HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:33 AM
Joined Feb 2008
19 Posts
Help!
Vintage Wizard

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding a vintage model called the "Wizard." I had built this model 35+ years ago as a boy from a British kit. I don't remember if it was a KeilKraft, Mercury or Veron kit.
The model itself was a gas cabin FF model with a wingspan around 36". So far I've had no luck tracking this model down on the web, I would really like to build this model again as a R/C electric parkflyer. Thanks!
Andy Telzer is offline Find More Posts by Andy Telzer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:12 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
848 Posts
Andy,
I can only recall the mercury magna which was 38" free flight. unfortunately I never kept plans of my early kit models, so no help there.
Looking at Phil Smith's plan list of mercury,k'kraft and veron plans, there is no wizard mentioned - altho possible that he does not cover all the models of that era.
He does have the magna if you are interested and he usually provides photostats of all the printed parts to enable the models to be built to original vintage spec. magna is a pretty little taildragger for 0.5 to 0.75ccs and would be ideal for electric or scaling up

a trawl thru google only threw up Ron Warring's Wizard design which I think was a c/line model
hope this is of use
John
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:46 PM
Joined Feb 2008
19 Posts
John,

Thanks for the info, the search continues!
Andy
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:20 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
I also dont think it was KK, veron or mercury..or frog for that matter..who elses might it have been?

Flair? Buckle?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:57 PM
Joined Feb 2008
19 Posts
I'm sure the Wizard was designed 45+ years ago. Maybe in some old UK model publication there is an advert with a picture/discription of it.
Thanks Andy
Old Feb 15, 2008, 05:37 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,328 Posts
Andy, you may care to search for "Whizard". I remember that name (with the "wrong" spelling) from long ago, but not much else about the model. There are lots of Google hits for Whizard, including some current "re-releases". I don't know if one of those will be what you're looking for.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Feb 15, 2008, 05:44 PM
Joined Feb 2008
19 Posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Andy
Old Feb 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
Aberdeen, WA
Joined Sep 2001
315 Posts
ACE RC had a kit called a Whizard . rc with a 049 to 09 I think.
70's for sure , maybe older. I think a Owen Kampen design.

Ben
benlo2d is offline Find More Posts by benlo2d
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:49 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Nope, got an Ace Whizard wing kit AND a Wizard in the garage. I can look up the plan for it to find out the manufacturer (My guess is Mercury), and I almost guarantee that Applehoney can supply you with a print if you ask nicely.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:44 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
706 Posts
Mercury Wizard, 32" span for 049 FF. This one went on Ebay 2 weeks back for 80 UK pounds

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old Feb 16, 2008, 09:25 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
>I almost guarantee that Applehoney can supply you with a print if you ask nicely.

I'm glad that you said 'almost', Terry ... for I'm afraid that's a design not in my files. Sorry, Andy ....
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:26 AM
Joined Feb 2008
19 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys, that little picture of the Wizard is actually a great help.
I can draw up a set of plans that will be close enough for me. I had quite a lot of fun with that model so many years ago. Back when I had that model it was powered by a very loud (and oily) Cox TD.020. Thanks again Cheers!!
Andy

...80 UK pounds on Ebay.. whoa!
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:43 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Well its a generic slab side high wing cabin monoplane..a dime a dozen at that size..

049 power seems rather a lot gor 32". I'd definitrely put something like 30W of power into that for RC..which is pretty much 020 as you say.

Good luck with the plans..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:11 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,528 Posts
It's a lot by today's standards but it was right in keeping with the old early pre Cox and other hotter 049's.

Put a Spitzy or similar in there and it would be a good match.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:27 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Nope, 32" span, Wen-Mac 049 shown on the plan. Mind you, a Wen-Mac was all sound and no fury, not all that willing to hang in a thermal at 6-7oz. I know all this because I am looking at the plan (by Mercury) right now! The plan calls up any engine from .5 to .8cc.

No copyright date given, but I seem to remember it being advertised in Aeromodeller in the early 50s.

I willl likely pass this plan on to Applehoney if he wants it; I don't have a copy center within 35 miles of me. Izzat okay, Jim?
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle