HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:04 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,260 Posts
Decided to stick with the P-46 for a while longer. Got 5 more flights in on it this morning and think I'll stick with the P-46 a while longer. Dead calm winds at 8am made for some really nice flying. Is it just me or does this thing REALLY not like going inverted? I don't even like to try a roll unless I have a couple hundred feet to play with. Not that it takes all that long to recover if it does stall, just not what I used to at all I guess.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
Litchfield Park
Joined Dec 2008
120 Posts
When mine is upside down I have a huge amount of forward stick to keep it from falling out of the sky. For rolls try using the rudder to help it around and when inverted push the stick forward then release again when it comes back around.

Being a big flat bottom wing you are right it really does not like to be upside down.

Cheers
AZThud is offline Find More Posts by AZThud
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:40 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZThud View Post
Thanks nice looking work!

Cheers
Your comment is greatly appreciated

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:02 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
My 15e Pawnee was the same way. I enjoyed pounding touch n' go's with it though. Even better on skiis!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,260 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation guys. I guess that's one scale aspect they hit on the head. Somehow I don't think the full size was happy upside down either.

Looks like my field has grounded yet another till repairs and mods are done. Couldn't ask for better flying conditions then we have here today, but after landing on flight #2 for the day the tail looked a little low when I was bouncing back to the pits. stopped at the flight line and noticed the tailwheel hanging out the right side of the plane. Since it is still stuck up in the rudder I didn't loose it completely, but to put it back in the rudder would have to come off. It broke the epoxy loose in the rudder so it will come the rest of the way out without removing anything. I think I'll take this as a sign and go ahead with the 1/4 scale Cub gear including tailwheel. Then while I'm at it go ahead and go to the P-60. What a bummer. I had already grounded my retract planes till the field gets rolled, now I can't even fly the Pawnee till repairs are done.

AZThud: You didn't happen to scan your templates into a computer filed did you?

EDIT: Thank God for 6minute epoxy, and dumb luck. The little plastic tab on the stock tailwheel just pulled out of the fuse. Other than a little scuff on the bottom of the elevator no harm done. With the rudder all the way right I was able to slide the tab back in and get lots of epoxy down in there. Got two more flights in before dark. Much better way to end the day. Still like the idea of the heavier gear and bigger motor, but at least I'm back in the air till it gets here.
Last edited by V2rider; Mar 15, 2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: EDIT
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:51 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,260 Posts
Flights 13 and 14 done, and with the Power 60/6s4000ma/14x9x3MAS combo. stuck 1 3/4 oz lead on the underside over the ant exit hole and didn't have to touch the trim. This is without a doubt the best scale takeoff and landing plane I have. Just line up advance throttle and just over half throttle it lifts off and climbs out nice and slow without any other input. Somehow on flight 14 I ended up on the far side of the field where the grass is taller(4-5") Of course it grabbed the wheels and a blade on the prop and sun it around. Broken prop, left wing retainer tab came loose, and it cracked the bottom of the cowl a bit. Nothing a little epoxy can't fix though.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:29 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Just finished my H9/P-51 up and got my maiden and 2 more flights in today. Gona pick up a Pawnee and get started on it soon. Will use same power setup as the 51. This plane will be a scale flyer, but have some extra oooth under the hood. Will definetly change the LG out for the Cub setup.. back soon, Dave/ZZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:46 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Just finished my H9/P-51 up and got my maiden and 2 more flights in today. Gona pick up a Pawnee and get started on it soon. Will use same power setup as the 51. This plane will be a scale flyer, but have some extra oooth under the hood. Will definetly change the LG out for the Cub setup.. back soon, Dave/ZZ
It's starting to look like we have the same taste in planes. next up in my order of purchase was the H9 P-40B, a used E-Flite DW, and then the TopFlite 60 size P-47. Still working on the P-40, and the DW needs retracts, haven't even started on the P-47 other than a dry mockup.
The pawnee is another sweet flyer. I haven't had any problems with the main gear, but my tailwheel is pretty hammered from our field. I'll start with that and when I bend the mains I'll replace them with the cub gear.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:39 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
I am thinking you will want the Pawnee to fly slower but torquier than the P51. An inch more diameter and 1-2" less pitch might work.
DavidN is online now Find More Posts by DavidN
Old May 09, 2012, 02:55 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Hi guys,

Does the power46 and power60 have the same bolt pattern for the X-Mount? Those of you running the Power60, did you use the included 1 5/8 aluminum standoffs or did you have to trim them down?
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest radio lineup
Old May 09, 2012, 03:02 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Had to trim down the standoffs with the 60.

Harry
Old May 09, 2012, 03:05 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Great. That's what I figured. Did the bolts still line up with the pre installed blind nuts on the firewall?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 03:10 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Yes, they lined up perfectly. If I remember, I ended up cutting 11/16" off the standoffs.

Harry
Old May 09, 2012, 03:23 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Harry, I see you are running 6S packs. I will be running on 5S 5000's. Any ideas on what size prop I should be looking at with that setup?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 08:46 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I would try a 14x7 or even a 15x8, just see how many amps you are burning up. I am using a 16x10 APC on 6S 6000.

Harry