HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:41 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
yeap the plane is definitely light, but the wingtips are stronger that they look, it took me a couple of wing tip landings to crack them good luck with the build

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:28 AM
iSlope
Slovenia
Joined Mar 2008
250 Posts
Here are some nice pictures from yesterdays slope soaring with Passer. The model flies very good and can perform basic acrobatics. Flies inverted very good but I was afraid to push it to the limits.

Pisaneli is offline Find More Posts by Pisaneli
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:03 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
nice slope, did you need to use the motor there??

EZ
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:17 AM
iSlope
Slovenia
Joined Mar 2008
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
nice slope, did you need to use the motor there??

EZ
Thanks EZ.

Unfortunately I had to use the motor becuase the wind was blowing along the slope. The wind forecast was for the wind blowing straight on the slope. We did get some lift on the right side of the slope and there were some mild thermals.
The Passer flies slow enough to easily land on the slope.

Gorazd
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:37 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Cool, I am thinking to convert my Passer X to slope :P we will see what comes

EZ
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:47 AM
Joined Dec 2010
99 Posts
I finished building my Pass-X.
He got 670g and did not need ballast to adjust the CG (6.2 mm behind the leading edge).

I tested the setup with a Wattmeter and got the following results:
12A x 7.2V = 86.4 W
The battery used is a 2S and was in storage mode (7.7 V).
It exceeded my expectation, waiting for 70W of power with this configuration.

Detail: My ailerons are not covered with adhesive carbon fiber equal to the Pisaneli, I only got notice now hehehe

Here are photos of my Passer:

serginho_la is offline Find More Posts by serginho_la
Old Feb 17, 2011, 02:47 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Nice looking plane, you are ready to go dont forget to send pics of the maiden

EZ
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:29 AM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serginho_la View Post
I finished building my Pass-X.
He got 670g and did not need ballast to adjust the CG (6.2 mm behind the leading edge).

I tested the setup with a Wattmeter and got the following results:
12A x 7.2V = 86.4 W
The battery used is a 2S and was in storage mode (7.7 V).
It exceeded my expectation, waiting for 70W of power with this configuration.

Detail: My ailerons are not covered with adhesive carbon fiber equal to the Pisaneli, I only got notice now hehehe
Good luck with the maiden. If you develop a taste for more power, try something along the following lines:
30A ESC
1000mAh 3S 30C Lipo
1000Kv ~100g motor
11x8 folding prop

Cost will be very modest if you get it from Hobby King. This will be good for 250 - 300W, giving you fast + vertical climbs. I'm not called "Straight Up" for nothing!

If you want me to be more specific, please advise.

Anyhow, enjoy the plane as is for now.

Cheers, SU
Straight Up is offline Find More Posts by Straight Up
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:42 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
I will be interested in some Straight up set ups for My Passer, what do you recommend from HK??

EZ
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:38 PM
Joined Dec 2010
99 Posts
I've ordered a 40A ESC to test a battery with 3S, but my goal is thermal flight.

I'm a little afraid, I tested with a 25A ESC and a 3S 1300mAh battery Hyperion, I was accelerating slowly with a Wattmeter and suddenly there was a sound of braking (like those of hotliner +3000W).
The propeller stopped and the wattmeter indicated 560W and around 50A.
I believe that the ESC has lost the time of the engine and went crazy, but everything is still working.
serginho_la is offline Find More Posts by serginho_la
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:44 PM
Lower Blue Mountains, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
339 Posts
Small update on my Passer:

I had some great flights with my previous setup (see earlier in thread) with a 2200mah 3s lipo. Flight times were more than enough with climb and glide, but it was usually wasted - coming down with something like 60-70% capacity left. Glide performance was good, but not great. Sooo... I've made a couple of changes:

Moved the servos from the mid location to the nose. Replaced the pushrods with 3mm carbon rods (saved quite a bit of weight, and much more rugged now). And most importantly, swapped the 2200mah 3s pack for a 900mah 3s pack.

Old ready to fly weight was 700g. New ready to fly is 590g I'll post back with a new flight report.
Dr. |2udie is offline Find More Posts by Dr. |2udie
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:30 AM
iSlope
Slovenia
Joined Mar 2008
250 Posts
Quote:
I will be interested in some Straight up set ups for My Passer, what do you recommend from HK??

EZ
If you're looking for a rocket then this is the motor for you, for this you will need the 40A esc:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisaneli View Post
Mine is coming in the coming week. I hope. Due to holiday season it will be crowdy at the post office so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
This is the motor I am thinking of buying, Turnigy2836 Brushless Outrunner 1000kv It is heavier for around 30g compared to KDA but much more powerfull. I am using it in my allrounder Mibo Dart. The Dart weights 1kg and goes almost vertical with full power on 11x6.
I had to change my H-King 35 esc because I was having trouble with the brake. When I stopped the motor it needed around 3sec to stop it.
I put the good old Turnigy Sentry 25A in.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:37 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Thanks pinaseli, hey Dr. Yellow rulez, be careful flying at distance it can easily disappear :P

EZ
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:38 AM
Vertical Unlimited
Joined Mar 2007
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serginho_la View Post
I'm a little afraid, I tested with a 25A ESC and a 3S 1300mAh battery Hyperion, I was accelerating slowly with a Wattmeter and suddenly there was a sound of braking (like those of hotliner +3000W).
The propeller stopped and the wattmeter indicated 560W and around 50A.
I believe that the ESC has lost the time of the engine and went crazy, but everything is still working.
I have seen this before. Advance your ESC's timing to "high" or "max" and everything should be OK.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:41 AM
Vertical Unlimited
Joined Mar 2007
533 Posts
Quote:

EZ
I use a KD A22-20L motor with Turnigy Plush 30A ESC, 1050mAh 3S 30C Lipo, and 11x8 folding prop. Input power is 250-300W and the climb is plumb vertical and SOLID. Total motor run time is about 2 minutes, but a climb to 500 feet only takes about 15 seconds, so I get lots of climbs per charge. Best flight is 1 hour, 6 mins, and that could have gone much longer - I just got tired! I occasionally do gentle aerobatics but prefer to thermal this bird.