HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2002, 10:38 PM
sw missouri
Joined Sep 2001
389 Posts
Fun in Missouri

We had a unique situation last Sunday here in SW Missouri. I was flying with "TWO" Gary Joneses. We had to fly for about 4 hours and suffered through it, but then somebody had too. Actually we had to quit because it got too dark, but then Gary L. Jones got out his "LightStik" and flew anyway.

Gary L. Jones (SR71FAN) from New Mexico came up for a visit and we started by going to the fly-in in Springfield on Friday. However, Sunday we got the gym here in town and flew the "Blue Air Force".

To confuse the situation, Gary W. Jones showed up too. He is the person who designs and builds (along with Ken Spencer) all my mechanical stuff - the actuators, gearboxes and as a bonus he cuts fantastic blue foam wings. You will notice in the picture nothing but blue wings!

Front - Gary W's new aileron ship - it flys very well and it is quick!

Middle right - SLW (Selman Low Wing - a misnomer since Gary W cut the wings) Very nice flyer. Very maneuverable and slows down nicely. I've been twisting Gary L's arm and he is building me one now. 80)

Right rear - SW (Selman Wing - same as above 80) Gary L's first foree into Gary W. wings, hehe, but not the last.

Left rear - Gary W's "Micro Chuckles". Very quick and maneuverable plane. Gary W doesn't like to fly straight and level, so it is a good fit.

Middle left - My "Modified Micro Lite Flyer". This will slow down to a crawl and is very agile.

Bob Selman
bselman is offline Find More Posts by bselman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2002, 10:42 PM
sw missouri
Joined Sep 2001
389 Posts
Here are the "Blue Air Force" pilots. Left to right, Bob Selman, Gary W. Jones and Gary L. Jones and the fleet.

Bob
Old Jan 01, 2003, 08:13 AM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
Bob,

Has Gary W.'s foam cutting method been detailed somewhere? Can I assume it is the blue "Dow" foam insulation from building suppliers? If not do you think he would be willing to share this info with us? Thanks.

Dave Wulff
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff
Old Jan 01, 2003, 09:08 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,750 Posts
Bob, how thick are the wings?

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jan 02, 2003, 01:15 AM
AV8
Kansas
Joined Jul 2002
908 Posts
Looks like a real rag tag bunch of guys!

Save a few walls for me when I heal up!

KsFlyer
KsFlyer is offline Find More Posts by KsFlyer
Old Jan 03, 2003, 11:59 AM
sw missouri
Joined Sep 2001
389 Posts
DOW

Yes, the wings are cut from "DOW" blue foam. Gary uses standard hot wire techniques to cut them.

Epilot

The wings are pretty thin. You can tell from the picture of my latest model - SLW. Gary L. built it for me and it flies great!

Bob
Old Jan 03, 2003, 02:21 PM
Joined Nov 2002
27 Posts
I am from Missouri, i live in chesterfield. Where is the majority of the pilots from?
Noob is offline Find More Posts by Noob
Old Jan 04, 2003, 01:07 AM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
Me likey SLW!
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari
Old Jan 04, 2003, 08:36 AM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
Bob,

How do you think the foam wings compare to 1/32" balsa sheet w/ribs. Some input on both weight and performance would help me decide wether to try to set up a cutting rig. Thanks.

Dave Wulff
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff
Old Jan 04, 2003, 05:28 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Flyers' Locations

Noob,

Most of the flyers are way across the state from you, around Joplin, Springfield, and neighboring states to the west. It would be a long haul for you. Might be worth it for you if they had an all-day event sometime.

Inari,

Me too! It's a lot of fun in a small package.

DOW,

If I had my druthers, I'd wait for some of the cut wings which Bob gets from Gary W. Jones. They have a much better airfoil than the single-surface 1/32 balsa, and they don't warp like the balsa. Oh, and another thing... they handle abuse much better than balsa. Don't ask me how I know!

Here's a picture of Bob's (front) and mine in loose formation in the gym. Photo by Ken Spencer

Gary L. Jones
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Last edited by sr71fan; Jan 04, 2003 at 07:10 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2003, 05:38 PM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Whoa!

Better hit the speed-brakes, Bob. That's close enough!

The airfoil cut by Gary W. has an incredibly wide speed range. You can really get up and GO when you want to.

Ken Spencer photo.

Gary
Last edited by sr71fan; Jan 04, 2003 at 05:46 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2003, 05:51 PM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Wide Speed Range

It will also slow down nicely for landing (handling?).

Bob Selman photo.

Gary
Old Jan 04, 2003, 07:09 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
HOLY COW...
My dads name is Gary W. Jones. What is the other Gary W's middle name...Wayne?? Thats what my dads is. -Patrick
putt_13 is offline Find More Posts by putt_13
Old Jan 04, 2003, 08:36 PM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Middle

Patrick,

I don't know Gary's middle name. Maybe Bob or he will chime in here. There must be about 40 KaZillion of us in the U.S. alone.

DOW,

Almost forgot the other info...

Mine spans 15 inches (before dihedral) and weighs 26 grams all-up. I'm considering landing gear, but want to keep it under that magic one-ounce mark. I believe Bob's is lighter, at 25.1 grams. Bob, help me out here, if I 'm wrong, please.

As for the performance... they will loop from a slight dive, and if you are straight and level at 30% throttle, it LEAPS forward so you can actually see the acceleration when you nail the throttle. I have done figure 8s with mine in 1/4 of the small gymnasium.

Gary

P.S. Here's another view of mine in the soccer dome at Springfield, taken by Larry Askren.
Old Jan 04, 2003, 09:14 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
So, do I smell Bob selling an SLW kit soon? By the way, how much is a KaZillion minus 1? Just wondering.

John Brassner
AMA 84036
http://www.inarico.com/misc/rc
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari