Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:05 PM
South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
67 Posts
Help!
Tail way to sensitive-Phoenix Sim

On all the helis, the tailrotor is waaaay to sensitive in rate mode, if one now turn the piro rate down the tailrotor becomes sluggish and slow in HH mode. I have tried everything, from tail stability to tail area to tailrotor speed, nothing appears to work. The relationship between rate and HH mode sucks, not at all realistic, this means that you have to edit the model everytime you switch from rate to HH mode
Vinger is offline Find More Posts by Vinger
Last edited by Vinger; Feb 22, 2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: additions
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:07 AM
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger
On all the helis, the tailrotor is waaaay to sensitive in rate mode, if one now turn the piro rate down the tailrotor becomes sluggish and slow in HH mode. I have tried everything, from tail stability to tail area to tailrotor speed, nothing appears to work. The relationship between rate and HH mode sucks, not at all realistic, this means that you have to edit the model everytime you switch from rate to HH mode
Use your transmitters DualRate function or Travel Adjust
seaky is offline Find More Posts by seaky
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:39 PM
South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
67 Posts
Dual rates make no differrance (DX 7), the tail is so sensitive in rate mode that you need to go to about 15% of normal to get a controllable tail, then if you go to HH mode the tail is sluggish and slow.

No support from Phoenix for a month now. Going to give up on this for heli flight, suggestions for a better sim for heli?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 03:04 AM
Ade
Instructor
Bournemouth UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,836 Posts
what model are you using and why would you want to use rate mode?

Ade
Ade is offline Find More Posts by Ade
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:20 AM
South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
67 Posts
Gyro Rate or Dual rate?

You talking about dual rate or gyro rate mode? I use gyro rate mode for normal flying ie circuits t/o landing etc. Just the way I learnt to fly, I like to fly the tail myself.

Regarding the model, as I said in first post, ALL the helo models exibit the same trait.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:38 AM
Ade
Instructor
Bournemouth UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,836 Posts
rate mode = normal mode rather than Heading hold.

try flying with HH you have to fly the tail still but its more of a "move the stick if you want it to move" rather than "no dont point that way point this way" it will increase your confidence many times over once you get used to it.

Ade
Old Feb 24, 2008, 09:29 PM
South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
67 Posts
Noemal Mode

I learned to fly in normal mode and all my real helis (E325, Hurricane and E550) fly perfect ballanced turns in rate mode, with minimal rudder input. I basically only use HH mode for rolls loops. (haven't progressed beyond that yet).

Why can't the sim be like the real ones?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:21 AM
Ade
Instructor
Bournemouth UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,836 Posts
next time im at phoenix i will have a look at it.

99% of people fly in HH all the time tho. try it you might like it.

Ade
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:45 AM
Brentwood
Joined May 2005
123 Posts
for the want of sounding a bit snotty - if you can't use the rudder stick properly maybe the sim is the best way to learn!!!!!
heliphil is offline Find More Posts by heliphil
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:16 AM
South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
67 Posts
Tricky Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliphil
for the want of sounding a bit snotty - if you can't use the rudder stick properly maybe the sim is the best way to learn!!!!!
Try flying your model in rate mode, then see which mode teaches you to fly the rudder stick!!!

BTW this is a response from Phoenix:

[QUOTE]
Many of our helicopters have been intentionally setup for either rate or heading-hold mode, and may require some extra parameters to be altered in order for them to function in the other mode accurately - as would your real model.

Can you tell us the model which you are currently hacing problems with?

Best Regards

PhoenixRC Support
[QUOTE]
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:54 AM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Goteborg
Joined Aug 2005
718 Posts
I agree that helis in rate mode are impossible to fly, they just behave totally wrong as far as I can tell. I have only experience with co-axials for real though so my opinions might not be of much worth. The blade CX2 spins with a variable speed when constant stick travel is applied. It's like it gains speed and then lose it again, and this is the same for all helis. It's also very unprecise and slow to react which is totally different from my real Eksy lama v3. The rate mode gyro helis are so touchy on the rudderstick that they're impossible to fly for me, I find the Mini-Titan way easier to fly than any of the trainers!
Frojd is offline Find More Posts by Frojd
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:31 PM
South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
67 Posts
Phoenix update

Phoenix replied in a mail:

Further to our previous email, we are intending to improve the functionality when switching between heading-hold and rate gyros in the next update which should be available shortly from our website.

Best Regards

PhoenixRC Support

and then posted update 1.05 f, downloadind and will try that!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:01 AM
South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
67 Posts
1.05 Cured It

1.05f cured the unrealistic tail in rate mode, happy customer now!!!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:04 AM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Goteborg
Joined Aug 2005
718 Posts
Hey, I better try it out then! Thanks for th heads up.
Frojd is offline Find More Posts by Frojd