SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2003, 12:06 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I need something that will fly low & Slow - Any Recommends?

Due to my shrinking flying field, I need a slowflyer that will fly Low & Slow & can turn easily in a small area but still slowly. Any Recommends? How about the Mini IFO? The lowest Slowest plane I have tried so far is my Lightstick with the Pico Pack, is there anything slower?

-Thanks-
Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2003, 03:08 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,714 Posts
Why is the field shrinking? I was going to say Tigermoth, but doubt it is slower than a lightstick. The moth does turn pretty sharp and you can easily fly it in a small area.

-Jon
echoplanar is online now Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Jan 01, 2003, 03:21 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Reportedly the GymE from Todds Models is much slower and more manueverable than a Litestik.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 01, 2003, 03:43 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,525 Posts
I'll have to recommend the Tiger Moth. I fly in a fairly small area sometimes, and it is stable and very forgiving. There are a zillion mods to it here on the Zone too.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Jan 01, 2003, 03:56 PM
Bloomington, IL (Hell's Cornfield)
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
My vote goes for Gym-E. It's highly maneuverable and flies like it's on rails. I fly it both indoors and outdoors.

Indoors, you can (fairly) easily fly through doorways. No problem outdoors either, flying it around trees, mailboxes, etc with great confidence.

One caveat: aerobatics are pretty much limited to diving loops.

Karl
theKAT is offline Find More Posts by theKAT
Old Jan 01, 2003, 04:01 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
Tigermoth!

It flies very easily in my cul-de-sac and in the road

Best Regards

Paul

www.canadianmodelsupply.com
-GWS ARFs and Electronics
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Jan 01, 2003, 04:43 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
My field is "Skrinking" because the Church that owns the property built a small church on one corner of the property so now I have less area to fly in but by moving back away from the building, I think I can gain some space without hitting the church. This like an All Denomination (Hippie?) church so they could care less if I fly there & Cops can't bother me as it's private property.
-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jan 01, 2003, 05:06 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,960 Posts
Small space ?

IFO for sure
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Old Jan 01, 2003, 06:26 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Gym-E! It will easily fly in half the area that the Tiger Moth will (I know, I have both of them, but the TM doesn't get flown much any more). Mods not required.

For aerobatics, the Todd's Models Tiny-X flies in nearly the same space as the Gym-E and a smaller space than the TM, or the IFO (though it looks like a kite to me.....)
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 03, 2003, 09:22 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
try these!!!

check out the small lightweight flyers at www.FoamFly.com/gallery /glens planes most all ,especially the Bullseye and Spaghetti StrateauX will work for your slow, confined area needs .......I fly mine in my driveway and can fly "control line style "around myself till I get dizzy....best of all, these planes are easy and VERY inexpensive to construct......most in an hour or two!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Jan 03, 2003, 11:14 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Gym-E! Absolutely! Check out this video to see the Gym-E in action

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jan 03, 2003, 12:02 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
No one recommended the Slow Stick, so I will. "What, is that you say, it takes a large field...Pffft, nonsense!, I fly mine in a Gym!"

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Jan 03, 2003, 01:37 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
I fly my tigermoth in my front yard. I actually race it around my neighbors and my mail box for impromptu pylon racing. The tigermoth can easily be handled in a small area. The litestik or at least my lite stik does not turn nearly as quickly as my tigermoth. I dont have experience with a tiny or gym-e so cant compare them.
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Old Jan 03, 2003, 01:42 PM
Oxymoron: Rap Music
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer
Gym-E! Absolutely! Check out this video to see the Gym-E in action

Martin
u have an awesome taste of music!! cool plane 2

GForce
GForceStress is offline Find More Posts by GForceStress
Old Jan 03, 2003, 02:42 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
mrebman - I fly my Slow Stick in as little space as 30' clearing. That is enough space to do figure 8's at about 1/2 throttle (5mph) and 10' high. Then firewall it and climb out at a 60+degree angle.

So far my favorite low slow flyer is the Carbon Falcon from Ace Sim. All carbon fibre and ripstop nylon with a unique wing warping for control. It is very responsive and smooth on the controls. It is a bit pricey at $150 but it comes with $50 worth of servos so it is in line with the UFO in cost.

Pic of the CF low
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason