Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:05 PM
Joined Nov 2007
75 Posts
Discussion
"crashable" landing gear - anyone know how?

I was thinking this would be the best forum to ask this question. I don't usually add gear to my scratch built planes but my newer WWI biplane just doesn't look right without wheels.

Since I am sorta newbie at RC, my landings are not pristine and I can feel the inevitable crash coming.

I have been bending my brain trying to come up with a method of attaching landing gear that won't rip out the foam when the inevitable "rough landing" occurs.

So if you have figured out some way to do this (I'm assuming rubber bands will be involved) please clue me in, I'm getting pretty frustrated trying to come up with something. A pic or 2 would be appreciated,

Thanks!
rotagen5 is offline Find More Posts by rotagen5
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:09 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Monobloc. Check out the BB thread. It's pretty rare to tear a LG out of one of those.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:30 PM
Joined Nov 2007
75 Posts
thanks

Hey thanks for your response, with my flying ability (or lack thereof) I am thinking that even with all that foam in a monoblock, I may be capable of cracking it.

Example fresh off the press: today I was flying my scratch build albatros diii, enjoying myself, it was flying stably and turning rapidly, and for the life of me I can't explain, took my eyes away for a second, looked again and it was heading for the ground, tried to pull up but no cigar. Hit wheels first - and the wheels tore out the whole midsection of fuse, repairable since it's fff, but a real pain.

tip stall? could be, since I have no dihedral, but i have ailerons and it was stable as heck a few seconds before and not windy....aaaaargh!

So I was thinking the best approach is to come up with some sort of gear that will bend before the foam does.

I found this method (in case anyone else is interested) but I think it may be a bit heavy for my needs, possibly I can modify it so that I'm using less wood.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=113292

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=113294

Anyone else with a method please chime in, thanks again.
rotagen5 is offline Find More Posts by rotagen5
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:45 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,447 Posts
If you dig back through the Blubaby thread, you will find that several of us also unaccomplished landers have used Tony's monobloc with the addition of reinforcement in the landing gear slot (folded plastic piece, and face plate of a slot in a credit card that the gear fits up in, and is removeable. It works for me as I fly off grass/weeds, and often come in such that the gear gets bent back. I originally glued it in per plans, but now do the removeable so I can bend the wires straight easier when the wheels get too far aft.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2008, 09:46 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
bad drawings of some gear. All helped with rubberbands. Dowels are brown. creditcard or ply support squares.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:38 AM
AKA FlyGuy172
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jan 2008
141 Posts
Why not just use a thin piano wire? It will serve no function but it will look good in the air.
skyranger93 is offline Find More Posts by skyranger93
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:44 AM
Time for another motto!
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2006
1,413 Posts
You are trying to build to crash, not to fly. That makes for heavy planes that fly like a cow (if you keep beefing them up). You have accepted that learning to fly involves crashing once in a while. If those crashes would not involve some damage, the thrill of flying would be a lot less. So just accept that a crash means a chance of repairs, that will keep you on your toes when the ground comes near.
JelleB is offline Find More Posts by JelleB
Old Feb 19, 2008, 05:01 AM
Trying to build & to fly
Italy
Joined Sep 2007
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelleB
You are trying to build to crash, not to fly. That makes for heavy planes that fly like a cow (if you keep beefing them up). You have accepted that learning to fly involves crashing once in a while. If those crashes would not involve some damage, the thrill of flying would be a lot less. So just accept that a crash means a chance of repairs, that will keep you on your toes when the ground comes near.
wise man.
tacchino is offline Find More Posts by tacchino
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:49 AM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
well said JelleB.
as for me no lg......less stuff to tear off....thus i have to learn how to do a very gentle belly landing...slowws down really quick.
as for having lg, i had an a-10 with lg but can't seem to stop where i want it to stop ended up hitting some obstacles to halt my movement.

as for the mono block i have tried it and it's a very sturdy design. broke the wing, fuse, tail, motor.....but lg is still in the same 'ol spot unscathe
good luck
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:21 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Smkn, Landing is part of flying. Learning to land where you want the plane is just another part of it.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:51 AM
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
On a couple of my planes, I have used these shock absorbing wheels from GWS. They're very springy and light though not very scale looking. Coupled with a prop saver, they have kept my Hacker Super Zoom 4d (AUW of about a pound) pretty safe when landing hard - and I DO land hard all the tme, LOL. As an added bonus, my pnaes can take off from grassy fields where planes with smaller wheels would have gotten tangled.
Cheekers is offline Find More Posts by Cheekers
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:12 AM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
between us.....the plane lands where it is because it was my intent.....he he he lol...well at least my kids believe it...
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:41 AM
German Engineering.......
Auxsburg
Joined Dec 2007
448 Posts
you need a "predetermined breaking point".

build your landing gear and just fix it with magnets or veryvery small screws or rubberbands or sth like this. maybe a small dot of adhesive (ca...)

if you crash, you only have to exchange the braking parts and you are airborne minutes later.
HugePanic is offline Find More Posts by HugePanic
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:42 AM
Joined Mar 2007
427 Posts
try thin strips of aluminum available at Lowe's or Home Depot in the hardware section. attach a strip to a block of pink stuff, bend gear from another strip, and use some 4-40 or smaller nuts & bolts to mate them and make the gear removable. works great on a BigNasty and bends, saving the foam, on hard landings.
kev0383 is offline Find More Posts by kev0383
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:50 AM
Joined Jan 2007
26 Posts
landing gear

Here is my suggestion...........Use bamboo skewers for the struts. Roll paper tubes to fit skewers using glue for rolling. Mount tubes in fuselage securely.
Wheel axles are attached with thread and glue to skewer. Make two, or three sets and when the skewer breaks replace with a spare. Be sure to cut a
notch in skewer so that it wil break below the tube exit. and be easy to extract the stub.
Another idea is to use "soft steel wire" such as welding rod, to make the gear. When it is deformed,it wil be easy to reshape.
Donald Santee is offline Find More Posts by Donald Santee