SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2001, 01:14 AM
Fox
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2000
51 Posts
Zagi 400x post flight battery temperature

Due to the hot weather (35-40 Celsius) and 1000ft pressure altitude I'm having to fly my Zagi-400X at high throttle settings for most of the flight.

At end of the flight the battery is really hot...I can pick it up and hold it but it's uncomfortably hot.

Is this too hot ???

I guess that I can try drilling holes in the canopy to increase cooling or fly with out the canopy ??? Anyone else got this problem.

Cheers,
Fox
Fox is offline Find More Posts by Fox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2001, 02:13 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
Try more air flow over the battery by drilling holes in the canopy first. Since it's a 400X, did you open up those three flat areas in the canopy? That's what they're for.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 16, 2001, 04:42 AM
Fox
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2000
51 Posts
Yes...I had opened up the original ventilation holes. The battery temp was fine in the winter (20+ celsius) but now those holes aren't enough. I guess that I'll get the drill out !
Fox is offline Find More Posts by Fox
Old Jun 19, 2001, 07:15 PM
Vacaville CA USA
Joined Mar 2001
10 Posts
Ah, the gulf weather and density altitudes....I've been to Dubai and Abu Dhabi, and I can imagine the heat right now....
We're running temps of 40C here in Northern California (valley) and my batteries are like yours after flying. HOT! I punched some small holes around the plastic wrapping stuff and opened the canopy way up, but there's no cure when you have to use pretty much full thrust all the time. I have no real advice, except to tell you that all of our battery packs get hot when the OAT is high. I also found that storing the batteries in the air conditioned house kept them happier than the 50C garage......

Chris
Tip_Stall is offline Find More Posts by Tip_Stall