HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2008, 01:57 PM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
Discussion
How good to I have to be on Clearview before...

Ok, been flying Clearview a LOT; still have a ton to learn of course but when will I KNOW it's time to consider going the next step beyond a Co-ax Lama in the real world? I've been flying the Hughes 500 for the big helos (LOVE IT) and Blade CX, easy and normal T-Rex and tried just about all the others but these have been what I've been messing with. I can really zip around in the 500 outside, inside in the Gym settings I'm working on the CX and 'getting there' but I've still got a ways to go.

So, when will I be ready for prime time to get my next helo? Do I go Fixed Pitch and then sell it once I've got the hang of it or do I go for a CP? In the sim I can't really tell the difference but I'm sure that won't be the case in the real world?

Hey, just thinking out loud. I don't ever plan to be doing Extreme 3D stuff, I'm a plinker and just enjoy zipping and zooming around, BUT I want to be able to put the helo where I want it, how I want it so used older T-Rex, HoneyBee FP or CP, what will be stable enough to learn on but still fun to fly outside?

Yep, dreaming on a cold, windy and snowy February day is what I'm doing... And now back to Clearview flying!
Drew816 is offline Find More Posts by Drew816
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2008, 02:53 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew816
Ok, been flying Clearview a LOT; still have a ton to learn of course but when will I KNOW it's time to consider going the next step beyond a Co-ax Lama in the real world? I've been flying the Hughes 500 for the big helos (LOVE IT) and Blade CX, easy and normal T-Rex and tried just about all the others but these have been what I've been messing with. I can really zip around in the 500 outside, inside in the Gym settings I'm working on the CX and 'getting there' but I've still got a ways to go.

So, when will I be ready for prime time to get my next helo? Do I go Fixed Pitch and then sell it once I've got the hang of it or do I go for a CP? In the sim I can't really tell the difference but I'm sure that won't be the case in the real world?

Hey, just thinking out loud. I don't ever plan to be doing Extreme 3D stuff, I'm a plinker and just enjoy zipping and zooming around, BUT I want to be able to put the helo where I want it, how I want it so used older T-Rex, HoneyBee FP or CP, what will be stable enough to learn on but still fun to fly outside?

Yep, dreaming on a cold, windy and snowy February day is what I'm doing... And now back to Clearview flying!
Just my opinion, but I find the CP helis easier to fly that the FP because they will not just fall out of the sky when you reduce throttle. Its easier for me because I can keep the head speed up and control the heli with the various pitch settings. The larger the heli, the more stable it will be but also the more expensive. A 450 size should do you just fine to learn.I learned on a Belt CP and T-Rex 450. I just bought a Copter X V2 450 which is a T-Rex clone but cheaper. You can also put T Rex parts on it from the local HS if you need them immediately otherwise you get parts from China. Here is what shipped with the CopterX and including all carbon blades, paddles motor, esc and case was about 385.00 with shipping. The base price for the carbon and ally heli V2 model is 189.00 by itself. The T-Rex will NOT fit in the ally case it comes with once built but the Copter X does. The canopy is a T-Rex 450 one I bought from HeliHobby.com
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Feb 18, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 03:05 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
476 Posts
Drew,
where did you get clearview sim? Is it free or do you have to buy it?
I've just been using the FMS sim.

Well, as for me -- I just ordered a HBFP and will be ordering the superskids for it as well. I figure I will learn off a $88 unit and crash the hell out of it -- then upgrade to a blade 400 or something similar. Parts for the HBFP is cheap compare to the bigger cp helis.
Seems like we are on the same track. Reading your past post -- you started with the reflex and moved up with a v3/v4 unit. did the same thing .
I'll see you in the micro heli area soon!!
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449
Old Feb 18, 2008, 03:50 PM
Keep the Rotors Spinning!
Downers Grove,Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449
Drew,
where did you get clearview sim? Is it free or do you have to buy it?
I've just been using the FMS sim.

Well, as for me -- I just ordered a HBFP and will be ordering the superskids for it as well. I figure I will learn off a $88 unit and crash the hell out of it -- then upgrade to a blade 400 or something similar. Parts for the HBFP is cheap compare to the bigger cp helis.
Seems like we are on the same track. Reading your past post -- you started with the reflex and moved up with a v3/v4 unit. did the same thing .
I'll see you in the micro heli area soon!!
We must all be tired of winter, seems we r ALL thinking along the same lines....I am ready to move outside also and was wondering the same things...Where did u get the sim and what about a cp heli for outside,falcon,blade cp???
hcopter51 is offline Find More Posts by hcopter51
Old Feb 18, 2008, 04:16 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Clearview is $40 from www.rcflightsim.com
rawfuls is offline Find More Posts by rawfuls
Old Feb 18, 2008, 04:40 PM
Downers Grove,Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls
Clearview is $40 from www.rcflightsim.com
Thanks rawfuls, do u know if this will work with the tx supplied with fms? John
Old Feb 18, 2008, 04:42 PM
Downers Grove,Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
251 Posts
Whoops, sorry, I believe the web site says YES....Thanks again,John
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:21 AM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
Yes, Clearview will work with the E-Sky Tx and the connector cable thingie that came with a V3-V4 series helo; works great actually! $40 WELL spent, I wished I'd known about Clearview before as I was getting frustrated as heck with other programs I tried.

Thanks for the replies, that Copter X looks great; how does it fly? Humm...
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:55 AM
Joined Dec 2007
6,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew816
Yes, Clearview will work with the E-Sky Tx and the connector cable thingie that came with a V3-V4 series helo; works great actually! $40 WELL spent, I wished I'd known about Clearview before as I was getting frustrated as heck with other programs I tried.

Thanks for the replies, that Copter X looks great; how does it fly? Humm...
They flight great. You will find all sorts of threads in the mini heli forum that love them
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:29 AM
Downers Grove,Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
251 Posts
Xrayted: U say U started on a belt cp...What would u reccommend to go to after coaxials? Thanks,John
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:42 AM
Joined Dec 2007
6,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcopter51
Xrayted: U say U started on a belt cp...What would u reccommend to go to after coaxials? Thanks,John
The only models I have owned are the Belt CP, T-Rex and Copter X which is the same thing as the T Rex. I dont have near the different model experience that some of these other guys have that have flown everything out there. I thought my Belt CP was a great choice to learn on. Its cheap and flys really well as long as you use good electronics and a good gyro. I would not buy a RTF kit because they are never RTF and the electronics that come with them can be sub par. Buy a kit and build it yourself to learn how all the parts work together for your first model. With that being said the Trex and others are in league all their own but are much more expensive. They have direct servo to swash connections rather than bell crank type connections so they are built in a more simple fasion. This equals less connections and more precise control and movement. The main shaft gears and most parts are all pretty much stronger on these helis as well. You will most likely not notice this too much unless you are flying 3D so I would worry about this yet if you are learning. I chose the Belt to start because it was the closest in size to the higher end 450 size helis and the larger the heli, the more stable it hovers. Smaller, cheaper CP helis do not have much mass and can be quite a challenge to fly at first. I also have a Walkera 4&3 which is a palm sized FP heli and it is one of the most difficult helis for me to fly!!!
Just my opinion from my own experience but I'm sure there a lot of guys out there with great suggestions for a first CP heli
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:19 PM
Downers Grove,Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
251 Posts
Thanks Xrayted..Ya, there r as many opinions as there r helis,Ha! OK, I don't want to hijack the thread...just thought I'd ask ur opinion..I built a gas heli years ago, had it trimmed by a friend and just hovered it...A hirobo shuttle, nice bird...Then quit 4 a few years and now getting back into it but with electrics,not gas...I learned the hard way that rtf is NOT rtf...Am looking for someone who tests each one BEFORE shipping....Thanks again,John
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:23 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcopter51
Thanks Xrayted..Ya, there r as many opinions as there r helis,Ha! OK, I don't want to hijack the thread...just thought I'd ask ur opinion..I built a gas heli years ago, had it trimmed by a friend and just hovered it...A hirobo shuttle, nice bird...Then quit 4 a few years and now getting back into it but with electrics,not gas...I learned the hard way that rtf is NOT rtf...Am looking for someone who tests each one BEFORE shipping....Thanks again,John
I agree with what I saw another in the forum say....RTF stands for ready to fix!!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:08 PM
Downers Grove,Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
I agree with what I saw another in the forum say....RTF stands for ready to fix!!
AMEN Brotha.....I meant to add also that I would rather stay away from ESKY products...Have had nothing but problems with their products....cu,John
Old May 01, 2008, 12:44 PM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
One month after my maiden flight on my T-Rex 450 I thought I'd update the crew here, it CAN be done and YOU can do it! I've had two crashes in a month, both rookie mistakes (one getting blown by the wind and the helo was turned around and I just screwed up, the other I mis-judged distance and put it into a tree reminding me I need to schedule my next eye appointment) but I can hover tail on with no problems, flying in pretty heavy winds, working on off axis hovering, a little forward flight, landing, etc.

I spent quite a few hours on the sim' beforehand, but not THAT many and with the T-Rex model pararmeters below I just kept at it and then finally fired it up and off we go.

Go get Jackomeister's CopterX parameters file from the beginning of the below listed thread; his write up and information on this is Post 1655 and a bit of discussion on and around there. My T-Rex's both fly REAAALLL close to these parameters, mine are a little more slow to respond (using 335 blades, flybar weights and heavier paddles) but other then that you can't get much better then this!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9359793

I went from a Lama V4 to a T-Rex 450 (I now have two, #2 is for a scale build project); the learning curve on how to build and understand this size helo was bigger then the learning to fly aspects in my opinion; but two months after starting I understand about 85% of what all these guys talk about, I've built (and rebuilt!) two T-Rex's with the Finless Bob videos and I'm having a blast! My Lama's don't get much use anymore but they're still good for orientation training and indoor fun.

So if you're thinking about it I say stop thinking and start DOING!!! There are other good options out there too that are not quite as expensive as a T-Rex, Blade 400, CopterX, and all the other T-Rex 450 copies but like any of these buggers they do have their own 'issues' so be prepared to read, post and learn. For me an Align 450 was the way to go as I have two really good shops with several very serious experts at each, full supply of parts with prices right on or very close to the best prices you can find online so pick appropriately for your situation; but do it!

Happy Flying!