HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2003, 04:16 PM
Troy, Michigan
Joined Jan 2003
16 Posts
1/96 scale Torpedos

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any 1/96 scale propel torpedo designs or kits you can purchase. I was thinking about designing some for my new Thor Sturgeon class boat.

Thanks,
Tom
Mihelich is offline Find More Posts by Mihelich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2003, 10:18 PM
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2000
2,545 Posts
I made some 1/32nd scale for my U-Boat. Pretty neat wow effect but a pain in the ***. I used some hollow aluminum tube,glued in a aluminum rod with a hole drilled though and added a shraeder valve. My front wtc has a spare servo I used to pull a pin out the rear of the torp sending it on its way. Go to RC_submarines.tripod. Look around and you will see plans for a propel type which I use. I got pics and all just let me know.
JIMJAM is offline Find More Posts by JIMJAM
Old Jan 02, 2003, 10:22 PM
Joined Feb 2000
2,545 Posts
The pic is an early operational mock up. When the pushrod pulls back, it pulls the pins out the torpedoes releasing the gas. Each ring attached to the end of the pin are at different lenghts so I can fire off each one at a time. Here is a pic of a earlier torp.
Old Jan 03, 2003, 07:58 PM
Troy, Michigan
Joined Jan 2003
16 Posts
Thanks for the reply JimJam.

It will be quite a feet to make 1/96 scale torpedos work right.
I have just created some Catia (cad) solid models and at 1/4" diameter, it is the same size as a Schrader valve itself minus the theaded valve stem. Very light weight aluminum is in order here with as minimal floatation as possible. I will post some pic's of my design this weekend. It is the same basic concept as everyone else that uses the propel gas theory. But I have a little (and I mean little) cleaner package.

Tom
Old Jan 03, 2003, 09:42 PM
Joined Feb 2000
2,545 Posts
Its a real hassle to get the torpedo and its delivery system to work consistantly. Also kinda scary toting around a charged torp waiting to go off. The only reason I attemped it was to please my freinds. I go on and on about how complex my sub is, how many gizmos and thingies it has and how scale it is. But the first thing people say is, " Cool, but will it shoot torpedoes?"
Old Jan 03, 2003, 10:31 PM
Troy, Michigan
Joined Jan 2003
16 Posts
Ya gotta try.
Old Jan 06, 2003, 09:40 AM
Western Australia Perth
Joined Jul 2002
31 Posts
Gas Torpedo's

You could try using the body of a small pen blow torch from an automotive store as they already have a filler valve fitted to them.
They are also smaller in size than the 1/32 scale torpedo's
Regards Keith
U-96 is offline Find More Posts by U-96
Old May 30, 2004, 03:58 PM
Got CAD ?
Canada
Joined Mar 2004
689 Posts
I read about these in a magazine and the article mentioned when you put your sub into the water since it is colder the pieces contract and the torpedo could "cook off" by accident.

Never point your sub towards anyone it could be very embarrasing / dangerous if you torpedo someone.
PLANE FREAK is offline Find More Posts by PLANE FREAK
Old May 30, 2004, 08:31 PM
Joined Feb 2000
2,545 Posts
Overall I felt it just was not worth the hassle both in setup, torp construction,filling them and chasing them down and getting wet. Most run propel but I adapted my sub and torps to use the stuff you blow electronics off with under various names like Dust Off. Propel is expensive and sometimes hard to get unless you order it. You can easily find this stuff everywhere and runs $4 or less a can. I do not think my torps had the velocity to hurt anyone but watching that liquid money spew out the backs of em hurt my wallet.
Old May 31, 2004, 08:11 AM
Suspended Account
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Mar 2004
498 Posts
http://www.rc-submarines.com/id47.htm
Merriman is offline Find More Posts by Merriman
Old Oct 04, 2005, 01:02 PM
Apple Valley, MN 55124
Joined Aug 2003
66 Posts
Or; if to amuse your pals a Timex will do, in lieu of a Swiss watch...

http://www.rc-submarines.com/id284.htm

TMSmalley is offline Find More Posts by TMSmalley
Last edited by TMSmalley; Oct 04, 2005 at 01:04 PM. Reason: add jpeg