HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2003, 09:14 AM
Joined Dec 2002
14 Posts
First time Electronics Setup on Corona, Help!?!

Well my Corona 120 kit and all the parts i ordered finally arrived today, and I have a few quick questions regarding the electronics. Which capacitors and where do i solder them, on the Atomic Force? What settings should i use on my Castle 35-P and Gy-420 gyro? For my initial charge on the 7 cell 2400mah pack, is it a MUST to do a slow charge? How exactly do i breakin the Atomic Force motor-i've heard of many different ways, but which is the easiest and best???

Any other help you can give me would be Awesome!!

Heli specs:
Corona 120 kit
Atomic Force motor
Castle 35-P
Futaba GY-420
Hitec Flash 5 radio w/555 rx and HS-81's
2400mah 7 cell pack
Duratrax piranha digital peak charger
mtbiac is offline Find More Posts by mtbiac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2003, 09:25 AM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,277 Posts
I can't help you with the Atomic Force questions, since I went brushless out of the box.

The GY-240 is an excellent choice. Here is how I det mine up:

First, make sure the gyro is positioned away from the motor and is stable. Do a search here on RC Groups and you'll see some good mounting options. Also, make sure you heed the note int he gyro's manual and allow the gyro to initilize for 3 seconds after power-on before moving the heli or moving the left stick.

Next, make sure the tail rotor moves in the correct direction when you move the left stick. See the illustration in the manual for the currect servo rotation. If the servo rotates int he incorrect direction, reverse the servo at the radio, NOT with the gyro switch.

Now, with AVCS in the OFF position, grasp the heli by the rotor head and rotate the body of the heli. Note the direction that the servo moves and make sure it is correct. For example, when you rotate the nose of the heli to the right, the servo should move to apply left tail rotor. If it moves in the opposite direction, reverse the servo using the switch on the gyro.

If you do not get any servo movement when you turn the heli, make sure the gain dial on the gyro is not set to 0. I started with mine aroung 50%.

Now bring the heli to a low hover, adn watch the tail rotor. Land and adjust the gain dial upwards until the tail just starts to "hunt" (wag slightly). Backt he setting down just a hair (until the hunting stops), and then turn AVCS on. Yout tail should be locked in.

If you notice the tail starting to slowly rotate, check that your tail rotor drive gear is tight on the shaft. The Corona tail drive likes to loosen over time, especially if you have a less than gentle landing and ding the tail rotor.

I've been flying mine for a couple weeks now, and it is an absolute blast!!!!! Your first solid, controlled hover is an amazing feeling.

Matt
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Jan 02, 2003, 12:12 PM
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Joined Oct 2000
523 Posts
On your battery question: I would definatly do a slow charge (c/10) for your first cycle. Once every 3-4 weeks I discharge mine to .9v per cell and do another slow charge on the packs.

The last message about Gyro setup, etc was right on. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Buckey29 is offline Find More Posts by Buckey29
Old Jan 02, 2003, 02:32 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,774 Posts
Leave the AVCS on until you get good in a hover, then learn to hover without the HH turned on. That will teach you to use the TR more, and come in handy when you get to FFF.

In the HH mode the Heli will not "weathervane" in a turn, it will stay facing the original direction. You will need to let that left thumb learn how to turn the heli.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 02, 2003, 02:54 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
The instructions for adding capacitors are in the Electric Helicopter Beginner Guide, Section 6e.

Look for the text "If you are using a brushed motor".

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Jan 02, 2003, 04:31 PM
Joined Dec 2002
14 Posts
toshi, I read that, thanks. Do I NEED to add them? how do i know if i already have them?

sorry for the n00bish questions, dont want to mess this up though!

THANKS!
mtbiac is offline Find More Posts by mtbiac
Old Jan 02, 2003, 04:42 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
You don't already have them, because they don't come preinstalled.

They look like little brown discs with two leads coming out of them.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Jan 02, 2003, 04:45 PM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,277 Posts
Yes, you neeed the capacitors

You must add the capacitors to your brushed motor for RF noise suppression. Please do not pass this step up.

Matt
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29