SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 17, 2009, 11:36 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
bird down again

I have been so busy with work that I hardly come in here. Well, the bird is still a great stress reliever.

Today, the Cybird went down again. This time, the pivot that pins the push rod to the gear broke.

Anyway, a screw and double nuts fixed the problem. Cheers,
Terence
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2009, 03:05 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan
I have been so busy with work that I hardly come in here. Well, the bird is still a great stress reliever.

Today, the Cybird went down again. This time, the pivot that pins the push rod to the gear broke.

Anyway, a screw and double nuts fixed the problem. Cheers,
Terence

I hope is was quick and painless, thanks for the tip.

I just bought this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D1

Seems like a good deal but I will need to sort out a tranmitter. I have a spare storm launcher and transmitter and guts that is 27.045 MHz that I'd love to make work but I'd need help on how to do that. The toys that I buy always have a transmitter with them so this is new and unknown for me.

Any advice?
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old May 18, 2009, 10:11 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Here it is!! The wings worked!!

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Very satisfying to get it airborn, I really needed that

Thunder Roc Cybird w/home made wings takes to the air!! (3 min 44 sec)
Old May 25, 2009, 10:23 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy
Here it is!! The wings worked!!

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Very satisfying to get it airborn, I really needed that
Didn't see your post til now, well looks like you've sorted out the radio.

Congratulations!! The pointed wings made it look like a different species. *lol
These birds look so real in the air, it's always a delight to get it flying from the first launch. Good job getting it together and nice flying too!

At the end, I heard 'broken gear', what happened? Was the gear stripped during the time when it said ' I don't feel so good'?
Old May 25, 2009, 07:42 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Quote:
Didn't see your post til now, well looks like you've sorted out the radio.

Congratulations!! The pointed wings made it look like a different species. *lol
These birds look so real in the air, it's always a delight to get it flying from the first launch. Good job getting it together and nice flying too!

At the end, I heard 'broken gear', what happened? Was the gear stripped during the time when it said ' I don't feel so good'?
Yes, the "I don't feel so good" was just before the gear stripped and she went down. I have fixed and repaired it many times now. I had it fixed for a few flights but it just broke again this past weekend. My elevator also stripped but I don't really care about that because I could only keep this bird in the air by holding the elevator stick cranked down the whole time so why have it 3ch anyways? I assume it worked better out of the box?. I decided to take the battery case out to minimize weight plus I removed the gears out of the broken servo and tightened the elevator in to a fixed postion. Before it broke this weekend, I had a few chances to fly it but I was finding it hard to keep in the air......and then the gear broke and that was the end of that.

Now that I know how to fly this thing, I really wish I had a new one out of the box so that I could really see how she goes......my wings broke way too quickly as I was learning to fly. Unless I get a new gear, I'm done with this bird because I have a used P1 coming to me that I won off ebay with lots of extra parts, (but not my gear); I will bank on that one. The thunder Roc cybird breaks everytime I take it out.....I feel lucky enough to have even had it in the air at this point. Oh yeah, my girlfriend counted how many seagulls it attracted within 2 mins. of being in the air......... 20 !!!!!! 20 all swarming around it....I was lucky I didn't get pooped on

Anyone have some parts for this thing? The gear that broke is half metal and half plastic. It's the one after the motor.....like, the motor has a small metal gear on it and then it goes to a plastic gear with a metal gear in the middle of it....that's the one. The metal gear separates from the plastic.....soooooooo frustrating

To be continued.............
Old May 31, 2009, 09:53 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Well, my thunder Roc was problem after problem......One of my main gears broke, I repaired it, it broke, I repaired it, it broke......sigh.

Until I find a new gear, it's out of commission.

So, I scored a used cybird P1 off of ebay. I do not have a 72mAh transmitter needed for it so what I've done is to transfer the guts of the Thunder Roc 3 ch to the cybird P1. I am using the gear box and frame from the P1, and the brain and servos from the TR. I'm also going to try it with the new wings from the P1 and the enlarged tail wing from the TR....(it's about 2" longer and wider).

Will post a vid soon.
Old Jun 02, 2009, 12:54 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Quote:
I do not have a 72mAh transmitter needed for it so what I've done is to transfer the guts of the Thunder Roc 3 ch to the cybird P1.
Clever thinking. It should work although the flap rate will be relatively slower as I noticed that the stock P1 radio send an alarmingly-high flap rate at full throttle. This is why the P1 looks like a hysterical bird in the demo video, the P2 or TR flaps at a more realistic rate because of its larger wing span.

A bigger tail would magnify the sweeping effect. I'm looking forward to your video.
Last edited by terencechan; Jun 02, 2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2009, 08:25 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Slower? How do you figure? I am using the P1 wings which are smaller than the TR's so I think that they will flap faster. The TR uses a 7.4V 1250mAH 10C Lipo.....just slightly bigger than what fits in the frame of the P1 even with the lipo holder out. I planned on using the stock P1 Lipo but the ones that I have are not flapping fast enough to generate lift. Maybe they are tired?.....I can't say how old they are. I put the TR lipo in but I have not had a chance yet to fly. They do flap much faster now so hopefully I will have a chance tonight.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 12:30 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Well, My P1 with all of the Thunder Roc stuff just wouldn't fly. I suspect that it is too heavy. It just can't seem to pull itself up and through the air.

What I'm working on now are two things:

1. I've realized that the P1 outer gears that rotate the arms are the same size as the Thunder Roc gears inside of the gear box only that they are metal and not plastic. Realizing this, I went to work.....One of the two gears is done and works well. I am still having the same problem with the other gear, (the one that is two gears in one). I tried using 4min epoxy, specially formulated for metal......what a let down!! Crazy glue did a better job but still didn't last. Right now, I am currently glueing the gear with industrial "LePage PL Premium 3 times stronger than ordinary adhesives" glue and if this can't hold it, nothing will......correct me if I'm wrong.

2. I have a back up Storm Launcher for parts.....it runs off of a 7.4V, 740mAh 2cell lipo that can be made even lighter than stock cybird with a bit of work. The storm launcher turns by transferring power from motor to motor.....(I forget the proper name for this right now). So, I'm going to try using my SL guts in my P1 and we will see if it flies. I am sending both sets of SL wires, (from the two motors), to the one motor on the P1. The SL servo is used for turning left and right......seems to favor right more than left...oh well. The SL has awesome range and is tried, tested and true. The only thing with this is that Up and down on the transmitter will be how to turn left and right with the bird.....doesn't if it works.

We'll see how it all goes and I'll post later.

Old Jun 08, 2009, 12:29 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,242 Posts
Hi H.C. How did you make your build of your P1 do you have a pic?.
How did you do an elevator mod?
Petey..
Machy2k is offline Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Jun 08, 2009, 09:38 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k
Hi H.C. How did you make your build of your P1 do you have a pic?.
How did you do an elevator mod?
Petey..
I used the guts from a Thunder Roc three channel cybird. This bird has an elevator.....basically, I believe that it is a clone of the P2 but I don't know much about the P2.

I have since stripped it down again out of frustration so I don't have a pic.

I'm thinking about buying one more thunder roc bird as my local shop has one........but I'm not paying more than $100 for one new. Now that I know how to fly it and how it behaves, I think I will have much better luck not breaking the wings; I also know where to reenforce them now too.
I figure that it all went down hill after my wings broke......I built new ones which had to have been slightly heavier and that must be what caused the gear to break and has brought me to my current situatuion........sad and depressed that I have no bird to fly

I was thinking........would it work if I were to transfer the gear box and wings from my P1 to the frame and guts of my Thunder Roc? I realize that the P1 gearbox is not as tall as the TR but I can get it on.....but will it work?
Any thoughts?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:57 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking........would it work if I were to transfer the gear box and wings from my P1 to the frame and guts of my Thunder Roc? I realize that the P1 gearbox is not as tall as the TR but I can get it on.....but will it work?
Any thoughts?
In theory, it will work. We all know that the inside gears of the P1 are different from the ones of the TR/ P2 but combining a P1 gearbox with a TR frame to make a hybrid is feasible.

These birds are fussy. If the angle of the lever arm isn't quite right, the bird will nose-dive as soon as you launch it. The lower gear box affects that angle so you need to elevate it.

The P1 is cheaper. I had gotten another P1 for inside gears, linkages and lever-arms replacement spares. As for the main frame, it remains in one piece after several crashes. If you ever get your hybrid flying, you only need to watch out for the wings since you already have all the P1 spares for the head.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:02 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,853 Posts
Quote:
In theory, it will work. We all know that the inside gears of the P1 are different from the ones of the TR/ P2 but combining a P1 gearbox with a TR frame to make a hybrid is feasible.

These birds are fussy. If the angle of the lever arm isn't quite right, the bird will nose-dive as soon as you launch it. The lower gear box affects that angle so you need to elevate it.

The P1 is cheaper. I had gotten another P1 for inside gears, linkages and lever-arms replacement spares. As for the main frame, it remains in one piece after several crashes. If you ever get your hybrid flying, you only need to watch out for the wings since you already have all the P1 spares for the head.
Here is what I'm thinking will be easier: I will use the complete frame of the P1 and add the back of a TR frame and use the larger wings of a TR. Will the Gear box of the P1 be ok with the larger wingspan of the P2/TR?

This is what I'm thinking, specifically illustration 1-10 of the "cybird P1.6".

http://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

The reason why I'm thinking about this is because I have one TR with a broken gear so not flyable and a P1 without a proper transmitter so why not combine the two?? I still can't believe the P1 would not fly with all of the TR guts on it but I think that the larger wings of the TR will make the difference.; this is why I'm thinking about joining the frames. This will make it compatible with the larger wings and it will keep the angle of the arms and gearbox correct.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:59 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Yeah, that will work. You can sort out the flap rate later with throttle management.

Check the CG of the original TR and mark that distance from the tail. You will want to have the same CG on your hybrid.

Cheers!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:47 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Repairing the Cybird's Tail

I find it extremely hard to spot the orientation when I'm flying with the stock red wings. The flapping makes the red of the wings blend with the tail's, forming a blurred vision.

When I had the chance to put on a pair of replacement brown wings, I noticed that the brown's contrast to the red tail enhanced the cybird's orientation so much that I decided to keep it that way for good.

On Sunday, a heavy downpour came suddenly while I was flying. In my anxiety, I landed too hard and broke the red tail's plastic tail-piece.
And to my disappointment, the replacements which I bought online turned out to be the brown ones. In the end, I decided to fix the broken red tail. Guess what? It turned out to be a 15minutes job!

I will let the pictures speak for themselves.