HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Chris F, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:27 AM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rock
Thanks Chris, I'll be sure to look for it
I started it today but it will be a slowish build, the covering takes ages.
Chris F is offline Find More Posts by Chris F
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:29 PM
Carberry, MB Canada
Joined Feb 2004
172 Posts
Hi Guys, doing a silkspan wpbu right now...try this, as you would cover an open frame oldtimer with silkspan. Some guys do this, and some don't....wet it first.
When I tried brushing the wbpu on the dry, the silkspan kinda shrunk and wrinkled alot! So I cut my piece, hung it on some styro insulation with t-pins and sprayed with water. If it''s a wing, cut a clean edge which you line up with the LE.
Next, brush wbpu on the piece you are covering, lay the silkspan over the LE and seal with a swipe of your finger. The other hand can spread its fingers and hold the silk up from under. With both hands back now, Grab it at the ends somewhat inboard of the length of the panel span and lay it down pulling very gently so it stays in place on the LE. You can wrestle the silk span mostly flat with only wrinkles around any compound curves.
Silkspan is a bit resilliant when wet and gentle lifting and pulling can rid you of large wrinkles. Lift the back edge with both hands and pull out the large wrinkles. Just lift it up and position it where you need it. Smoothe the air and wrinkles down with your fingers, have a wet cloth for your fingers handy... small wrinkles are ok, we'll sand them off. A few minutes wigglin it around and you are done. alot easier than tryin to smooth out a mozillion wrinkles. Still is a daunting way to do it, but after first sand you will really see how nice it is for that special bird.
Don't forget to wet sand your final. It'll be like a mirror. Today I found I really like using a fine/medium sanding sponge for all sanding when doing this. For final, wet with the sponge. Trim the sponge's hard edges where the two grits meet with scissors a little so it won't gouge. NICE!
spitcrazy is offline Find More Posts by spitcrazy
Old Aug 25, 2008, 05:52 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Great Thread Chris!

I do have a question though....

Where can I buy Silkspan?

Thanks... Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:48 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,037 Posts
Hi Bill and thanks. I buy it at my LHS but that doesn't help you much when you are 16,490 km away. Here is a link to my LHS anyway, but I'm sure you will find it in the US somewhere if you Google it.
http://www.rcheadquarters.com.au/
You will find it under "Covering Materials". Good luck
Old Aug 26, 2008, 08:17 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,416 Posts
SIG was recommended to me. I haven't ordered from them yet but my next batch may be from them if my LHS is out, again.
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Aug 26, 2008, 03:42 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,037 Posts
Thanks Pickle, I do belive that Silkspan is made by SIG.
Old Sep 01, 2008, 12:29 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
Hi Bill and thanks. I buy it at my LHS but that doesn't help you much when you are 16,490 km away. Here is a link to my LHS anyway, but I'm sure you will find it in the US somewhere if you Google it.
http://www.rcheadquarters.com.au/
You will find it under "Covering Materials". Good luck
Hi Chris,

Will this stuff work?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKRU2&P=7

Thanks... Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Sep 01, 2008, 04:28 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,037 Posts
Hi Bill,

I can't be sure, I have never seen that stuff before. I would email them and ask if it is tissue. If it is I would get some and give it a go. It looks pretty expensive for a bit of tissue though I am a bit suspicious.