HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
Registered User
V2rider's Avatar
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,275 Posts
Subscibed last night and still couldn't find this thread again this morning. So bumped.
I have one on the way and still have some reading to do.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:33 PM
RC Nut!
jfruge's Avatar
Madera, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfruge View Post
I had some missing parts (servo covers) in my kit so I stopped working on it and never got back to it after getting the replacement parts. I now have the fire again and just ordered a lipo and RX for her. I hope to get her in the air within the next 2 weeks or so. I will be using a power 60.

Fun Fun,

John Fruge
Madera, CA
Well, a year (or 2) later I am about to setup a radio program on this bad boy!

Fun Fun,

John Fruge
Madera, CA
jfruge is offline Find More Posts by jfruge
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:15 PM
Registered User
nippaero's Avatar
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
I just picked up one of these too
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:00 PM
Registered User
Harry H's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
This thread has really good info. Start at the beginning, it's well worth the read!

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:33 AM
Registered User
V2rider's Avatar
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,275 Posts
Good read. Sounds like I'm in the ballpark thinking a Power 60 on 6s tirning a 14x9x3 MAS. Just remains to be seen if I can fit two for 20+ minute flights.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:39 AM
Registered User
Harry H's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I am using the Power 60 on 6S 5800 packs spinning a 16x10 prop. I get 15-20 minute flights on it

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:15 PM
Registered User
Canada, BC
Joined Sep 2007
118 Posts
Got one too!
I have updated the tail wheel and looking at adding 1/4 scale Robart Cub gear, however they are not cheap! wish HK made something like that.
Mine is all electric Standard setup and I plan to add some lights to mine in the future....Got my pilot and waiting for batteries.
lucas45 is offline Find More Posts by lucas45
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:36 PM
Registered User
Harry H's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas45 View Post
Got one too!
I have updated the tail wheel and looking at adding 1/4 scale Robart Cub gear, however they are not cheap! wish HK made something like that.
Mine is all electric Standard setup and I plan to add some lights to mine in the future....Got my pilot and waiting for batteries.
I have the Robart gear on mine. Worth every penny

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:32 PM
Registered User
V2rider's Avatar
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
I have the Robart gear on mine. Worth every penny

Harry
I may have to look into those for my flying field. It's anything but smooth. What diam are the stock wheels for this one? It doesn't say in the parts list and prop clearence is a major concern for me. I know the one the other guy at the club flys doesn't have much clearence and I think he's running 13" prop.
I was thinking of going Power 60 on 6s turning a 14x9x3 MAS, but if clearence is that close I may just run the power 46 on a 13x8x3 MAS. At the end of the day I can run my my 2 5000 ma 4s pack in parralel on the 46 and get nice long flight times and only come in about 8 oz heavier than the P-60 and 1 6s 5000ma pack.
I run the P-46 on 4s and the same prop in my H9 corsair 50 and it flys it very nice for scale speeds. I know the pawnee is a good bit bigger, but my corsair comes in over 7lb and much less wing area.
Here I go again. Just when I think I have the powerplant picked out I start running numbers on calcs. To be honest I'm not looking for speed with this one, I just want something to act as a low wing trainer for this size plane. Maybe I should go with the P-46.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:19 AM
Registered User
Harry H's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
I may have to look into those for my flying field. It's anything but smooth. What diam are the stock wheels for this one? It doesn't say in the parts list and prop clearence is a major concern for me. I know the one the other guy at the club flys doesn't have much clearence and I think he's running 13" prop.
I was thinking of going Power 60 on 6s turning a 14x9x3 MAS, but if clearence is that close I may just run the power 46 on a 13x8x3 MAS. At the end of the day I can run my my 2 5000 ma 4s pack in parralel on the 46 and get nice long flight times and only come in about 8 oz heavier than the P-60 and 1 6s 5000ma pack.
I run the P-46 on 4s and the same prop in my H9 corsair 50 and it flys it very nice for scale speeds. I know the pawnee is a good bit bigger, but my corsair comes in over 7lb and much less wing area.
Here I go again. Just when I think I have the powerplant picked out I start running numbers on calcs. To be honest I'm not looking for speed with this one, I just want something to act as a low wing trainer for this size plane. Maybe I should go with the P-46.
The stock wheels are 3.25", I just ordered these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4124 as mine are worn out. I was turning a 15" prop with the stock landing gear with plenty of clearance unless a not so perfect landing bent the landing gear. The stock gear has no shock absorbing capabilities other than bending. Changing to the Robart gear gives plenty of clearance. You should be fine with a 14" prop. The Pawnee is a great low wing trainer and will fly very scale with extra power if needed with the 60. I have a pitot tube and air speed sensor and have flown from 5 - 78 mph

Harry

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:32 AM
Registered User
V2rider's Avatar
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,275 Posts
Thanks Harry. I think I'm back to the power 60 on 6s. I do like a bit of extra power when needed. Just have to control myself on the left stick and keep her at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle and I'm sure it will be fine. I should probably stay in the 10-15 minute flight time range anyhow. Over that I tend to get bored with the basics and try something that gets me in trouble because power is down just enough that I can't get out of what I got myself into.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
Registered User
Canada, BC
Joined Sep 2007
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
I have the Robart gear on mine. Worth every penny

Harry
Looks like the way to go... Its on my to do list ....I got this plane so that I do not have to think 10 paces ahead .. a nice plane to fly around! Did you use the stock wheels?
lucas45 is offline Find More Posts by lucas45
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
Registered User
Harry H's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas45 View Post
Looks like the way to go... Its on my to do list ....I got this plane so that I do not have to think 10 paces ahead .. a nice plane to fly around! Did you use the stock wheels?
I did use the stock wheels, they work out very good. I ended up sleeving the hubs with brass tubing when I put on the Robart gear. Nice and smooth. It is indeed a nice plane to fly.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:52 AM
Registered User
V2rider's Avatar
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,275 Posts
Looks like I'm back to running a Power 46 on 4s and either a 13x8x3 MAS or APC 14x8. Not really by choice, more of a the brakes went out on my truck and took all my airplane funds with them thing.
Robbing the P-47 of some more of the servos I had for it too.That will put Hitec HS 645's on the ail, rudder and el. I have 2 HS 425's that I figure will work fine for flaps. Going to run the E-Flite 60 amp esc I have and power the rx with a 2000ma 6v pack.
I guess I'll see what combo of 4s packs I get to use when it comes time to balance.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
Registered User
Harry H's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Bummer. There are guys running it with a 46 and are happy. Just seems anemic for a 10lb plane.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New EPP Super Zoom 4D from SoaringUSA.com build thread hybris 3D Foamies 2467 May 09, 2012 08:24 PM
MicroBipe from Dynamoelectrics.com - Build Thread badbill Parkflyers 116 May 28, 2008 05:48 PM
Micro Flash (from MiBo Modeli) Build Thread Neil Walker Electric Sailplanes 45 Jul 04, 2005 12:38 AM
NIB Hangar 9 Piper Cub 80" WING RJ Reinhard Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 27, 2003 03:07 PM