HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2003, 12:39 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Brushless GWS P-51 ROCKS !!!!!!

I installed the MiniAC 1215/16 brushless in a GWS "C" 5.33:1 gearbox and a 10X8 prop in my Reno Racer P-51.

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With 8 1100 NiMH's it goes straight up.

AUW is 20 oz. so it likes to be landed fast, but it goes like a rocket.

Other mods include filling in the panel lines and a very smooth painted surface.

Aileron flutter is still present at high speeds, but starts at a higher speed than the stock Mustang due to the smooth finish. I will eventually replace the foam ailerons with light balsa and a heavier guage linkage to stop this.

My stock P-51 retains a scale warbird feel in the air, and this one does justice to the racing colors I have it in.

Flight pics soon.

Rob
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2003, 12:56 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Looks really cool Rob! Do you have retracts, or left the gear off?
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jan 02, 2003, 01:02 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
Rob let me know when you are going out to the HD I would like to see it. I have the old gear box and a hacker b2012l that may end up in my p-51. Are those HEcells?
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Jan 02, 2003, 01:04 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Congrats Rob!!!

The Orlando gang like to see this RENO RACER in action! Let us know when and where and we will be like a fly in a soup!

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jan 02, 2003, 01:06 PM
Mad Scientist
South west, Va
Joined Nov 2001
385 Posts
Hey Rob
Nice plane =) The mustang is next on my list. I was wondering if you flown it stock? If so how much of a diffrence did filling in the panel lines and painting make in how it flies? I am going to have to stick to the stock motor and gearbox, Maybe One day I will be able to afford brushless =) also what kind of paint and filler did you use?

thanks
Jay
jayboy is offline Find More Posts by jayboy
Old Jan 02, 2003, 01:10 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Tres - this thing is a belly flopper - no gear. I even took the gear off of my stock one.

Dave - I'll be heading out there when the wind dies down - Keeping an eye on the weather forcast for the next couple of days.

I can't imagine what a Hacker would do in one of these Probably shread the wings.

I'm using the wattage 10 cell pack that I cut down to 8 cells, these are supposed to be the 1100 HEcells. I've had no problems with voltage or amp limitations. I'm not really pushing this combo, some people are using the "B" gear (4.75:1) with this prop.

I've got some tweaking to do on the control throws, right now it will do 2 rolls a second and is VERY twitchy on the ailerons at speed.

It also lands fast compared to the stock P-51's due to being 20oz.

Later,

Rob
Old Jan 02, 2003, 01:20 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,661 Posts
Great report. I have the same motor I've been eyeing a mustang for.

How many amps are you drawing with the 8 HEcells? I was planning on keeping to the 8 AAA cells (and sacrificing a little performance) but I wasn't sure how much that miniAC would want on the set up.

Thanks!
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Jan 02, 2003, 01:21 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Who says that a SILVER P-51D doesn't look good in the Air? Here's one over DRYDEN RESEARCH CENTER (NASA) and overlooking Edwards Air Force Base. I have been there several times and they have the SR-71 BLACK BIRD, the Sizzor wing experimental, the X-15 and many others. Yes, they have lots of WAR BIRDS here since this area is very dry and nothing seems to rust or corrode out here.

Carlos
Old Jan 02, 2003, 01:33 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
jayboy - I have one that I've left stock, and I love it. It flies very scale like. The filling of the panel lines and the paint added 1.5 oz. to the weight, so it didn't climb as well but it flew a little faster on stock power than my silver one. IMHO filling and painting while using the stock power isn't really worth it. Keep it light as you can with the stock power for good performance.

Melfsmite - I have no idea how many amps I'm pulling. Probably somewhere around 10. There is another person here using the 4.75:1 gearbox and the 10X8 prop and he is getting around 12 amps on that setup. I am going to hook up my 4/5 AAA 800's and see how much the power drops. It's just that the 800's and the stock motor get pretty warm because there is not much cooling on the P-51.

Rob
Old Jan 02, 2003, 01:54 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
I can't find one particular thread, where I think someone said "No.. the GWS P-51 is on rails and there is no need of BL".. Hummmm Should I dig it up?

Congrats Man Brushless power is awesome, are you selling your cans in the future?

Keep rip'n it Mason

Yours,
genovia
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Jan 02, 2003, 02:12 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Rob,

Looks like Gerry is going BRUSHLESS for that new GWS P-51D I got him a flew days ago....We have been discussing the ASTRO FLIGHT 010, 14T with the 3.75:1 gearing and 8 Cells, AAA size, 720 mAH, Ni-MH, Sanyo flat packs. However, I think it's best to hold off just a little so, we can study your power configuration some and see your RENO RACER fly.

I was considering to buy another ASTRO FLIGHT 010 geared with the GWS 3.75:1 ratio and 8 Cell, AAA size, for my new TUSTEEGEE GWS P-51D but, I am holding off myself to see what kind of Amps, weight and power (RPM's) you have on that RENO.

So, lets keep in touch and let us know when your next flight of the Speed Demon will be.

Regards,
Carlos
Old Jan 02, 2003, 02:13 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,453 Posts
Good stuff Rob!!...if you go out there Saturday I'll get to see it.

BTW, I created a cradle on the belly of my old P-51 that I'm now using as a research bed and installed the 8 cell AAA flat pack there. With full airflow across the pack they still get hot as heck after landing!!.

My stock GWS 300 C setup pulls 8 amps max. on the ground. seems like this is pushing the AAA's capabilities so, for your Reno racer I would stick to the 1100 HeCells if I was you.

See you at the field...

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Jan 02, 2003, 02:15 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Oh, yes, a little backround on the REAL SILVER P-51D that I posted under the DRYDEN RESEARCH CENTER heading....This plane was completely rebuilt and has the MERLIN R/R Engine with the Super Charger. I beleive they have two, one flight operational and one for parts. NOTICE THE YELLOW NASA banner across the rudder and vertical stab.

Carlos.
Old Jan 02, 2003, 02:23 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RMason
Couldn't wait.

Got the brushless in, and test flew it.

Got some aileron flutter (buzz) on the level high speed passes and it lands fast compared to the stock ones.

I've got to cut down on the aileron throw because it does about 2 rolls a second at speed. SCARY !!! My knees were shaking, but was grinning ear to ear.

Having a celebratory beer now.

See you all soon,

Rob
Rob,

Recall that I told you guys at the field that I glued in a plastic guide tube (the one found in the DUBRO quick link kit) in the Ailerons so, the Metal Control Wire is not making direct contact with the soft foam Aileron material. I think you just glued in your control wire into the raw foam aileron material and you are reaching over 50 MPH speeds and everytime you spin roll that beast you perhaps crushing some foam at the pressure points of contact. This is evident when your RENO RACER flys faster and faster and the ailerons flap at these high speeds.

Just a thought...
Carlos
Old Jan 02, 2003, 05:10 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
genovia -

I still like the way the stock one flies. I has a nice scale feel in the air.

When I filled and painted the Reno, I gained 1 1/2 oz and it didn't climb as well as I would have liked with the stock power, but it was faster.

Now with the 1100's and the 1215/16 in it I have gained 4 oz. total over the stock, but it flies like a Reno Racer should. I used a lot of throttle management today for the down side of manoevers cause it will pick up speed in a real hurry due to the increased weight and the smooth airframe. It goes like a scalded cat level

Carlos -

The foam ailerons aren't a problem, it's the wire linkage that is twisting in flight and allowing flutter. The Reno starts flutter at a higher speed than stock from filling the panel lines, but still does it after a dive. I will be going to a thicker wire for the aileron linkage after a while - just have to use a little throttle management with this one for a while.

Rob