HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:27 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Question
I can't be the only one who'd like to see a 40" Hawker Hurricane foamy... Can I?

Ok, now a bunch of us have approached a particular manufacturer to try and see such a thing come to fruition, but the end result was that we were ultimately told that distributors didn't want such a thing and for that reason they would not build one.

This struck us as odd if not to say mildly preposterous, so I've brought our plight here in the hopes that:

1) We can get a real feel for how much interest there is for a Hawker Hurricane of that type.

and

2) See if there any manufacturers out there wanting to satisfy the demand for such a thing.

I mean come on, how many Spitfires and P-51s and Me109s do you need? Take a walk on the wild side! Right now, NO ONE is producing a Hurricane of that type or size! Where's the LOVE people?

The Hawker Hurricane was a fantastic plane that served in WW2 from beginning to end, almost unchanged! The Spit might have all the glam and the limelight, but it was the Hurricane that was the real work(war)horse of the Battle of Britain and many other theatres and engagements!

Right now, the only choice people who want an electric RC Hurricane have is to either scratchbuild them or convert gasser or rubber band powered designs.

I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That's ok. If you don't like Hawker Hurricanes, this thread is not for you. If on the other hand you are like me and would LOVE to have a nice "little" hurricane foamy on the backseat of their car looking for a park to beat up, then please chime in and show us your love!

I really can't be the only one!

Cheers,

Kitty
LedKitty is offline Find More Posts by LedKitty
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:50 PM
Unstoppable
Northern Virginia
Joined Oct 2007
109 Posts
I found this for you all, though larger then desired.
http://www.kmp.ca/gallery/albums.php...lbumListPage=3

Small problem, this http://www.kmp.ca/index.php?cPath=22...3e10b933d5091e does not list the Hurri maybe its no longer done by them
Lancair 888 is offline Find More Posts by Lancair 888
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:54 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
I was wondering where all the replies were (yes, I'm THAT impatient) until I realized that all the Hurricane talk is in fact going on in the E-Flite Sea Fury thread!!

If I get my paws on one of those I'm definitely doing it as a Baghdad Fury

K.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 02:30 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,896 Posts
Kitty, are considering a balsa kit, or are you looking for a foam kit, or either?

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Feb 22, 2008, 02:34 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
Right now I'll consider anything in that size range D-Rock

It would be great to have a foam job to slap together, but getting a hurri of any kind is like pulling teeth, so I'll take what I can get. I've got a 50" Easy Built hurri that I'm going to be beefing up and converting to electric I think.

Let's call it a race My builds are horribly abysmally slow because I am generally scattered and fluff headed, so if I finish my conversion before someone comes out with a nice electric hurri, we can consider ourselves all doomed

K.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 02:36 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
I would buy one, two, or three in a HEARTBEAT! Be it EPP, EPS, Elaptor... whatever!

Just please, please, please nothing smaller then Kittys request for 40"s.

Your FAR from alone and the Hurricane won the last TWO votes for a requested WWII fighter.

Tommy D

Stand on that rudder baby!
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:53 PM
vpp
West Yorkshire, U.K.
Joined Sep 2006
210 Posts
You've got my vote. I have searched for a Hurribird in the 10e and 25e classes without any success either. I'd buy one in shot. I would prefer a built up wooden structure as I am not really a fan of foam. The Fully Monty with retracts, a decent pilot figure, and flaps would be great.

Good luck with your quest.

Regards,

Dave
vpp is offline Find More Posts by vpp
Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:09 PM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
I'd love a Hurri, but I prefer it a bit larger - 50" to 65". I've been eyeing the VQ Hurricanes, but the little one is just too ugly, and both are pigs (6+lbs and 8.5+lbs respectively). I want this thing to fly scale, not zoom around like an F-16 with the burner on. Ideally, an electric bird in the 50" to 65" wingspan size should be between 40oz and 65oz.
One thing is for certain - whoever comes up with a decent electric Hurricane first is gonna make a ton of money real fast!!!
Doc
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:16 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Thanks Kitty, you're singing my song. So far as I know the only moulded foam one was the old Scorpio one - a dog with rudder/ele only and dorkish dihedral to keep it stable.

I'm with doc-e - I can't love the VQ ones and for myself I'd prefer it around 40".

Would make a great addition to the E-Flite range after the Sea Fury?
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:22 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
I'd like to see a Hurricane from Eflite, IF it were made out of Z Foam...I just don't like the foam they're using for the current planes. The Parkzone/Hobbyzone planes are far better with minor impacts and weeds.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:25 PM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,345 Posts
I'd love to see a foamy Hurricane in the 36-48" size range. I'd buy one the first bit of overtime I got after it came out. I'd be happy with a belly flopper, but flaps and or retracts would be a big plus.

sp
sperry is offline Find More Posts by sperry
Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:28 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822679

For those of us who can't wait for a (real) model - here is a collection of flyable simulated Hurries - This flight sim is the reason that my Hyp P-51 is not in the air yet. I attached in the linked thread, a few in sim-screen captures. I'll be getting my jollies for a Hurricane from BoB II, until a model maker delivers.

Fly baby, Fly!
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:42 PM
I even seen a house fly!
Montreal!
Joined Oct 2003
2,709 Posts
retracts = good

dorkish dihedral = bad

Keep it up boys! Lets show 'em what we want!

Kitty
Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:45 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc-e
I'd love a Hurri, but I prefer it a bit larger - 50" to 65". I've been eyeing the VQ Hurricanes, but the little one is just too ugly, and both are pigs (6+lbs and 8.5+lbs respectively).
Doc
Doc

I respectively disagree. Your quoted weights are about right for a model that size that was DESIGNED for glow. Electric flyer's are spoiled with light wing loading when a model is designed from the ground up as an electric.

Spoiled, however is a good thing in this case!

I have the 60 size VQ Hurricane <Sea> and like most have said in person it's a very attractive model. It's also one of the only games in town if you have to have a Hurricane AND an ARF.

For guys who can build and don't mind them smaller then 40 size watch E-Bay for the Balsacraft Hurricane. Expect to pay between $80-150 for a kit though.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Feb 22, 2008, 05:35 PM
Shaken not stirred
England
Joined Mar 2007
458 Posts
The plane looks too much like a spitfire and that is probally why there isn't a large demand by the distributors or the coffers to support the commission of this plane you desire to much. I too would like to see one, but i understand that business is still business.
J4m3sB0nD is offline Find More Posts by J4m3sB0nD