HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2012, 08:50 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Thanks. As a last minute thing I was looking at the new OS motors. Either the 5020-490 or 5025-375. I have been wondering about these new motors. The only problem is the X-mount holes are 58mm. A little to large for the holes on the Pawnee. Good ol Eflite/Hanger9 seems to always make things just a little off so you have to stick with their brand. I guess I am back to the Power60
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest radio lineup
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 08:56 PM
Granby,Quebec,Canada
Joined Aug 2009
145 Posts
What size pilot did you guys end up using???i'm having a hard time finding one that fits nicely.
*Voodoo* is offline Find More Posts by *Voodoo*
Old May 12, 2012, 09:28 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,518 Posts
I ended up using a 1/6 scale off ebay. WWII but still looks cool. Just need to get him some pants. Good figures here http://www.monkeydepot.com/

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old May 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Harry

Did you secure your canopy with those button head screws? Or are they just for looks?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 11:55 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,518 Posts
The screws do hold down the canopy. If memory serves me correct, I added some balsa on each side to screw into.

Harry
Old May 23, 2012, 01:06 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
I almost have my Pawnee ready to go. I ended up using a Turnigy 5055-580 just because I had it laying around the shop. Using an ICE 75 and 14x7x3 prop on 5S 5000 yields about 1200 watts. It has lots of pull!

Barbie dolls are roughly 1/6 scale. I had to cut the middle section about 1/2" in order to make him fit under the canopy. I just need to find some clothes for the doll. Looking forward to flying soon!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 04:31 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
After a long time I have finally been able to pick up one of these for myself. I have been flying a H9/P-51 40 size for a while with a really nice power setup in it. In the 51 I have a 6S/4200, 100amp ESC, 7.5UBEC and a 5065/410Kv motor. This setup gives the 51 all the performance you would want, but I want more. So, I am going to put my 51 setup in the Pawnee as I know what I have and what to expect. It won't be over or under powered, but just right. I also used HS-225BB servos in the 51 and have been more than happy with them. So I'm good! A proven setup on a warbird, a fast one! I will put a new 600Kv motor in the 51 for more happy smiles!!!!! Dave/Zee .......
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:11 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Got some more flights in yesterday. It flies real nice. I'll be adding a tow hook soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:22 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,518 Posts
I like the way you mounted your battery. Nice field too!

Harry
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:33 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Thanks. It's still just a tad bit nose heavy even with the battery that far back. Once I add the additional servo for the tow hook behind the canopy it should be better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Hey guys, my Pawnee will be here Mon. and would like to know if the HS-225BB servos I have on the ailerons and flaps of my 60" H9/P-51 will do the job flying the Piper. I have 2 DS-821's for the rudder and elevator on my Mustang for ease of installation more than anything else. As above I will use the 5065/410kv motor and 6S 4200 pack. What would be a good 3 blade prop? Is there anything else to know? Thanks, Dave/ZEE BTW, next month I will refit the 51 for more speed!!
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:39 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Hey guys, my Pawnee will be here Mon. and would like to know if the HS-225BB servos I have on the ailerons and flaps of my 60" H9/P-51 will do the job flying the Piper. I have 2 DS-821's for the rudder and elevator on my Mustang for ease of installation more than anything else. As above I will use the 5065/410kv motor and 6S 4200 pack. What would be a good 3 blade prop? Is there anything else to know? Thanks, Dave/ZEE BTW, next month I will refit the 51 for more speed!!
If it were me I would put JR 821 $29 digitals on the P51 & move the 225 to the Pawnee. I think you would instantly see a big difference to the P51, more so if you get a fast frame rate Rx
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:49 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Just looked at the specs on the servos again. Still think you'll be fine with the 225BB's in the wing and the 821's in the tail. I would run them at 6volts though just to be sure. The 225's should give 67oz at 6v. That should be plenty for easy flying.
I'm running the MAS 14x9x3 on mine and like I said it's less speed than the 2 blade I run on the mustang. I would prefer a 15x8x3, but MAS doesn't offer one. I've been looking at the Xoar props lately and noticed they make the 15" 3blade in several pitches up to 8. Thing is they are hard to find and fairly expensive. So if I really want to try an 15x8x3 my easiest option is still to cut down an 16x8x3MAS. I may do that if I decide to swap the main gear for the 1/4 scale, but for now the 14" works best at my field. Never know how long the grass is going to be so a little extra clearence is a good thing. I can always throttle back to keep the speed down and flight times longer. Weight really doesn't seem to be an issue with this one. (other than getting the cg right) it has the wing area and control surface to glide for ever, or with flaps down and a bit of throttle to fly at a jogging pace, or slower. I HATE to run so my jog is pretty slow I know I need to get mine out more. It's a nice change of pace from the Warbirds I usually fly. I keep thinking I want to get an 80" or bigger cub for relaxing evening or early morning flying. Then it dawns on me I basically have one in the Pawnee, it's just a low wing.
The 40% CARF Carbon Cub that one of the guys has at the field still makes me dream of a Giant scale though. Then the $price tag shows up and bursts that bubble. I know I have WAY more than that in my fleet, but at the moment I guess I would rather have 7/$1,000 planes than 1/$7,000.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:57 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
So you are telling me that the HS-225BB servos will do the trick in the Piper? Great! I don't believe I will be resurecting the P-51. I got it in March and have only flown it maybe 8 times and just don't feel comfortable flying it, although every flight has been perfect in every way. It is way fast, but flys great. Whats up with that So with that said I will put the HS-225BB's on aileron and flaps and the DS-821's on rudder and elevator. Is there anything else I might need to know before it flys? Dave/ZZEE
Last edited by zeezee; Jun 01, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Time for me to get to work... Just rolled in and in great shape. I little iron work and I'm good to go, man it's big.....Dave/ZEE