HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:20 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Discussion
The fun in Afghanistan continues.... check the news.

Hey folks,

If you watch the news or read the papers Im sure you saw the article about the helicopters full of senators etc... that landed on a mountain over here in Afghan. Yeah, it WAS us, 7 of my buddies and myself. Yeah, it sucked, and yeah, it was cold as heck. We were out there for too dang long in the snow, rain, ice, sleet and wind. But, we had CAS (close air support) flying over (F-15s and A-10s) head at nearly all times and they had a live Predator feed going the whole time too (when they could see anyway).

It was pretty hairy at first, but once we were on the ground all was ok. We had about 100 or so locals (freindly? who knows) all around on the mountain tops watching all night. No shots fired, so, we didnt either. Its all good.

Shortly after the landing, we had ground guys (Arizona National Guard) mobilized and on thier way to our location. Now, about the AZ guys... AWESOME is the only word to describe them. I have worked with many active and guard units, and these fellas were TOP NOTCH for sure. Outstanding. The guys stood outside, all night and all day, in the rain, snow, wind etc... Tough as nails, and didnt complain for a second. A huge thank you goes out to those boys for doin what they do best.

So, part of their force took the senators, generals ect... back "home" and the rest stayed with us. Then it was a waiting game for weather to clear. Now, 37 hours after we departed, we are "home".

Good times good times. I have some pics of the area, weather ect... and I'll post them when I can.

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Last edited by lmopar69; Feb 22, 2008 at 09:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:45 AM
RIP Bryce Russell Love U!
United States, AL, Headland
Joined Jun 2005
312 Posts
I am glad you guys landed and didn't try to fly through that crazy stuff! I am more thankful that after all of that time being out there that everyone made it back saftly! If you ever see those AZ guys again, tell them I said thanks for doing such a great job! Then see if they need any of the extra food and stuff I send ya, I will make a package just for them!

Love and miss ya! Stay safe!

Kristy
kmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by kmopar69
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:03 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Roger that dearest wifey! I will be taking them a bunch of Girl Scout Cookies I got today as a thank you. Who dosnt like GSC? Thin mints and samoas are the ultimate thank you!

Laine... the guy happy to be back in his warm room!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:31 AM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
Dear Imopar69

Thanks for these precious photos and stay safe.

Always love to see your threads...

Ray
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:00 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Thank you very much Ray. Hope all is well with GWS... some great stuff recently. Wish I could fly over here.

Laine.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:13 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
WOW !!!! its a small world ! I saw that on Fox news yesterday . GOD bless,stay safe,& keep warm ! From a OLD USAF Nam. vet R.T.R.
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:16 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Yeah, its kinda cool to come back this evening and see all the printouts from various news sources talking about it.... Im not used to that!

Laine.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:19 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Whats really strange is just the day before i was showing my wife 1 of your posts on RCG And when we saw the news we wondered if u were in the middle of it.
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:33 AM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Wow! Nothing like fog/wx in the mountains to get the old pucker factor up! Glad you didn't try to push it and take any unnecessary chances. Keep the great pics coming...
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Feb 22, 2008, 02:40 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,842 Posts
Absolutely keep those pix coming! Could you have ever imagined in your wildest dreams that you'd be stuck on a mountain in Afghanistan with the likes of John Kerry and Joe Biden?

The mind boggles!

Stay safe.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:42 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,592 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to land safe and make it back to base ok. I guess this kind of answers my question to you about who you fly around, that I asked in your last thread (In flight pics…).

Take care,
Dave
DWA is online now Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2008, 06:22 PM
Stankromfols
Valley Springs, CA
Joined Jun 2006
797 Posts
After spending time in Saudi (sun, sand, wind, desert), and the Balkans, (rain, sleet, snow, fog, unfriendlies) I send you my best wishes for good luck and a short tour. Even with your very good pictures it's hard to imagine just how difficult a tour can be unless you've actually experienced the conditions. Stay safe. If you need an extra pilot over there I can send mine. He keep pretty much to himself, muttering about sky scrapers and virgins and stuff, but he knows how to fly and would love to have a tour in Afghanistan.
Stan
SKromfols is offline Find More Posts by SKromfols
Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:07 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys. As for the guys we were flying... dont forget ol' Mr. Hagle... NEBRASKA BABY!! Yeah, thats my home state all right. CORNHUSKERS!

As for sending your pilot Stan... welllllllll, I think I'll have to pass on that one. Super cool lookin little rag head though aint he! I bet that plane augers into the ground sooner than later with him in there!

Thanks guys.

Laine.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 07:50 AM
Stankromfols
Valley Springs, CA
Joined Jun 2006
797 Posts
Laine, Actually he flies pretty well for a rag head. I'm doing my best to civilize him. So far I've introduced him to BLT's, which I claim are seasoned chicken strips. Next we'll see if he likes the taste of ham or pork chops. One of my friends just got back from Afghanistan, he was a civilian and ran the Army Education Center at one of the bases there. He adopted a scorpion while he was there and was sad to have to leave it behind when he left. Strange what we sometimes do to pass the time on deployment. Can you do any RC flying over there ?
SKromfols is offline Find More Posts by SKromfols
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:20 AM
Test Pilot, Stand Clear
USA, OH, Mt Vernon
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
You guys never cease to amaze me! Thanks for the update. Glad everyone is ok. Hooray for the USA!
eatmydirt is offline Find More Posts by eatmydirt