HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:28 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
949 Posts
For any plane this big, with this power system, I would go with an 190-200 watt opto speed controller, and backup battery for the RX and servos.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:20 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,873 Posts
To each his own. However for say a 9lb plane 1,000 to 1,100 watts is plenty if you deliver it with a 15 - 16" prop. As for ESC, if using a good quality one such as castle then 20% head room is all you need. I have an ICE 75 in my 10 lb Spacewalker.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:50 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuest3141 View Post
I have a Pawnee 80" in the box, waiting to be assembled. It definitely is in the 8-9 lb range.

And I agree. I don't think that a 45 "size" electric motor is the way to go. The weight puts it in the 60 to 120 size plane, and you probably need 1000 watts (or more) to the prop for strong flight. This suggests a motor with max watts in the 1600-2000 range.

I think that the 42-60 motors would be he minimum, and a 50-55 or 50-65 would be better. This thing has a decent sized cowl, so you will have to swing a decent sized prop.

A nice point is that there is lots of wing. But I'm not sure how the scale tail slows down to land. I've only watched a nitro version with a 120 engine, and the pilot flew it at flying brick speeds.
I was thinking the same when I started my build out. But then the truck broke down and clamped down on the wallet so I started rethinking. Since I had the 46 sitting here I used it for the build. Most of my rethink involved how the planes I have/had with these motors perform. I love the power and speed of the P-60 in my H9 P-51 40 sport. That one is over 10lbs. Climbs for ever and has to be in or at least near 70's in level flight. My H9 Fokker also ran the P-60. It was pushing or just over 10lbs too. But if anything it was a little fast. For scale speed passes I had to drop between 1/3 and half throttle. Then there is the H9 50 size corsair that I run the P-46. It's about 8.5lb so weight is the same as the Pawnee, but with a good bit less wing area. It's not in the same ballpark speedwise as the P-51, but has plenty of power for nice big loops. Speed is more scale, but the power is there to get you out of trouble if needed.
The guy at my club that has one also flys it glow, and has rigged it for towing gliders. I think he said his is about 10lbs ready to fly. While he is up flying the glider his buddy that towed him up likes doing TnG's and his pawnee slows to a crawl and is still pretty stable. Remembering that, and rewatching the vids of the Fokker and Corsair has me feeling comfortable with the P-46.
Only way I'll know for sure is to maiden. Cold and windy here again today so that's not happening. Weather guessers ar calling for 40's and single digit winds Tuesday morning though so with a little luck I'll have a flight report for you tomorrow.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:37 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,281 Posts
Maiden complete.

Finally got some acceptable weather for maiden today. What a sweet plane.
Only got in two flights since the fields solar charge system didn't have the juice for recharge today. I would say in no wind the Power 46, 13x8x3 mas on 4s would be just fine. With 10-12mph headwinds though it was not the power I like. Speed was fine, just could have used some more thrust to keep steady in the wind.
I'm going to put the power 60 in and run off 6s turning the 14x9x3 mas. It should give me the extra thrust I want and if I don't go WOT speed will still be scale. With a 4000ma pack in the same location as the 4s is now flight times will still be good without much of a weight gain.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:46 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Congratulations!
TripleW is online now Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:55 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Yes, congrats! I was wondering how the 46 was going to be for you, and I agree it's a very sweet plane

Harry
Harry H is online now Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:14 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,281 Posts
Thanks guys. It was a bit of a nail biter till I got her in the air and made a couple loops around the field. First 80" I have put in the air. Just took a couple clicks of trim on the ail and rudder for it to be straight and level at just over half throttle.
I've swapped the P-46 for the P-60 and threw it on the scale. I still need to cut about 1/4" off the motor spacers so that may drop a little weight, but as it sits with a 6s 4000ma pack weght is at 9lb 1oz. So going up in motor and cell count, but down 1000ma nets about an 8oz gain. Haven't tried to balance yet though so that may change by a bit.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:22 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
You should still get good flight time with the 4000 packs. I have a couple 6S 4000 packs from another plane that I use as spares when I have exhausted the larger 6000 ones. Think I get 12-14 minutes off those. Plenty of time for me.

Harry
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:07 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I have been following this thread and it is full of info. After hearing some on the Monster 60 and seeing the cost it really looks good. Is it a good alternative to the e-flite? This is not a cheap airplane. Also, how do you think a power 52 would work or would going to the 60 make better sense? I have decided to forgo my H9 P-51 build for the less "nervous" Pawnee and think it will fit my grass field better. Interesting thread; thanks, Dave
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:30 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Dave, I am using the M60's in 2 other planes (not the Pawnee) and am very pleased with them. I did have one that froze on testing - HP sent me out a new one without me returning the bad one. All is good now. One is even in my beloved H9 Camel, also not a cheap plane.

Harry
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:42 PM
Litchfield Park
Joined Dec 2008
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
I have been following this thread and it is full of info. After hearing some on the Monster 60 and seeing the cost it really looks good. Is it a good alternative to the e-flite? This is not a cheap airplane. Also, how do you think a power 52 would work or would going to the 60 make better sense? I have decided to forgo my H9 P-51 build for the less "nervous" Pawnee and think it will fit my grass field better. Interesting thread; thanks, Dave

I have over 600 flights on my Pawnee, I have been using a P-46 on 5 Cell 5000 and 13X8 Prop. This gives me 10 minutes and all the power that I need, The Eflite motor easily accepts the 1100 or so watts that WOT throttle brings, I am still using the original bearings and there is no heat issue. The 46 will also run on 6 Cells, and as long as you are keeping the watts in the 1200 range I bet it would run just fine. With a 65 C battery from XPS on 5 cells I can hover mine, not exactly scale and it does look pretty weird. The P-60 on 6 or a P-52 on 5 or 6 :-) would also be fine, mine weighs in at about 8 pounds 9 ounces takeoffs are rarely done at full throttle.

I think the best advice would be set up for 1000 to 1100 watts, look at what you have for batteries and choose a motor speed control, prop combination that gets you the watts. If starting from scratch a P-46 or equivalent on 5 Cells fly's this plane great I use an 80 amp speed control. (pulls about 60 amps) A P60 with 6 Cells with a 13X8 prop would actually create less power due to the P60's KV rating being 270 lower (less RPM), so you would need a bigger prop and a 14 inch prop doesn't give much clearance.

As it was mentioned to each his or her own, there are many different ways to harness electrons get about 1000 to 1100 watts and you will have all the power you want. Just remember all electrics run on smoke, once you let it out things stop working!

Good Luck, to all,

Cheers
AZThud is offline Find More Posts by AZThud
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I was using a 15" prop with the stock landing gear with no issues (unless I came in like a brick) With the new LG, I got plenty of room for a 16x10 which is seems to be the sweet spot for me. (P60 -6S)

Harry
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
Litchfield Park
Joined Dec 2008
120 Posts
I do a lot of touch and goes with mine so i like a little extra clearance :-)

Per my e-calc that power set up should be around 1100 watts or close to it, so I would definitely agree the performance should be excellent.

One of the things I was thinking of was putting on a tow hook for pulling up gliders for that I was thinking of increasing the diameter of the prop for more thrust. Will see if I can find the time. Seems I have some planes in for paint and repair nowm, and a new one on the bench, so I don't see much time for a tow hook.

I am looking at the Robarts Cub Gear what was it like installing it.

Cheers
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:27 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Wasn't difficult at all. Took an evening. Ended up using the forward mount with some aircraft ply for reinforcement. The aft mount is further back and needed to make a template for yet more aircraft ply. You will be very happy with this mod. I think if you have a catastrophic crash, the LG will be the only thing left in tact. Sorry if these photos were posted before.

Harry
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:55 AM
Litchfield Park
Joined Dec 2008
120 Posts
Thanks nice looking work!

Cheers