools card. That said April is 2 months away. It's not that expensive so why not get it now? Well if you have plenty of planes then maybe it's worth the wait, but it sounds like you are already collecting the gear for it...

Alternatively to R2 you can pick one up through Aloft Hobbies who distributes for R2 here in the states. You will get it quicker and with added top notch customer service. A bit of a plug I know, but Wayne over at AH is a swell guy and I guarantee you he will take awesome care of you making sure you are satisfied.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:27 AM
Joined Mar 2010
19 Posts
I spent a lot of time, trying to find 32mm spinner, which fits to 3mm KDA shaft and Aeronaut's 8mm blades base, but HyperSpinner looks like the only option
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:02 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,450 Posts
Reisenauer is an alternative (it's all I use now...)
http://www.reisenauer.de/artikeldetails.php5?aid=974
http://www.reisenauer.de/artikeldetails.php5?aid=953
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:53 AM
Joined Mar 2010
19 Posts
Thanks a lot, WimH, for this information!

Do you know, is it possible to use 32mm hub (32/8) with this spinner and Aeronaut 8mm blades?
I guess, in this case, folded prop will produce less drag.

And there are several more things I’d like to ask you to make clear –

- how thick is the hub?

- what’s the blade’s pin diameter?

- as far as I figured out, firstly, spinner has to be screwed to the hub with installed blades, and after that, all this set secures to the shaft by the grub (or two). Is it correct?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:35 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit* View Post
Thanks a lot, WimH, for this information!

Do you know, is it possible to use 32mm hub (32/8) with this spinner and Aeronaut 8mm blades?
I guess, in this case, folded prop will produce less drag.

And there are several more things I’d like to ask you to make clear –

- how thick is the hub?

- what’s the blade’s pin diameter?

- as far as I figured out, firstly, spinner has to be screwed to the hub with installed blades, and after that, all this set secures to the shaft by the grub (or two). Is it correct?
The Aeronaut blades fit for sure, but I think the 35 mm hub or even a bit bigger may make the blades fold flatter.Blade pins/screws are 3mm, required to fit Aeronaut holes. Not sur what you mean by thick, but I would not know, 8 to 12 mm I guess.

Yes, spinner screws to hub. But I use the "clamp" style as in the link. You can get the two grubscrew style as well (but only in smaller sizes, up to 32 mm), but I would NEVER use grubscrews.Blades WILL fold flatter with the Hyperspinner due to the offset, but it has grubscrews, yuk....
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...