HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2002, 11:33 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Anyone tried Easy Built Models kits ?

I chanced upon the web site of Easy Built Models and wondered if anyone had converted any of their FF rubber kits to R/C.

They have some interesting kits at seemingly reasonable prices, but I'm completely unfamiliar with the company and the quality level of its products. They seem to be just getting into laser-cut kits, with most of their offerings NOT laser cut.

Anyone have firsthand experience with Easy Built Models?

- Jeff
galloping gimp is offline Find More Posts by galloping gimp
Last edited by galloping gimp; Jan 02, 2003 at 12:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2003, 05:44 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
Hi,

Being a huge fan of the Wright Flyer (hence my Ezone ID!) I've built the EBM 24" span Wright Flyer which is designed (according to the plan) for free flight but as it's so delicate (and took about a month of evenings to build!) I'd never dare to fly it and have, instead mounted it on a plinth as a static model.

The one I built was NOT laser cut but just outlines printed on thin balsa sheeting that had to be cut out by hand (all SEVENTY-TWO wing ribs!!) and it was extremely tedious. Since I built it I notice that they now do a laser version and if I had my time again I'd have gone for that.

In terms of quality I would say that the model I ended up with is a great piece of design ('course that was actually done back in 1900-1903!!) however, in the case of the Wright Flyer, it would be far too delicate to convert to R/C even if you went for an RFFS100 and 145mAh LiPo cells. I can't say about any of their other more "modern" designs though.

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Last edited by Wright Flyer; Jan 02, 2003 at 05:50 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2003, 10:29 AM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Thanks Cliff.

I would not have expected the Wright Flyer to be a good candidate for conversion to R/C, but I'm sure it's a nice static model. Even on the EBM web site, it looks awfully fragile!

I was looking at their rubber powered free flight kits, where they have planes such as the Spitfire, Fairchild PT-19, Bell Aircobra, Stuka Dive Bomder, Hawker Hurricane, etc. A number of the kits are in the 28"-35" wingspan range, about the same as the Dumas and Herr kits that are being successfully converted to R/C.

Anyone else have experience with EBM kits?

- Jeff
Old Jan 02, 2003, 02:53 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,734 Posts
I've built a bunch

Jeff

I've built a bunch of their kits over the years, including a 24" Airacobra (I've one a bunch of contests with this one- it's done over 65 sec. indoor), a 35" Spit, and a 50" P-40. (and a bunch of others.) I'm also into FF, so none of these kits have been converted but I have done other rubber conversions.

Advantages-
1) Outlines not exact scale- generally enlarged tail surfaces etc. which make for better flying models. I can generally get an Easy Built to fly better than a Herr or Dumas kits (Herr stuff seems to do better rubber powered than Dumas- but both seem to convert well.)
2) Construction is very light (may be a disadvantage).
3) New owners are trying to make improvements.

Disadvantages
1) These kits have been around a long time. There is not a lot of consistency in the line- some kits are decent, others have badly drawn plans and parts that don't match. Laser cutting is not a guarantee of goods parts fit or match to plans.
2) Wood is inconsistent- you should know what heavy stock feels like, as well as light stock. Occasionally the wood is pretty good.
3) Some of these designs need beefing up- I should have put more spars in my P-40 wing for instance.
4) Check to see if the kit comes with a formed canopy- some don't.

Summary-
If building from plans doesn't scare you, these kits are not a bad deal. Generally the printwood (or laser cut stuff) is decent and can be used. However, if you haven't got a lot of experience building, then either Dumas or Herr kits go together easier.

But if you're dying to do a Spit in that size range, I'd bet my 35" one would be magnificent- it used to get a lot of oohs and aahs when I'd fly it rubber. I still toy with the idea of converting it.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jan 02, 2003, 03:30 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Thanks Sam.

I appreciate the detailed information. In the dim past, I built a number of stick-and-tissue rubber powered planes and gliders, so I could probably handle the EBM kits. I have never built a modern laser cut kit.

In the photos on the EBM site, some of the kits look rather lightly built, so your comment about beefing them up makes sense. Interestingly, the 35" Spitfire is one of the kits that caught my eye, although they also have a 28" laser cut version which likely would be easier to build.

- Jeff
Old Jan 02, 2003, 03:42 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Carson City, NV
Joined Nov 2000
888 Posts
Though I only built one Easy Built model, my experience was basically what Sam described. After putting together a couple of ARFS, I built the EB Stuka as practice before trying an RC kit. The sketchiness of the "instructions" was a bit disconcerting to a newbie, but in the end it flew quite well.

Jeff
astroboy is offline Find More Posts by astroboy
Old Jan 02, 2003, 04:52 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Jeff,
I got the 30" Easybuilt Stuka from Santa with the intent of converting it to DX-A powered Parkflyer. Have done the Dumas Beaver for R/C and their Helldiver for display in daughters room. Also did a couple of Herr kits.
Wanted something different and Easybuilt does have a wide selection. Looking at the kit appears wood quality is good. It does build light and will need a bunch of mods and judicious 'beefing up' for R/C. Also fuse is narrow so equipment placement should be interesting. BTW kit was designed in 1942.
I'm gonna do it. Can't fly due to weather so am in no rush and LOVE to build. Hoping to include bomb drop.
Gotta wait to pay some X-mas bills and then will order servos, ESC, Rx. etc.
If you havn't done a conversion before you may be better off with a Herr or Dumas. They appear more easily adaptable to me. Also depends on how much building experience you have. But for $15 or so for Easybuilt kits you can't go too wrong.
Just finished, except for paint job, the Easybuilt MIG 15 for Jetex 50. A fun little project. Looks neat!
GREAT site for Easybuilt kits and LOTS of others:http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com/oldsite/showme.htm
I have a 30" Cunningham-Hall GA-36 0n order from them. For future conversion project. Their printed catalog, like a newspaper, is hard to put down...So many kits, so little time.
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Jan 02, 2003, 05:33 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
D W -

Thanks for sharing your experience. How many channels are you planning to use?

It occurred to me that a 3-channel installation (elevator, aileron, speed control) would save weight as well as space inside the narrow fuselage. This assumes that the plane will fly OK without a rudder.

My ulterior motive is that I currently own a 3-channel radio and have been seeking planes that I can fly on 3 channels. So I've been wondering if these free flight conversions need rudder control or whether elevator and ailerons are sufficient.

What are your thoughts?

- Jeff
Old Jan 02, 2003, 05:53 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Jeff,
Actually I had the same question. Planning on Elevator, Aileron and Esc plus the bomb drop. No rudder= no ground handling so will make her hand launch only.
Others who have gone before me in doing conversions have been very helpful. KSUflyer has done a Bearcat and a Herr Corsair. SoSlow has done a Herr AT-6. MrMootsie is currently working on a Dumas Bearcat. You can do searches for these and get all kinds of good info. KSU has even posted some fantastic video.
You can also go 3 channel with elevator/rudder. Thats how the Beaver is and her 1 flight thus far was fine. Also others have gone this route on low wing planes with good success. Just make sure dihedral is sufficient.
Have you checked the Penn Valley Site yet? Their prices are pretty good.
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Jan 02, 2003, 07:02 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
I followed KSUflyer's Bearcat thread. If I recall, he originally built it without ailerons and found it was hard to fly. He then added ailerons, and it flew well. This is what got me thinking that one could omit the rudder from these free flight conversions.

I've just started flying with ailerons and really like it, so the idea of another aileron/elevator/motor plane is appealing. I suppose I will move up to a 4+ channel radio at some point, but for now, I'm keeping it cheap and simple.

Incidentally, I've been doing ROGs with my rudderless And_Now. I tweaked the landing gear so that it tracks straight and can ROG off pavement or hard packed dirt in just a few feet. It's tough to get it turned around for taxiing back after landing, though!

I checked the Penn Valley site. The prices are good, and their inventory is terrific.

- Jeff
Last edited by galloping gimp; Jan 02, 2003 at 07:06 PM.