HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:07 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
New CG

Doing some maintenance on the Pawnee, I checked where my CG was as I never changed it since the first flight. Originally set it up at the most forward CG point and wanted to get it at 3". I would have had to add quite a lot of lead to the tail and decided to change battery position. I was able to move my battery 2 1/4" aft and remove about 3 or 4 oz. of lead from the tail with the CG set at 3" Also moved my BEC behind the CG. Built a "seat" for the new location and looking forward to flying tomorrow.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:03 PM
Jason Sosa now a DLG junkie
United States, AL, Clanton
Joined Aug 2010
55 Posts
Was just given a used Pawnee, it had a saito 4 stroke in it but that wasn't included. Servos are in place so I just got to add a new power system and a receiver. I will be using this for aerotowing easy glider pros, cularis, and maybe upto 4m gliders. So I am thinking of going with a power60 or equivalent and use two 3s 4000 in series to have 6s at 4000mah. Want to stay at 6s so I can use 3s packs that I already have. Just got to pick out esc and prop. I typically fly at sod farms and the landing strips are not always that smooth and the grass height is often 3" in height. Thinking I may need to go with a 3 blade prop for Clarence. Anyway I haven't finished reading all theses pages yet sure I will get some insight on what prop to run once I finish reading. Just excited to get this plane towing.
evel_knievel34 is offline Find More Posts by evel_knievel34
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:36 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
912 Posts
You guys are having way too much fun with this plane!

I think that I'll try a Power 60 and 6S with mine. Should easily carry 10,000 mAh.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:56 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Update on the 3" CG. Flew yesterday in wind changing direction every couple of minutes so not so good of a test. I have flown this plane in worse conditions and it was pretty stable, the new CG is not so stable. I am going to remove all the tail weight which will put it right at 2.75". At least I got to make it a bit lighter.

Harry
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:00 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuest3141 View Post
You guys are having way too much fun with this plane!

I think that I'll try a Power 60 and 6S with mine. Should easily carry 10,000 mAh.
That is going to be a heavy battery. I am using a Power 60 on 6S 5800 and get about 15 minutes and can push it to 18 if I go easy and always returning with 20% in the battery.

Harry
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:34 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I have my CG at 3/1/8" form the L.E. and a 5000/6S lipo sideways just ahead of the servo's up against the bulkhead the struts tie to. It is on the $ for me. I have a good size 5065 (P80) motor and 100amp ESC under the cowl. This plane is capable of carrying even more weight. Dave/ZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:13 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,397 Posts
A question for those in the know, i am about to start the build of my H9 Pawnee and will be setting it up for Aero towing. What size motor would i need to accomplish this task? i see a lot going for the e-flite 60 size, has anyone done Aero Tow with this motor? Or would i be better going with the e-flite 90? Or is there another motor that might be a little cheaper than the e-flite ones that will do the job too, eg Turnigy G60 or G110? any help on motor selection would be appreciated thanks

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:24 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Chuck, I was following a thread on a Wilga where some were using the Tacon motor. Might want to look into it.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564332

Harry
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:26 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
912 Posts
This is a big plane and has a lot of wing. It will easily carry 10,000 mAh of 4S batteries.
But with the 6S batteries, I think that I'll use 2 x 3700 mAh batteries.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:11 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,853 Posts
I am sure it will fly with all the extra weight. However lighter flies different, usually better, unless you need the penetration for wind.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:18 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I think it would fly with a brick attached to it but would fly like a pig with wings

Harry
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:27 PM
Granby,Quebec,Canada
Joined Aug 2009
145 Posts
Hi,how do i reverse the shaft on the power 60 to put a http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...52-60-EFLM1934

thank you
*Voodoo* is offline Find More Posts by *Voodoo*
Last edited by *Voodoo*; Jun 26, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:20 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Here you go.

Reversing the Shaft:
This Outrunner motor has a shaft, which exits through the rotating part of the motor. If you want to reverse the shaft to exit through the fixed part of the motor, follow these instructions carefully for changing the shaft installation.
1. Loosen the set screw on the shaft collar and remove the collar from its location against the bearing.
2. Remove the small black donut washer that rests against the bearing.
3. Loosen the two set screws in the rotating part of the motor.
4. Slide the shaft through the motor. It may be necessary to use a small hammer to lightly tap the shaft. It is very important that
you do not bend the shaft in this process so use extreme caution to assure this does not happen.
5. Re-install the donut washer against the bearing.
6. Re-install the shaft collar back against the washer and bearing.
7. Retighten all setscrews making sure you line up with the flat spot on the shaft.

Harry
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:35 PM
Granby,Quebec,Canada
Joined Aug 2009
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
Here you go.

Reversing the Shaft:
This Outrunner motor has a shaft, which exits through the rotating part of the motor. If you want to reverse the shaft to exit through the fixed part of the motor, follow these instructions carefully for changing the shaft installation.
1. Loosen the set screw on the shaft collar and remove the collar from its location against the bearing.
2. Remove the small black donut washer that rests against the bearing.
3. Loosen the two set screws in the rotating part of the motor.
4. Slide the shaft through the motor. It may be necessary to use a small hammer to lightly tap the shaft. It is very important that
you do not bend the shaft in this process so use extreme caution to assure this does not happen.
5. Re-install the donut washer against the bearing.
6. Re-install the shaft collar back against the washer and bearing.
7. Retighten all setscrews making sure you line up with the flat spot on the shaft.

Harry
Great Thank you
*Voodoo* is offline Find More Posts by *Voodoo*
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Do you already have the motor mounted? I want to get the same prop adaptor, just wondering what the difference in standoff distance will be.

Harry