HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:49 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Discussion
MSNBC Reports McCain Sex Scandal

as "Breaking News" - interupting the regularly scheduled programing and all. I'll be extrememly interested in our members interpretation of MSNBCs manner of reporting this story. olberman is the talking head.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:10 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
So far, watching Olberman try to find a way to make this a bigger deal thann it is has been quite entertaining. His obvious disapointment* at an inability to guide the guest expert to concluding that it will seriously damage McCains campaign was hilarious.

*my perception of the focus and direction of his segment. In fairness to MSNBC, everyone else involved so far seems to be quite subdued while providing their analysis.
Last edited by sarge; Feb 20, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:12 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Thinking of McCain and sex in the same thought turns my stomach.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:14 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
Thinking of McCain and sex in the same thought turns my stomach.
You aren't a 40 year old woman.

When it is all said and done, it won't be about sex at all. If there is any story at all, it will be about perceived improprieties with a lobbiest.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:34 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Merged from other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
News - John McCain - Lobbyist Romance Scandal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The New York Times is publishing some sort of scandal about John McCain concerning an alleged relationship with a female lobbyist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/u...1mccain.html?hp (Subscription required. See home page for the headline.)

At this point I have no idea if the story has merit or not, but either way, it's news. Let's see what develops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlight
Heh heh. I'll bet lot's of guys wish there would be sexual rumors going on about them when they pass 70 years old.

I think the American public has been pretty much inoculated against this stuff after suffering through the REAL THING with Bill "Blue Dress" Clinton for two terms.

I'd rather focus on the specifics of Obama's policies and how he intends to pay for all the freebees he's promising every man, woman and child; THAT'S reprehensible behaviour that will ruin a nation.

HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder1
Is it possible to impeach a presidential candidate?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:39 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Yeah, one would think a 40 year old woman would swoon over McCain
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge
You aren't a 40 year old woman.

When it is all said and done, it won't be about sex at all. If there is any story at all, it will be about perceived improprieties with a lobbiest.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:42 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
Yeah, one would think a 40 year old woman would swoon over McCain
Women swoon over powerful men all the time - even men 30 years their senior. I didn't say it was logical, after all.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:04 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
If its about sex between adults it absolutely doesn't matter.

Just ask any liberal.

NYT article on this non-subject http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=ht...Q2Bm1Q7BQ60E9W
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:09 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48

Just ask any liberal.
This liberal doesn't think it matters. Any impropriety should be between McCain, his wife and his mistress, - it should be no-one else's concern.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:17 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle
This liberal doesn't think it matters. Any impropriety should be between McCain, his wife and his mistress, - it should be no-one else's concern.
How much it matters is up to the individual voter. It appears that there was no sexual impropriety at all, and that some of the "reporting" is exagerating that component of the story with an eye to influencing an election.

If, on the other hand, McCain was guilty of allowing a personal relationship to influence his actions as an elected representative, the story is quite relevant and worthy of much attention. This is especially true in light of his public stance on lobbying in general and his personal history with the Keating affair.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:23 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
How much it matters is up to the individual voter. It appears that there was no sexual impropriety at all, and that some of the "reporting" is exagerating that component of the story with an eye to influencing an election.

If, on the other hand, McCain was guilty of allowing a personal relationship to influence his actions as an elected representative, the story is quite relevant and worthy of much attention. This is especially true in light of his public stance on lobbying in general and his personal history with the Keating affair.
In all honesty I haven't read the article - I saw "sex scandal" and assumed that someone is attempting to smear McCain, and as I said, even if he was having it away with Condoleeza Rice, I couldn't really care less, other than having to deal with throwing up a little.

If there was more to it, as there was with Wolfowitz giving nice promotions to his paramour, then yes, it's an issue, otherwise it's just a private matter.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:25 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48
He's right.
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:28 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle
In all honesty I haven't read the article - I saw "sex scandal" and assumed that someone is attempting to smear McCain, and as I said, even if he was having it away with Condoleeza Rice, I couldn't really care less, other than having to deal with throwing up a little.

If there was more to it, as there was with Wolfowitz giving nice promotions to his paramour, then yes, it's an issue, otherwise it's just a private matter.
For me, the sexual misconduct of an elected official will always be less important than his position or record on matters I consider more important. I do understand why it is more important to other voters, however - and can imagine sexual misconduct rising to a level that it would influence my vote. I only have one other point of disagreemnet with your post. Condi is hot.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:31 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Condi is hot.
Hot like a trip to the bathroom after a very spicy chili. Yup.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:42 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Interesting, MSNBC does not work correctly with Firefox so I popped over to CNN and their headlines are completely different. Often one news source looks much like another but not today.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Last edited by lakedude; Feb 20, 2008 at 08:57 PM.