HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:23 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
Bummer. There are guys running it with a 46 and are happy. Just seems anemic for a 10lb plane.

Harry
I was bummed at first, but after getting out and getting all of three flights in today I feel much better now. I use the P-46/13x8x3MAS/ 4s 5000ma pack in my H9 corsair and it's pretty close to 8lbs. Still has good scale speed and plenty of thrust for large loops. Plus has a good run time.
I need to step back and realise I bought this as a low wing trainer for 80" =+ planes. Probably not a bad idea to have your trainer at a lower power level.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
When I said bummer, I meant about your brakes You should be ok, just keep it as light as possible. I added a lot of stuff to mine and it got somewhat heavy. Not sure if it matters too much with this plane, it is not meant to be a speed demon. That's what I like about it.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,281 Posts
Have to say once again I love the way H9 ARF's go together. Wings are together and mounted, El, and rudder servos mounted and push rods run. I think I'll change out the screws in the collors that connect the el rods. Other than that it's stringing wires on the tail and that section is done. Mounted the motor tonight. Perfect fit with the P-46 and bolt on prop adapter with the supplied spacers. As it sits I'm at 6lb 11oz. Still have to mount the canopy, esc, rx, and rx pack. That is another 1lb 10-12oz. So with a 4s 5000ma pack and rx pack I'll end up just over 8.5lb.
Should work out just about how I want. My H9 corsair 50 weighs in about the same but, has less wing area. Then again it has less drag so if all works the way I figure they will fly about the same on this power setup. That will be just fine with me since the Corsair is in my top 3 favorite planes in the hangar.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:42 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Sounds good. I also really like H9 planes. I have but 2, the other is a Camel. You didn't mention if you did, but adding epoxy at critical joints is a smart idea. I think at 8.5lbs you will rock Mine is over 10! Maybe I used too much extra glue..

Harry
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:55 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,281 Posts
The Pawnee will be the fourth H9 I have flown, 5th kit. This is my trainer for the 150 Razorback P-47.
Unless I'm just lucky I haven't had to add any epoxy to any of them so far. Couple other kits in the 50-60 size needed some glue and extra lumber. I added a bunch of epoxy and extra wood to my 50 size Kyosho 190 just to be safe. Probably best that I did as it ended up coming in for a belly landing yesterday on only the secong flight. One of the retracts just didn't want to come down. No damage at all. As much as I love the look of a plane with gear up, I'm kind of looking forward to having one that I don't have to mess with or worry about retracts.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:09 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Belly landing with no damage. Must have been a very good landing! I am one of those that tends to over do everything and the weight of my planes reflect that I did need to add extra wood for the landing gear revision and the gear itself is heavier than the stock gear. Also have a pilot but he helps with the CG.

Harry
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
Belly landing with no damage. Must have been a very good landing! I am one of those that tends to over do everything and the weight of my planes reflect that I did need to add extra wood for the landing gear revision and the gear itself is heavier than the stock gear. Also have a pilot but he helps with the CG.

Harry
landing the 190 was pretty intense. First time I have had to belly land one of my balsa planes. A couple of the guys have started calling me mr foamy since I almsot always have one of my PZ planes with me. Usually the Corsair. All that practice with the Corsair came in real handy. A good bit of luck was involved too. The MAS 3 blade stopped at just the right place so it didn't dig in and cause other problems.

Back to the Pawnee. I'm wishing I would have stuck a pilot in mine. Maybe even some lead in him too. With the P-46 and a CC 60amp up front, rx pack as instructed I still had to slide my 5000ma 4s pack back to where about half of it is sitting under the rx pack. Then after I did my normal taxi test down the drive and up and down the street, pause for some pics then back to the garage I ran into an esc problem. After doing some taxi tests I figured I would run the battery down to safe charge levels. So started the timere on the tx and ran it up to about half power for 20-30 seconds. Then started to cycle up and down from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, then a WOT burst of 5 seconds or so. Did that three times and on the third WOT as soon as I hit WOT the motor stopped and the esc started beeping.
This esc came from a plane I bought used and I have no idea of it's history. I liked the fact that it weighs less than the E-Flite 60amp, and has longer leads to the battery, but I don't trust it at all, so it's out and the E-Flite I have is mounted.
I think I'm going to take a step back from trying to maiden today though. I'm thinking since I just added more weight with the esc in the front I'm at the point where I want to swap the location of my flight and rx packs. To do that I also have to move the main rx. Only problem with that though is the shorter battery leads on the E-Flite esc. May end up having to extend the leads by about 3".
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:05 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
At least you caught the problem on the ground! The Pawnee has such a long nose that any weight you can move aft will help out. I have my battery butted against the servo tray, and a pilot. I still had to add about 2-3 oz. of lead attached to the tailwheel in order to get the CG right.

Harry
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:15 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,281 Posts
Looks like I forgot a piece. Couldn't figure out what that little blue piece was when I was putting it together. Sort of looked like a head rest, but just didn't look right with the seat in postion. Looking back at the pics again it looks like it just goes up on the hatch. Anyone know what that is on the real one?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:53 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Sep 2007
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
landing the 190 was pretty intense. First time I have had to belly land one of my balsa planes. A couple of the guys have started calling me mr foamy since I almsot always have one of my PZ planes with me. Usually the Corsair. All that practice with the Corsair came in real handy. A good bit of luck was involved too. The MAS 3 blade stopped at just the right place so it didn't dig in and cause other problems.

Back to the Pawnee. I'm wishing I would have stuck a pilot in mine. Maybe even some lead in him too. With the P-46 and a CC 60amp up front, rx pack as instructed I still had to slide my 5000ma 4s pack back to where about half of it is sitting under the rx pack. Then after I did my normal taxi test down the drive and up and down the street, pause for some pics then back to the garage I ran into an esc problem. After doing some taxi tests I figured I would run the battery down to safe charge levels. So started the timere on the tx and ran it up to about half power for 20-30 seconds. Then started to cycle up and down from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, then a WOT burst of 5 seconds or so. Did that three times and on the third WOT as soon as I hit WOT the motor stopped and the esc started beeping.
This esc came from a plane I bought used and I have no idea of it's history. I liked the fact that it weighs less than the E-Flite 60amp, and has longer leads to the battery, but I don't trust it at all, so it's out and the E-Flite I have is mounted.
I think I'm going to take a step back from trying to maiden today though. I'm thinking since I just added more weight with the esc in the front I'm at the point where I want to swap the location of my flight and rx packs. To do that I also have to move the main rx. Only problem with that though is the shorter battery leads on the E-Flite esc. May end up having to extend the leads by about 3".
I read some where that you need to be carefull on extending the battery leads and to rather extend the wires to the motor instead.... some thing to do with the CAPS on the ESC (i think) ......which I could remember where I read that!
lucas45 is offline Find More Posts by lucas45
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:27 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas45 View Post
I read some where that you need to be carefull on extending the battery leads and to rather extend the wires to the motor instead.... some thing to do with the CAPS on the ESC (i think) ......which I could remember where I read that!
I've seen that too. In the PZ Habu they extend the leads from the esc to the motor. That's at least a foot extension they need there. I thought I would only need a couple inches so I didn't think it would make that much diff at the battery end for a short lead. As it turns out though I don't need to extend either. Even with the shorter leads on the E-Flite esc and with the pack sideways in the RX pack location I can still plug in just fine.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:12 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,281 Posts
Balanced just about perfect at 3" with the guts moved in this position. Basically dead on at 2 7/8 which I think is the front of the range. Works for me. That way if I do go P-60 and 6s it should be just about perfect at 3-3 1/8". I can always fine tune by moving the rx pack.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:50 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Funny, never thought about putting the battery sideways like that. I am going to see if my battery fits as I could take some extra weight off if it works.

Harry
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:50 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Sep 2007
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
Looks like I forgot a piece. Couldn't figure out what that little blue piece was when I was putting it together. Sort of looked like a head rest, but just didn't look right with the seat in postion. Looking back at the pics again it looks like it just goes up on the hatch. Anyone know what that is on the real one?
I think its a grip for removing the hatch. Here is my pilot
lucas45 is offline Find More Posts by lucas45
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:25 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
950 Posts
I have a Pawnee 80" in the box, waiting to be assembled. It definitely is in the 8-9 lb range.

And I agree. I don't think that a 45 "size" electric motor is the way to go. The weight puts it in the 60 to 120 size plane, and you probably need 1000 watts (or more) to the prop for strong flight. This suggests a motor with max watts in the 1600-2000 range.

I think that the 42-60 motors would be he minimum, and a 50-55 or 50-65 would be better. This thing has a decent sized cowl, so you will have to swing a decent sized prop.

A nice point is that there is lots of wing. But I'm not sure how the scale tail slows down to land. I've only watched a nitro version with a 120 engine, and the pilot flew it at flying brick speeds.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141