HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2008, 02:00 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,229 Posts
Discussion
Hokusei Yak54 EPP BX

It's time to build a new plane. I picked YAK54 for its look.

Specs:
- Wing Span 870mm (34.3 inch)
- Length 960mm (37.8 inch)
- Wing Loading 21 g/d㎡ (6.8 oz/sqft)
- Flying Weight 330~350 g (11.6~12.3 oz) with no battery
- Propeller APC SF 10x4.7, GWS SF 1047
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Last edited by feda; Feb 22, 2008 at 10:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:26 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,711 Posts
I would sure like to see the the Extra that is on Hokusei's site come easily available to the states.
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:32 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Yeah, I would like to get one of these yaks. I absolutely love yak 54 planes.
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:18 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Yeah, I would like to get one of these yaks. I absolutely love yak 54 planes.
There is no better time to get one now. These YAKs are on sale on www.wattaplane.com. In addition, RMB, the currency of China, is under huge pressure to appreciate and rising fast against US dollars as we speak. Expect planes made in China to become more expensive in the near future.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 06:36 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,928 Posts
I just ordered one of these Yaks. It seems to fly nicely in the Hokusei videos. Looking forward to receiving it.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old May 13, 2008, 05:21 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,928 Posts
It's arrived and it's a real beauty!

I'd looked at all the info, pictures and flight videos on the Hokusei Japan website (http://www.hokusei-japan.com/product...54-epp-bx.html) and just knew I had to try one of these planes!

I purchased a Yak and a Primus from www.wattaplane.com. The owner, Max, was very helpful when I made numerous initial inquiries and also provided updates along the way so that I knew where my planes were. I received my planes a few days ago; I've just been too busy to do much other than unpack them to have a look and take some photos.

Ordering from the wattaplane website was easy. I decided to purchase the optional foam padding to provide better protection to the kits during shipping. In the past I've had a plane package get destroyed in the post, so I felt it was worth protecting these ones against the worst that the postal service could inflict upon them. Each plane kit was double boxed. The kits were packed very carefully, with the Dualsky motors I purchased at the same time taped down securely to prevent them bouncing around inside the box and tearing up the foam kits. The outer foam padding had taken some damage during shipping, but the inner boxes arrived in pristine condition so the kits are in top shape.

Max had noted on the forums that I love using UHU Creativ for Foam and Foils glue on EPP so he provided me with a tube of his preferred EPP glue, 3M Scotch 6225N, to compare with the UHU. I opened the tube and had a sniff (as you do, right? right???? ). It smells very, very similar to the UHU. I'll report more on this later (gluing foam,not sniffing )

OK, this is the Yak thread so I'll get back on track and talk about the Yak. When I opened the Yak box I was really, really impressed by the quality and appearance of this plane. It looks absolutely fantastic. The plane is a hollow built-up design of EPP with an EPP skin, similar to the CST Katana. In fact, many of the components such as the control horns, servo frames and wheels appear to be the same as those on the CST Katana. The plane arrives mostly built, with a great colour scheme already painted on; no messing around with decals or paint on this one! Carbon fibre has been used extensively in the fuselage, main wing, and horizontal and vertical stabilisers. As a result, the plane is very stiff.
Last edited by groovejet; May 13, 2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old May 13, 2008, 06:54 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,711 Posts
Looks great. I am in the middle of building their Ultima SOV and am impressed with the quality of the kits also. So much so that I put an Extra BX on order. I need some EPP airframes to practice on and have always admired the Hokusei models.
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old May 14, 2008, 07:19 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,928 Posts
Been a build'n

I had a couple of hours free tonight so I worked on the Yak. I attached the wings and hinged the control surfaces. The control surfaces use CA hinges and will allow for very extreme throws if my servo arms are long enough. The photos show how it's shaping up.
Old May 14, 2008, 07:29 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
Looking forward to hearing how this one flys Scott - does it have strong enough wing spars to cope with your flying?

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old May 14, 2008, 08:00 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart
Looking forward to hearing how this one flys Scott - does it have strong enough wing spars to cope with your flying?

Mike
Lol! Well, let's see. CF top and bottom in the wing; check!

But it's horizontally arranged, not vertical so it's not as stiff as it could be.
Old May 14, 2008, 08:43 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet
Lol! Well, let's see. CF top and bottom in the wing; check!

But it's horizontally arranged, not vertical so it's not as stiff as it could be.
Not necessarily, if its flat then the centre of area of the carbon moves nearer the outside of the wing, so there is a greater moment between the areas and greater moment of resistance.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old May 15, 2008, 02:29 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,229 Posts
Making Sense of the Manual

I don't read Japanese, but I got a Chinese manual from Hokusei last night. Here is my attempt to make sense of the original Japanese manual with the help of the Chinese one. I have paraphrased some of the more important instructions of the manual.
Last edited by feda; May 19, 2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old May 15, 2008, 04:57 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,928 Posts
Thanks for posting some translations feda. I'm sure that English speaking builders will find it useful.

I did some more work on the Yak last night and am now up to step 5 in the Japense manual. Steps 5, 6 and 7 look OK, but step 8 looks a bit tricky without some English text to go with it. I think that step 8 is about cutting up those small white EPP sheets to reinforce the fuselage sides where the battery will be located. Can you please confirm? Thanks.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:37 PM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet
Thanks for posting some translations feda. I'm sure that English speaking builders will find it useful.

I did some more work on the Yak last night and am now up to step 5 in the Japense manual. Steps 5, 6 and 7 look OK, but step 8 looks a bit tricky without some English text to go with it. I think that step 8 is about cutting up those small white EPP sheets to reinforce the fuselage sides where the battery will be located. Can you please confirm? Thanks.
A quick answer is yes. I will prepare the translation for step 8 first and post it today.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:43 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,229 Posts
The eighth step has been translated. Please see Post #12 of this thread.