Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:36 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Build Log
Embraer Tucano T-27

Hello All,

After so much reading and following the building´s steps from friends, I decided to start building my own project.The planes I built before were some Pipers, one Ugly Stick and a Gee Bee, all from Scotta, but in these cases, were not needed to draw a fuse with a knife, to sandpaper it a lot to get the real draw from the project, either cut with hot wire the wing, let´s say they were easiers projects to build, but wonderfull projects, so that I have all them at home!

The plane is the Embraer Tucano T-27. The theme I´ll use to paint is below, it´s from Air Academy Force, (AFA) from Brasil also. I used two "P3" foam pieces: 100 x 500 x 40mm for the wing and fuselage (a kind of harder foam,
there´s here in Brasil, more dense) and for the tail I used 5mm deprom. The fuse was made by two foam plates with 40mm each one, I printed the draw referring from the top and side´s fuselage and hot wired them to start shaping the fuse. After that, a very sharp knife to cut off a good part of foam, and then, a lot of work to do: sandpaper. As the fuse is in two pieces, the places for servos, battery and receiver were already made with knife, as well as the way from servos wire to reach the esc. I still need to make the firewall. The air duct - bellow the prop -, is already excavated and the exit´s air unit (under the fuse) also. It will keep the equipment inside the plane in a low temperature.

After all this process I applied mass for wall correction, to cover the imperfections. I´ve already finished both wing sides and in
the fuse i need to do one more hand, near the cockpit.

Both wing parts are ready fibered and needs to be glued each other. I will hold the wing in the fuse with screw and a pin.
The tail is ready to be instaled.

The pieces are not already glued, I put it together just to see how it looks!

Any suggestions are welcome!

Specifications:

Wingspan: 100mm
Lenght: 950mm
Weight: between 500 ~ 600gr
battery: Kokam 1500mah 3S
motor: AXI221220
prop: Accept sugestions
servos: HS-55
spinner: dubro 1.3/4"
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Last edited by Luis_Claudio; Feb 20, 2008 at 08:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:59 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Great Plane. I love the Tucano. Your looks real nice so far.

I had the oppurtunity of sitting into one some years ago at an air show. Tried to sweet talk the pilot into a ride (he was flying for the show)... didn't work lolll

I also have my own RC Tucano, different beast though. Balsa and ply, 1 meter, 260 watts of power, less than 2 pounds... move over honey!!!

I got some 3views of the markings for your particular scheme, but I can't make out the tiny details, especially in Brazilian. I can help you with a custom made high resolution decal sheet if you'd like and provide me with the details.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:10 PM
plane builder
Traveres City
Joined Apr 2006
175 Posts
WOW!!! Thats probly ranking in the top two best looking scratchbuilt foam airplanes i have ever seen. great work, if i could build as well as you could i wouldn't have to spend money on kits i cant wait to see the maiden video, (video's)
skaterkid65663 is offline Find More Posts by skaterkid65663
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:39 PM
Florianopolis - Brasil
Joined Oct 2007
1 Posts
Great job

I would like to see how you are going to put the servos and battery... post some pics when done

about the prop, you could use 8" or 9"... 9x3.8 would be great with this battery
eduardoaap is offline Find More Posts by eduardoaap
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:39 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
Luis_Claudio nice looking plane you have there. Good job.

One small request. I drew the Calvin picture and have let parkjets use it on their web site. If you don't mind please change your avatar.

Thanks
Tom
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:23 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Cubber,

I also love the Tucano! I have one that I bought some years ago. Thanks by your words! In this weekend I´ll keep on the building.

I already have the decals. I made it in corel draw and went to a bureau to print in adhesive paper (with colors) thanks a lot! But stay here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber
Great Plane. I love the Tucano. Your looks real nice so far.

I had the oppurtunity of sitting into one some years ago at an air show. Tried to sweet talk the pilot into a ride (he was flying for the show)... didn't work lolll

I also have my own RC Tucano, different beast though. Balsa and ply, 1 meter, 260 watts of power, less than 2 pounds... move over honey!!!

I got some 3views of the markings for your particular scheme, but I can't make out the tiny details, especially in Brazilian. I can help you with a custom made high resolution decal sheet if you'd like and provide me with the details.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:27 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Thank you so much my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterkid65663
WOW!!! Thats probly ranking in the top two best looking scratchbuilt foam airplanes i have ever seen. great work, if i could build as well as you could i wouldn't have to spend money on kits i cant wait to see the maiden video, (video's)
Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:41 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Thank you Eduardo! I´ll post soon more progress!

bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardoaap
Great job

I would like to see how you are going to put the servos and battery... post some pics when done

about the prop, you could use 8" or 9"... 9x3.8 would be great with this battery
Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:43 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Thanks a lot Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot
Luis_Claudio nice looking plane you have there. Good job.

One small request. I drew the Calvin picture and have let parkjets use it on their web site. If you don't mind please change your avatar.

Thanks
Tom
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:52 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
People, after a lot of sandpaper and fill, to take of all imperfections, bellow some pictures to show you how the painting is going. Still have to look at some tail´s places and repair, fill and paint, also in the cowl. I´ve already painted the wing´s downside (with the original color: orange). Still needs to paint the upside, put the adhesives - fuse and wing - and applly the varnish to complete the process. The canopy is installed but protected with tape.

Until now it the weight from fuse and wing is 337gr, I hope it´s okl Comments and tips are all wellcome!

Best regards!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:04 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Dude, this is an excellent build! You sure do got talent. Gives us something to strive for.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Mar 03, 2008, 10:00 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Thank you so much Rusty, take a look now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
Dude, this is an excellent build! You sure do got talent. Gives us something to strive for.
Old Mar 03, 2008, 10:05 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
All,

Here some progress in the painting. Still have to put the varnish, eletronics, motor and link the aileron, rudder and stabilizer.
Old Mar 03, 2008, 10:21 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
My planes look like a 3rd grader put them together by comparison. Great job, I do not have your patients. The downside is no one will believe it is scratchbuilt without some proof. If I may ask, how did you shape the plane to be even on each side? Sand, check, Sand etc? I am impressed you have skill. I hope it flies as good as it looks and that you never crash it.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old Mar 03, 2008, 10:50 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Beautiful build, Louis!

Quote:
My eight years old son playing with the thousands wrong pieces cutted by me!
I love the 1 sock look reminds me of when my son was younger
(also how they could sit like that for hours! hurts my arthritis just seeing the picture)
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond