HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:24 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Discussion
Very good price on 6lb computerized observatory

There is a great sale now with a very good price on ETX-60BB 60mmF6 at telescopes.com.

This scope has fully computerized Autostar Goto. This means you point it at a couple of bright stars...and it does all the rest. Tracking. Finding. Tours of stuff in the sky. 1400 objects stored or you can enter your own.

Not nearly as much aperture as the 4" reflectors around in this class but a passel of nice features on a very compact scope and only 6lbs. This scope will not reach high powers but for the moon, jupiter, saturn (will be fine but not huge) and the brighter popular sky objects this is a casual observers dream.

I intend to put a laser on it and use it as my GoTo buddy for finding faint fuzzies with my big scope. Needless to say, this one is on the way as of this morning.

Spend some of that tax refund on a grab and go 6lb computerized obervatory. Ad copy from Meade mentions seeing more in one evening than Galileo saw in his entire life. Absolutely true, and an understatement, as you can see more and with a larger and better scope than he ever dreamed of. For a simple scope that will do a lot, this is a great deal.

Includes:
- A built-in Barlow lens flips into position when needed. This highly desirable feature provides more power when studying lunar and planetary surface features.

- A Bubble-level/Compass is provided to make initialization faster and easier.

- Three Premium 1.25" Eyepieces (4mm, 12mm, and 25mm) offering comfortable long eye-relief and a wide visual field.

- Lightweight aluminum tripod holds views steady without sacrificing portability.

- 45 Degree Erect Prism provides a comfortable viewing angle for extended observing sessions. Also makes daytime observation easier with corrected, right-side-up, right-to-left viewing.

- Bonus! AutoStar Suite Astoronomer Software on DVD for PC, now with instructional DVD.

Half price and free shipping...$160.

ETX-60BB with Autostar Goto.

They have other good prices also, there are a couple 4" reflectors offering more light grasp (fainter objects viewable) but this one is unique and very compact, great for camping and quick looks, so I thought I'd pass it on. I am continually amazed at the gear coming out now, this is a golden age for amateur astronomy.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:16 PM
Wake up and smell the veg
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Aug 2004
172 Posts
Wow that looks good. My 6" newtonian is a bit too big to take with me, sometimes I wished I had something more portable....
Hmpf! What a shame they do not ship outside North America...I would have ordered one in a flash!!!!
norite is offline Find More Posts by norite
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:21 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Are you sure it's just not free shipping outside N America? Or has Meade done a deal with the vendor to not undercut overseas prices, I wonder.

If you have family or friends in N Am, have it shipped there, or have then order it, then simply reship it to you. This is a heck of a deal. 60mm isn't a lot of aperture, but it's enough for the basics, and the self pointing alone means you'll get to see a lot of stuff. It even includes some satellites.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:36 PM
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Aug 2004
172 Posts
I'm trying to find out...my browser is blocking the popups when I try and check the international shipping bits....gah!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:41 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Free shipping is one of the Meade hallmarks.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:52 PM
Suspended Account
other sites and forums
Joined Jul 2005
305 Posts
Meade is strange

when youngest knocked mine down and broke focus rack and pinion they would not sell me one---they sent it free!

when I wanted to modify to 1.25 eye peice they would not sell the stuff to me
they sent it free!
I did have to do some machine work as they did not quite make all the parts needed to make conversion possible(said they did but after 4 different shipments--
they will not sell lenses--only through dealer/ distributors
what a major improvement in viewing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a great company!

I missed out on Texas A&M old scope and truck load of lenses,filters etc
all went for $600
supertiga is offline Find More Posts by supertiga
Last edited by supertiga; Feb 22, 2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:53 PM
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Aug 2004
172 Posts
I've emailed them to see if they'll ship to the UK, and how much it'll cost. Can't seem to find a UK source for this scope. I'll also have to contact Customs and see how much the import duty will be.

Failing that I have friends in Canada who might be able to help...(wonder if they'd get charged import tax?)
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:11 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Read the site again..."This product available only for shipment to US and Canada." I'd call them, but I suspect you're going to need to play the reship game. Depending on how much that costs, maybe it's cheaper to get the 80mm version from a UK vendor.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 02:09 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Meade also sells low end junk and that has always made me suspicious of them.

Buy cheap cry twice. I cried once for a TeleVue 85. I have no doubt my grandchildren will use it someday.
4 Scale is online now Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Feb 22, 2008, 02:27 PM
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Aug 2004
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Read the site again..."This product available only for shipment to US and Canada." I'd call them, but I suspect you're going to need to play the reship game. Depending on how much that costs, maybe it's cheaper to get the 80mm version from a UK vendor.
I did and that's also why I emailed them....you don't ask, you don't get. If I get it shipped to Canada, I'd imagine there will be import tax (& BC provincial sales tax?) for shipping it there, then I'd get hit again for more import tax from Canada to the UK....
Old Feb 22, 2008, 02:49 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Smith

Buy cheap cry twice. I cried once for a TeleVue 85. I have no doubt my grandchildren will use it someday.
I differ.

I have the 8" LX-90, and it is a good scope, with accurate GoTo capability. I have a friend who owns a 12" LX-200, and he LOVES it. It is a fantastic scope. Oh, they were NOT cheap. My LX-90 was about $1,800, and the LX-200 was close to $3,000 IIRC. I have not cried for my LX-90, other than wishing I had spent the extra to go with an LX-200.

If you are speaking about their "toy" level scopes under a few hundred, I agree. LX lines? Not toys or junk.

My "cheapest" scope that I enjoy is my Orion 100ED refractor.

If you CAN swing it, here is what i feel is the value leader from Meade right now...... Meade ETX-125PE
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Last edited by wrightme; Feb 22, 2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:02 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
I differ as well. A cheap scope I own and am using gets me more than one I cannot afford and do not own. This is an entry level scope with fun capabilities which will be used as an adjunct to a 12" newtonian. It's all about expectations and what your application is.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:10 PM
Suspended Account
other sites and forums
Joined Jul 2005
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Smith

for those on a budget
The person I was dealing with at Meade said that their 4in reflector is small as can go with out having a toy/junk

the 4in is what I bought at service merchandise($300)
I see a lower quality(?) version with computer tracking at sams/wall mart for 1/3 of what I paid($100?)!equatorial mounted(mine no computer tracking)no Idea of quality--looks like more gadget stuff to give problems
mine is manual equatorial mounted

with the 4in in stock form could clearly see divisions of rings of Saturn
after mods the view became even more incredible!
ring divisions are large and can see thickness in them--with low power lenses!
supertiga is offline Find More Posts by supertiga
Last edited by supertiga; Feb 22, 2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:18 PM
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Aug 2004
172 Posts
Just got a response to my query:
Quote:
Thank you for visiting our website! We are an authorized Meade dealer however our dealer agreement forbids us from selling Meade products outside of the US. Of course we find this very disappointing since we would love to sell you a Meade telescope. Due to the fluctuation of international currencies it is often less expensive to purchase telescopes from the United States rather than in your home country. As a result of these currency fluctuations Meade has instituted this policy on US dealers in order to protect the profit margin of authorized Meade dealers in your country. I am very sorry that I will not be able to sell you a Meade product. There are many other brands however that can be shipped outside the US. Zhumell, Konus and Vixen are some examples of telescope brands that we can ship internationally. Please let me know if you have any questions or require any further assistance. Thank you again for shopping on our website and we look forward to helping you again in the future.
Sincere regards,

Kristie
Customer Service
No deal, but it's always good to ask...
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:38 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
I ordered one.

Anyone want a nice set of Astronomical Binos?
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge