HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:14 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2 Posts
Help!
Charging NiMH packs with Swallow EQ Charger

Hi - I am new to the rc game and would appreciate some assistance. I have 6 cell 4500 mah packs - 7,2V. What settings do I use on my swallow charger:
1 - Is charge rate of 4,5a okay?
2 - Is discharge rate of 1.0a okay?
3 - Is NiMH delta-peak-volt = 3mV/cell okay?
4 - The packs are brand new - so what is the procedure to correctly cycle the packs before use?
5 - Once the packs are in use what is the correct maintenance cycle - ie - do I need to discharge the packs before charging them even though they have run flat through normal usage and how do I trickle charge the packs and how often should this be done?
lobel is offline Find More Posts by lobel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:50 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
695 Posts
Hello,

The first charge on a Nimh pack should be what is known as a forming charge and it is normally done at 1/10 of what the pack's capacity is in Amp hours. In your case, the 4500 mah pack would dictate a forming charge rate of 450 mah. This first charge will take about 14-16 hours since charging is not 100% efficient.

Setting the peak detection at 3 mv I think is appropriate. This is what I have been using on my Triton for quite some time and it seems to work well. The batteries are warm at the end of the charge, but not hot.

After the forming charge, charging the pack at 4.5 amps would be a good idea for the first 5 or so cycles. After that, you can increase it to 6-7 amps. The first few discharge cycles should also be gentle and I believe that 1 amp will work, although it will take quite awhile.

Good luck,

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru