HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:18 AM
pwy
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
116 Posts
You can't see it but I'm still smiling
Had about eight or so flights today. No trim needed, perfect from the beginning.
Scale take off at 1/3 throttle, vertical on 2/3 throttle

Very stable and easy to fly. Stall is almost non existent, just drops slowly down like on a string.

Did a few loops and rolls. Works, but is really not the plane for that. Looks much better in slow fly-by. With some wind, forwards speed drops to zero and occasionally even going backwards.

Was a great day with a little bit of everything, from total calm up to some (mild) gusts. Found that landings in calm conditions are best with 50% flaps and if there is some wind then no flaps.

Is really an impressive plane and got a lot of compliments for the good looks on the ground and in the air.

The power system is a good match, maybe a bit overpowered for normal flying but will be perfect for glider towing.

Flight times with plenty of juice left was a good 10-12 min. This on a 6s 4000mAh.

Tomorrow we are planning for the first glider tow.

Can only recommend this plane.

P.
pwy is offline Find More Posts by pwy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2011, 01:11 AM
Bustin' foamies is my hobby
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwy View Post
You can't see it but I'm still smiling
Had about eight or so flights today. No trim needed, perfect from the beginning.
Scale take off at 1/3 throttle, vertical on 2/3 throttle

Very stable and easy to fly. Stall is almost non existent, just drops slowly down like on a string.

Did a few loops and rolls. Works, but is really not the plane for that. Looks much better in slow fly-by. With some wind, forwards speed drops to zero and occasionally even going backwards.

Was a great day with a little bit of everything, from total calm up to some (mild) gusts. Found that landings in calm conditions are best with 50% flaps and if there is some wind then no flaps.

Is really an impressive plane and got a lot of compliments for the good looks on the ground and in the air.

The power system is a good match, maybe a bit overpowered for normal flying but will be perfect for glider towing.

Flight times with plenty of juice left was a good 10-12 min. This on a 6s 4000mAh.

Tomorrow we are planning for the first glider tow.

Can only recommend this plane.

P.

Wow, great to hear such a glowing review since I decided this would be the ARF to which I lost my balsa "virginity". Looking forward to having the same experience as you had.
KYlawyer is offline Find More Posts by KYlawyer
Old Apr 23, 2011, 02:32 AM
pwy
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYlawyer View Post
Wow, great to hear such a glowing review since I decided this would be the ARF to which I lost my balsa "virginity". Looking forward to having the same experience as you had.
I think you won't regret it

Went out for a couple of more flights today. Rain was coming in but managed to do the first glider tow with the Pawnee. Was only a smallish 2.2m glider for the first test but on the way up I had to constantly check on the glider to see if it was still attached. Couldn't feel anything from the additional weight. The Pawnee just pulled straight up like nothing was attached. I recon it would have pulled that one up vertically but I let it climb in a nice 40 degree angle.

On Monday we are going to step it up a notch and take out the bigger gliders.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:53 AM
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
I think you won't regret it

Went out for a couple of more flights today. Rain was coming in but managed to do the first glider tow with the Pawnee. Was only a smallish 2.2m glider for the first test but on the way up I had to constantly check on the glider to see if it was still attached. Couldn't feel anything from the additional weight. The Pawnee just pulled straight up like nothing was attached. I recon it would have pulled that one up vertically but I let it climb in a nice 40 degree angle.

On Monday we are going to step it up a notch and take out the bigger gliders.
Can't wait to hear your post tow report. I'm going to get mine at the LHS tomorrow and get started on her.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:17 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
PWY, do you know what your AUW is?

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:22 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,424 Posts
who will be the 1st: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN5190 ?
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:35 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
If I was the first, I'd be dead before I could fly it. The wife would kill me!

Sure looks pretty. Huge sucker.
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:43 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,874 Posts
NOT. I have the Eflite 15
DavidN is online now Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:05 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
872 Posts
go get a few big sheets of blue foam and build one. probably cost you under $100 for the airframe and covering
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:51 PM
pwy
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
PWY, do you know what your AUW is?

Harry
Harry,

Unfortunately I don't have a scale which would work for that. I do know that my power system (motor, ESC, battery) weights together 1170g (41.5 oz).

But you are right, I need a scale... off to ebay ;-)

Peter
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:48 AM
pwy
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
116 Posts
Quote:
Can't wait to hear your post tow report. I'm going to get mine at the LHS tomorrow and get started on her.
Rain all long weekend - no towing
Next Saturday again.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:27 PM
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Rain all long weekend - no towing
Next Saturday again.
Hey Peter, good name btw it's also my given , I saw you are running the scorpion 4025-12. I was planning on getting an ef power 60 but i would have to order it. My lhs has a Scorpion 4020-12 in stock do you think this motor would work as well?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:29 PM
pwy
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
116 Posts
Quote:
Hey Peter, good name btw it's also my given , I saw you are running the scorpion 4025-12. I was planning on getting an ef power 60 but i would have to order it. My lhs has a Scorpion 4020-12 in stock do you think this motor would work as well?
Couldn't agree more - about the name

The 4020-12 would work just fine. A tad less power than the 4025 but still more than the ef-60. Mounting pattern should be the same as well and it has a slightly higher kv value which means yo may be able to use a smaller prop. I'm getting very close to the ground with my prop so smaller is better in this case.

If you don't have an ESC yet, pick up a CC ICE 100. Excellent speedy and works great with Scorpions.

P.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:37 AM
Oldham County KY
Joined Sep 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Couldn't agree more - about the name

The 4020-12 would work just fine. A tad less power than the 4025 but still more than the ef-60. Mounting pattern should be the same as well and it has a slightly higher kv value which means yo may be able to use a smaller prop. I'm getting very close to the ground with my prop so smaller is better in this case.

If you don't have an ESC yet, pick up a CC ICE 100. Excellent speedy and works great with Scorpions.

P.
Good to hear I thought that it looked pretty closely equivalent. Since I don't plan on towing gliders as of yet it should be plenty of power. That CC Ice 100 was exactly the ESC I was looking at, good to know it's a good choice. What servos are you using and are you using a bec or just running the rx through the CC 100 onboard bec?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:05 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
The CC Ice is a very good choice, that is what I am using. The internal bec does not have enough voltage to run 6 servos - it might but its on the edge depending on what servos and radio system you are using. Started out with a CC 10 amp bec but after a call to CC who told me the 10 was also marginal for 6 digital servos, I changed it out for the 20 amp pro bec and set it at 6 volts. I use the JR/Spektrum DS821 servos and they work very well.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H